cazzaj

getting tools over???

hi my oh is an electrician and we hopefully going over in september as we have done our medicals and police reports so just waiting and hoping !!!!

we have been looking at different airlines and see most have a 20kg baggage allowence.we know emerates have a 30kg but we have just flown with them and was not that impressed and they are the most expensive so we were looking at singapore as theres only one stop to which makes it more apealing with 2 kids in tow..

our worris were that my husband needs to take important tools over that he will need straight away so we are worried about going over baggage allowence as ive no idea how much stuff to take as i know most of our belongings will be shipped and take a whille!!

much appreciated for any advice on this or anyone elses experiance on getting tools over,airlines,baggage......thanks:goofy:

hi my oh is an electrician and we hopefully going over in september as we have done our medicals and police reports so just waiting and hoping !!!!

we have been looking at different airlines and see most have a 20kg baggage allowence.we know emerates have a 30kg but we have just flown with them and was not that impressed and they are the most expensive so we were looking at singapore as theres only one stop to which makes it more apealing with 2 kids in tow..

our worris were that my husband needs to take important tools over that he will need straight away so we are worried about going over baggage allowence as ive no idea how much stuff to take as i know most of our belongings will be shipped and take a whille!!

much appreciated for any advice on this or anyone elses experiance on getting tools over,airlines,baggage......thanks:goofy:

Hi, we are looking to fly early Sept and emailed Singapore Airlines re their baggage allowance and they replied today stating that they will allow you 40kgs per passenger as long as you have proof that this is your 1st flight on your visa and that you havent previously flown out to validate it BUT only from Manchester for some reason, and having looked at the flights from Manchester they stop at Munich and Singapore, making it a long flight and they are slightly dearer than the flights out of Heathrow.

We are going to email again asking why they dont give extra allowance from Heathrow..bizarre!

Good luck with this part of your journey!

Sarah

Guest moonraker1959

Can you send the tools separately?Will you have an address in Adelaide before you leave?Or maybe you know someone in Adelaide that you could send them to?There are companies that supply tea chest type boxes.

Guest Ricky

Hi i flew with Singapore Airlines on the 20th of May 2011 and they let me take 40kgs of luggage in 2 bags with 7kgs of hand luggage for no extra cost ,you just have to show your visa at check in desk, i booked my flight with Thomson ,not sure about bringing tools over on the plane thou i think they have to be cleaned and checked first ,my tools are coming over with my belongings in 8/10 weeks time, I didnt trust booking a flight online in case they charged me extra at the airport, i have heard of some really expensive charges being made for over 20kgs at check in Hope this help you

As long as they are all cleaned properly i wouldnt of thought takeing them on as luggage would be a problem.

Guest hughescl
    Hi, we are looking to fly early Sept and emailed Singapore Airlines re their baggage allowance and they replied today stating that they will allow you 40kgs per passenger as long as you have proof that this is your 1st flight on your visa and that you havent previously flown out to validate it BUT only from Manchester for some reason, and having looked at the flights from Manchester they stop at Munich and Singapore, making it a long flight and they are slightly dearer than the flights out of Heathrow.

We are going to email again asking why they dont give extra allowance from Heathrow..bizarre!

Good luck with this part of your journey!

Sarah

Hi

we are flying with Singapore from heathrow and have an email with our booking ref confirming that we can get the 40kg as first time migrants. They have also said we can bring tools and it will use part of our allowance, they need to be packed securley and clean. I realy hope we don't get any hassle at the airport Claire

Hi

we are flying with Singapore from heathrow and have an email with our booking ref confirming that we can get the 40kg as first time migrants. They have also said we can bring tools and it will use part of our allowance, they need to be packed securley and clean. I realy hope we don't get any hassle at the airport Claire

Hi Claire, we emailed Singapore again to query why only Manchester and they emailed back that it was Heathrow too, OH had read email incorrect, cos it said London/Manchester he just thought that was Manchester..we live near Luton and thats known as London/Luton so he thought Manchester was the same!! they confirmed that it applies to Heathrow as long as the visa hasnt already been validated so you will be okay. When you going?

