Could it be Adelaide?

Guest CrazyDiamond

Guest CrazyDiamond

Hi there!

We're a family of 4 from South Shields hoping to move to Australia a few years from now. We didn't have a clear idea of which state we liked the look of when we made the decision to move but after looking at various info on the internet including this website, are starting to swing towards a move to Adelaide.

As I'll have to retrain and work in a new trade for a couple of years before we can lodge an application I'm a little concerned that by the time I've done this, the numbers will be filled and the skills removed from the shortage list. I'm looking to retrain as a wall and floor tiler and plasterer.

I hope we can make it a reality as we don't really want to grow old in 'not so sunny' South Shields :arghh:

Guest CrazyDiamond

Adelaide sounds a bit more relaxed, less populated than other cities and we're not really into the big city life. The beaches and hills look stunning, great for long walks with the dog, The seasonal climate would suit us, all blondies so wouldn't want scorching all year round! I've read a number of views from Brits who've made it their home and they've been positive on most things, schooling, roads, shops and general quality of life, while I've read some negative opinions on other areas. House prices are said to be lower than other parts of Oz and it's a growing economy.

We've just a good feeling about the place but plan to take a trip over before we make any decision.

Guest essess

Hi from a wee bit further north!

Yes, definitely go for a look see before you decide. I have lived in Adelaide (married to an Aussie who now lives here in sunny Northumberland lol) and it is a beautiful city. The actual city centre itself is only around a square mile, but the suburbs are huge..Id say from South Shields to Hexham, and theyre all different so you need a good look around.

We went back to visit his family last June, and it was bl***y freezing! But in their summer it can get to be 40c+ at 2 in the morning!

For me its Pink Floyd, not Barry Manilow or Take That.

RIP Syd Barrett

Don't be fooled into thinking that because we get cold winters here that you are any safer from the sun than other parts of Australia. In fact Queensland, although warmer all year round, has much more cloud cover. The sun here is very powerful, the skies are regularly deep blue without a cloud in sight. I know many fair-skinned people with big lumps cut out of them through skin cancer.