Ferret

Electrical advice

Have a new dishwasher now in my kitchen but can't run the washing machine at the same time, as it trips the switch and cuts the power on that circuit. Even putting the kettle on for a brew at the same time has as caused it to trip. Did also have an electric heater running in the bedroom.

Can anyone tell what would rectify the the problem ?

Guest Squareman

Use and extension cord and try running the washing machine and dishwasher on a different circuit. They both pull a lot of power but shouldn't overload one circuit. Could be a socket problem too.

You're also a City fan. Not sure if this would have an effect on it.

The washer and dishwasher are all built in and I guess the extension thing is a short fix but realistically not long term. Guess I will have to call a sparky out for advice/cost etc.

Guest The sparky

WOW my dishwashers over 40 years old and uses no electricity (unless she puts the light on)

Cheap solution- Do clothes washing at different time to washing pots (and dont buy a tumble dryer)

Or get a sparky to run a new circuit to the laundry.

If it is 60s/70s built house they used to only put in 2 power circuits.

As people put more appliances in the house they are added onto the nearest circuit thus overloading the circuit.

I dont have a laundry, my kitchen is open plan. I will get onto a sparky for a quote. Thanks for the replies.

Guest monkey-74

It could be as simple as overload but there may also be a more serious problem with the wiring or with the appliance. Get a professional in but if it is a new circuit that needs putting in it could cost you a lot of cash.

Guest cornish Busdriver

We had a new circut / ring put in for the EX's 10ft fishtank and 4ft sump (14 sockets) cost $400 all in.

Guest monkey-74

That seems like a great deal. Do you have his details? We were quoted triple that to put a circuit in the rumpus.

Guest cornish Busdriver
    That seems like a great deal. Do you have his details? We were quoted triple that to put a circuit in the rumpus.

Sorry aint got his number anymore but he's in the pages and address is on grand boulevard seaford rise, thats why i used him cause he was local.

Took about an hour and was very clean and tidy as well.