Sarah

Guest hughescl
    Hi Claire, we emailed Singapore again to query why only Manchester and they emailed back that it was Heathrow too, OH had read email incorrect, cos it said London/Manchester he just thought that was Manchester..we live near Luton and thats known as London/Luton so he thought Manchester was the same!! they confirmed that it applies to Heathrow as long as the visa hasnt already been validated so you will be okay. When you going?

Sarah

I was starting to panic lol, you hear so many threads where people have got to the airport and had a battle when checking in. We fly on June 26th, time is flying by. When are you going, do you have flights booked yet? Claire:D

Guest Janine3979

Hi,

We shipped all our tools over but took one in our baggage that we had forgot to pack and got stopped at every airport with questions about what it was and why we were taking it etc.

You can get stuff sent over in cargo which will take around 2 weeks and is not that expensive and you can collect from the airport when you arrive. Speak to your airline and see if they can arrange it for you. Just make sure there is no rust as they may get held up in quarantine and cost you a fortune.

Good Luck

I was starting to panic lol, you hear so many threads where people have got to the airport and had a battle when checking in. We fly on June 26th, time is flying by. When are you going, do you have flights booked yet? Claire:D

Hi Claire, bet your starting to panic!!! Thats pretty close now! We have to wait for house sale to go through, have signed the contracts just gota exchange (though the buyers want to come round tonight for another look and am panicking that they are going to pull out!) BUT being positive we are flying out on 31st August, soon as the contracts have exchanged those flights are being booked!

You got house, job etc lined up? We have house sorted, we are renting from some friends who emigrated 4years ago, which is a massive relief! There is just soooo much to think about!

Sarah:)

Guest hughescl
    Hi Claire, bet your starting to panic!!! Thats pretty close now! We have to wait for house sale to go through, have signed the contracts just gota exchange (though the buyers want to come round tonight for another look and am panicking that they are going to pull out!) BUT being positive we are flying out on 31st August, soon as the contracts have exchanged those flights are being booked!

You got house, job etc lined up? We have house sorted, we are renting from some friends who emigrated 4years ago, which is a massive relief! There is just soooo much to think about!

Sarah:)

Hi we have a 4 week rental sorted and then going to have a look around still not 100% on which area yet, although port noarlunga is the front runner at the moment, your so lucky with your rental I bet that's a lot of your mind. Good luck with the house just keep positive, they may be coming as they are so excited to move in. Paul has a job lined up so will start 2 weeks after we arrive, I'm going to get the boys settled then look for something. The packers are coming tomorrow so I will be glad to get that over with. Good luck and keep me updated on your flights Claire:)

Hi we have a 4 week rental sorted and then going to have a look around still not 100% on which area yet, although port noarlunga is the front runner at the moment, your so lucky with your rental I bet that's a lot of your mind. Good luck with the house just keep positive, they may be coming as they are so excited to move in. Paul has a job lined up so will start 2 weeks after we arrive, I'm going to get the boys settled then look for something. The packers are coming tomorrow so I will be glad to get that over with. Good luck and keep me updated on your flights Claire:)

Hi Claire, well it was fine yesterday, he just wanted a few measurements and check out the upstairs carpets, but all still going through, so still online for 31st August!

Good luck with your packers, who have you used, are you taking everything? Thats good that Paul already has a job lined up, thats my main worry, getting a job, but hey am prepared to take anything to get some money in. OMG you go in under 3 weeks time...i will be in panic mode at that point and dreading saying goodbye to everyone!

Good luck tomorrow, hope its stress free!!:goofy:

Sarah

Guest hughescl
    Hi Claire, well it was fine yesterday, he just wanted a few measurements and check out the upstairs carpets, but all still going through, so still online for 31st August!

Good luck with your packers, who have you used, are you taking everything? Thats good that Paul already has a job lined up, thats my main worry, getting a job, but hey am prepared to take anything to get some money in. OMG you go in under 3 weeks time...i will be in panic mode at that point and dreading saying goodbye to everyone!

Good luck tomorrow, hope its stress free!!:goofy:

Sarah

Hi that's good news. We are using crown as we are not taking everything using about just over half a container, we picked them as they are one company end to end and include the customs fee upfront. 18 days until we fly, I am dreading saying the goodbyes which start this weekend :sad:, good luck with the house Claire