Diane

Australia IS a different country

Following on from another thread which has caused some discussion over what words are acceptable to use and which are not, I thought I'd put this link up so that newbies can see that what would have had some of us drop-jawed in horror in the UK, might not be quite so unacceptable here in Australia.

Parents of young children might like to prevent their children clicking on this link to a story in the South Australian daily newspaper!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/road-safety-minister-tom-kenyon-wants-wrs-off-south-australia-roads/story-e6frea83-1226068584901

The W word is not considered offensive here. It's offensive to call someone a mongrel!

Thanks for that Diane! That last line was the best- typical, straightforward Aussie humour (imho!)

It seems strange to me that people come over, glorying in the perceived anti-pc thinking here...then get upset when an example of it comes up.

Language here is different but I think the intention is also different. I don't think most people, when using words such as wog, pom, pi$$,the two words used in the article, bugger..or even the word from the 'other' post, use them loaded with the negative connotations recognised in the UK. And whilst I am totally certain that the poster meant to deeply deride / mock soccer (sorry Diane ;)) I am sure as he didn't mean it in a homophobic way.

I was just down the beach thinking about the footy thread and thanks to Diane I came back to a perfect example of what I wanted to say!

:notworthy:LC

Thanks for that. A simple hitting of the Thanks button didn't seem sufficient - I thought I was a lone voice in the darkness!!

Guest rich

To be honest I get what you're saying, but i don't think it's necessarily correct saying that those words have a negative connotation in the UK but not so much here. It's an entirely personal thing that transcends national stereotypes. Some love it, some hate it, but surely common sense decrees that it should be kept strictly in certain situations (like not in an advertising campaign, and not on a public forum)... and besides, regardless of acceptiblity, none of them are words you'd want to teach your kids are they?

but surely common sense decrees that it should be kept strictly in certain situations (like not in an advertising campaign, and not on a public forum)...

and besides, regardless of acceptiblity, none of them are words you'd want to teach your kids are they?

I agree that in a perfect world none of us would use language that might cause offense ...but this isn't a perfect world lol! it's a forum which, I think, can take pride in the way people seem to relax and speak freely. And to me, that's where the problem lies. I do not believe that generally anyone wants to be deliberately offensive, I think they write as they speak....and imho we get used to using words which might not be considered PC or that might have a different meaning here...because that's the way we speak.

As for words I might want to teach my kids, well that made me chuckle! There are so many words I would rather my kids had learned,some have been around since Shakespeare and others have changed in meaning over time. Living here I would rather my kids did not use words like 'root' but I'm guessing few people on here would worry about that one! :biglaugh:

But I do take your point Rich :)

LC

And Diane, I do not think with your good-nature and common sense, you will ever be a "lone voice in the darkness" lol!