JimandBarbinAus

Support for poms who are unemployed in Adelaide?

Hi all,

The family and I are making the move to Adelaide in July 2012 on a SA state sponsored visa so we are now starting to tick off items from our "to do" list. My wife is a nurse but I fancy a career change, could anyone tell me what help and support is out their in Adelaide for poms who find themselves out of work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

We arrived at the end of February also on a state sponsored visa. My OH's a carpenter and when we came out 12 months ago to validate our visas the blokes here couldn't keep up with the work but apparently alot has changed since then! He managed to pick up some work for the first few weeks, actually through someone on this forum but since then he's had nothing. It seems all the work has dried up and there's no work which is really worrying and frustrating. We do get lots of help with family assistance and rent assistance though which is a real life line as we've got 3 kids. I dread to think what state we'd be in by now in the UK if we were in the similar situation. Certainly more financial help here. Obviously can't claim any dole as we have to be here for 2 years first but I suppose the reason why on the state sponsored visa you have to show that you've got x amount in the bank is just for this reason, so you can be self-sufficient until such time as you've found work. My OH's considering doing something completely different too like mining. Apparently that's starting to really take off. Good luck!

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for the response. Can I ask whatlevel of financial support is out their as I am also worried about getting work so I was wondering what rent assistance etc you would get, would they take any savings you have into consideration before making their decision? I am also looking at my employment options and mining has been one of them so I am keen to get a little more info on that but to be honest I am more happy to look at other options as long as it gets me into work.

Cheers

Cheers

I am recently put of work as a toomlaker and there isnt too much about, but i am also looking at having a change of career path...got a few things up in the air.

There os a lot of mining stuff going on and being advertised for roles...also i know its no good us guys in SA but Perth does seem to be having a bit of a jobs boom right now....we aint moving there..well noe yet anyway...lol

Good luck to all those looking...just a quick heads from what i have seen and heard manufactruing is on a big go slow at the moment woth alot of comapanies bringing work forward, my old comaony had just finished July's orders.

HG

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for the response. Can I ask whatlevel of financial support is out their as I am also worried about getting work so I was wondering what rent assistance etc you would get, would they take any savings you have into consideration before making their decision? I am also looking at my employment options and mining has been one of them so I am keen to get a little more info on that but to be honest I am more happy to look at other options as long as it gets me into work.

Cheers

Cheers

Basically what we're getting is approx $790 a fortnight which is a combination of family assistance and rent assistance. I learnt yesterday from Family SA that if you earn less than $45,000 a year (which is us at the moment as my OH's currently out of work) you're entitled to the maximum assistance. So yes, it does depend your income plus we have got 3 kids. No, they don't ask about your savings. If you've got a permanent residency visa you are entitled to some benefits. If you go on their web page you can actually calculate what you potentially are entitled to. All I can say with regard to the mining, or anything else actually that you may be interested in, get some licences under your belt, like forklift, truck etc. It seems that you need a licence for pretty much everything here. Try contacting the Office of Business and Consumer Affairs for that who'll be able to give you more advice. Don't do what we do and go to HIA who would have been more than happy to take our money for a package which we really probably wouldn't want but then don't actually tell you the work situation. Some places will take you on without licences if you go employed but you'll still need to get your white card which is really easy and straight forward.

Hope this helps!