alymacck

Wirreanda High School

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any info about Wirreanda High School please? We have bought a house recently and i have just discovered that high schools are zoned and we are only zoned for Wirreanda and Christies Beach i think. Any opinions would be good, thanks.

Guest katsmajic

Personally, I've only heard good, know a couple of aussies with kids there and theyve not had any issues, its very sports orientated - more so than other local high schools.

Christies - a friends daughter went there and was bullied mercilessly and when she finally retaliated and fought back was excluded! and the police were called - yet school didnt call police when friends daughter was attacked and beaten to the ground by 6 other girls! Defo a school to avoid.

Theres good and bad everywhere, it does depend on what your child is like too - I.E. easily led/strong willed etc - my sheep of a son ended up in loads of trouble following the 'in' crowd @ Seaford 6-12.

Guest Trakki

Funnily enough I was talking about wirreanda high school with someone yesterday. She said it doesn't have a good reputation, it used to but not in recent years. she did say however that their sports are good. Can't help more than that I am afraid, not had anything to do with it myself.

Guest katsmajic

Good n bad everywhere...

but i know i would never ever even consider sending my kids to christies - yet would consider when the time comes, sending Seb to Wirreanda as hes so sports orientated...

I know lots of kids who have done ok at seaford - but mine and so many others have had hell there....

same as i know kids at/been to Tatachillia - just cos its private doesnt mean its better by any means at all - alot of kids kicked out of state schools get funded to go to Tat, and the local drug dealers send their kids to Tat too....

only my opinion and based on what i have experienced...most kids will do well whatever school they go to - it depends on the child to be honest.

Funnily enough I was talking about wirreanda high school with someone yesterday. She said it doesn't have a good reputation, it used to but not in recent years. she did say however that their sports are good. Can't help more than that I am afraid, not had anything to do with it myself.

Guest Pam777

i'd say wirreanda would a better choice than christies from what i've heard

Guest Opportunities

Hi,

I see that you reside in Woodcroft, any comments on Reynella East Collge and Reynella East Primary?

Karen

x

Guest Opportunities
    Good n bad everywhere...

but i know i would never ever even consider sending my kids to christies - yet would consider when the time comes, sending Seb to Wirreanda as hes so sports orientated...

I know lots of kids who have done ok at seaford - but mine and so many others have had hell there....

same as i know kids at/been to Tatachillia - just cos its private doesnt mean its better by any means at all - alot of kids kicked out of state schools get funded to go to Tat, and the local drug dealers send their kids to Tat too....

only my opinion and based on what i have experienced...most kids will do well whatever school they go to - it depends on the child to be honest.

Hi,

Thanks for the useful info re the high schools. I agree it is definitely what any child makes of a school, but it is great to hear about people who has first hand experience. We have looked at Woodcroft area to live in and our eldest (15) and the middle daughter(9) would go to Reynella East College and Reynella East Primary.

We have now also looked at Seaford Rise/Meadows to live in, but then we only have Seaford School 6-12 or Christies Beach, to opt for and I am now clear abouth Christies as per your info.

It is so difficult to make such a huge decision re schooling as it is already not ideal moving kids around from one country to another.

Any advice?

Karen

x

Guest Trakki
    Hi,

I see that you reside in Woodcroft, any comments on Reynella East Collge and Reynella East Primary?

Karen

x

I don't know anything about Reynella East primary as my 3 oldest go to Woodcroft primary which I cannot fault at all, they all settled really well and now we have moved to Seaford Meadows chose to stay there which I am more than happy with, a 15 min drive in the morning to school for 3 happy children doing well and thriving is worth it. I have heard lots of good things about Reynella East high school and we will definitely consider that for ours when they get old enough, providied we have moved back to the catchment area by then. I see you have a younger child, for this I would highly recommend Bains Road preschool when he is old enough.

HTH

Guest Pam777

my 13 yr old started at Reynella East college this year. it seems ok so far. my younger child goes to Reynella Primary school which is a great school. I have heard good reports about reynella east primary too.

Guest Opportunities
    my 13 yr old started at Reynella East college this year. it seems ok so far. my younger child goes to Reynella Primary school which is a great school. I have heard good reports about reynella east primary too.

Thanks for your response! Just curious, why did you enrol her at Reynella Primary and not at Reynella East Primary that just next door to the High School?

Really appreciate your thoughts on the college though!

Karen

x

Guest Pam777

when i moved over i had a 2yr old and a 7 yr old. Reynella primary is right next door to a great childcare centre surrounded by beautiful fields etc. it was perfect. my new in laws did all the research for me before i got her and found it for me. reynella east primary and reynella east high have only just merged this year and created reynella east college R-12, they are having alot of work done and upgrades so is going to be a great school. we live a lot closer to reynella east but i dont mind the extra bit of journey to get to a good school.

Both my kids go to Wirreanda, my daughter had it rough for a couple of months with one girl inparticular and the school dragged it's arse, but they have since appointed a new principal and he is really good sorted my daughters problem within a week, kept us informed and my daughter is now happy, well as happy as a 14 yr old can be. She is in yr 9 and my son is in yr 11. Had a look at Christies beach high and it didn't "feel right" to us so we opted for Wirreanda.

Well after speaking to DECS i have discovered that we are only actually zoned for Christies Beach High School!!!! We are apparently just on the borderline for Wirreanda. Wish i had known that High schools were zoned so could have taken it into consideration when we were house buying! Still got a couple of years before any of my kids will move up so fingers crossed Christies improves or the zones change or we have a really good reason to go to a different one!!:o

Most schools will accept out of zone students if they have any places left, it's only the really really popular schools that don't have any places left that say no. My daughter has a friend who lives in huntfield heights and she goes to seaford and another friend lives in willunga and goes to wirreanda. so don't worry you only need to buy a house in a popular school zone then you are guaranteed a place.