Sign in to follow this  
Guest Greg and Karen

Got the visa...

Guest Greg and Karen

Hi everyone

This is our first post (we've only just stumbled across this website). We were granted our SIR 495 visas 10 December and we're still on cloud 9. It's something we've talked about for many years and now that its all come together it feels a little unreal to be honest.

For various reasons we don't plan to move until September 2008 (we have to enter Oz before 5 October) but the excitement is already mounting tempered by the realisation of what we still have to do. At least we've already managed to sell our house and move into rented accomodation next week.

Our first choice had been Sydney but we fell short on the points so we took the SIR route and I must admit we did think it might be a case of putting up with Adelaide until we got permanent residency.....that is until we spent a month in Adelaide last Christmas and fell in love with the place. Now we very much see our long-term future there and cannot wait to get back.

We have a 4 year old daughter and she is the main reason we're moving away from the UK. Any tips on good primary schools would be appreciated. One area we have our eye on is Blackwood; again any opinions on this or other areas would be great.

Anyway, we shall be logging on a lot over the coming months and who knows maybe see some of you in sunny Adelaide in future.

Greg, Karen & Ella

Guest Tracijbc

Congratulations! It's an amazing feeling isn't it! We have been on a whole rollercoaster of swinging between what are we doing and OMG!! since we got our visa.

Have the best Christmas and we'll see you for a barbie next year. We are planning on leaving the UK on 30th April 2008.

Traci and Matt xx

Guest graandjac

:jiggy:Hi guys congratulations with the visa great feeling to have the visa in the bag we got ours returned in our pasports today , but Jacqui is not home yet so the bubbly is on ice for the envelope opening , welcome to PIA its agreat site with some great people.

Cheers Graham & jacqui;)

Guest soggy

Congratulations on getting your visa and welcome to PIA.

I too was hoping to go elsewhere but had to go SIR 495, ive not been there yet but from what I have found from reserch and this site Adelaide may just be what Ive wanted all along.:)

Simon

Guest lynne

Hi Greg Karen and Ella,

My husbands friend has liven in Blackwood for 40 years and he and his friends love the e area. Saying that he has never had any children so I do not know if it is child friendly

Lynne

We have a 4 year old daughter and she is the main reason we're moving away from the UK. Any tips on good primary schools would be appreciated. One area we have our eye on is Blackwood; again any opinions on this or other areas would be great.

Anyway, we shall be logging on a lot over the coming months and who knows maybe see some of you in sunny Adelaide in future.

Greg, Karen & Ella

Guest jetskitony

Hi,

thats great news congratulations,we are also looking to move about sept next year if we get our visa.

Myrtle,Tony,Callum

Guest mOZzy

hello hello and welcome :wubclub:

congratulations!!!!!! you must be over the moon!

great to hear that you fell in love with adelaide after a months visit - makes it more exciting for us who haven't been (won't go before)!!!

good luck :)

Guest Kiki

congrats and welcome.

Its the same for us. We waited so long like everyone else and when it comes it just pure shock...horror.

Good luck with al your plans

Kimberley x

Guest Blackcat

Hi Karen and family

We have been in here for 7 weeks now and love it. We are living in Blackwood, with our kids the youngest who is 11 and goes to Blackwood Primary School, she hasn't been there long, but really likes it and says school is much more fun over here! It is a nice area with all the attractions of the hills and about 15 mins to the nearest beach, 10 mins to the big Marion shopping mal and about 25 mins to the city. There is the Wittunga botanical gardens across the road from us and Belair national park not far away, also there is a great selection of shops and cafes in Blackwood to choose from. Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions, Gina

Guest rockpool crab

Congratulations to you all!!

We too are hoping to get the SIR 495. What did you come over on? Ours is "Systems Manager". We came over for a visit in July and loved it ..can't wait to get back either :-)

Happy days :-)

Guest Libby1971

Many congratulations to you on getting your visa.

I still remember the whirlwind of emotions that ran through me when we got the call - I was laughing and crying and shaking all at the same time and as I put the phone down I thought damn, now I had better book some flights!

We've been here 8 months and I am now beginning to see a long term future for us all here.

Libby

Guest Greg and Karen
    Hi Karen and family

We have been in here for 7 weeks now and love it. We are living in Blackwood, with our kids the youngest who is 11 and goes to Blackwood Primary School, she hasn't been there long, but really likes it and says school is much more fun over here! It is a nice area with all the attractions of the hills and about 15 mins to the nearest beach, 10 mins to the big Marion shopping mal and about 25 mins to the city. There is the Wittunga botanical gardens across the road from us and Belair national park not far away, also there is a great selection of shops and cafes in Blackwood to choose from. Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions, Gina

Hi Gina

many thanks for the info on Blackwood.....as we look out over the grey London skies, Adelaide sounds even more appealing! Hope your new life down under continues to go from strength to strength.

all the best,

Karen & Greg

Guest Greg and Karen
    Congratulations to you all!!

We too are hoping to get the SIR 495. What did you come over on? Ours is "Systems Manager". We came over for a visit in July and loved it ..can't wait to get back either :-)

Happy days :-)

Hi Rockpool

I came over as a "Marketing Manager". Husband Greg came over as a "Records Manager" although since then he has qualified as a solicitor.

The hardest part is waiting for the visa. To give you an idea of timeframe, we lodged our application online on March 22 last year. We got our case officer in September at which point we did our police checks and medicals (we didn't want to front load these because we don't want to move over until Sept 2008). We got approved visas about six weeks after submitting medicals.

We'll keep fingers crossed for you - I'm sure you'll have no problems.

All the best.