Getting Ready To Go Over Is Really Hard

minty

Well i thought getting the visa was going to be the hard bit and we did it ourselves and to be honest it wasnt to bad but now the house is sold (stc) im starting to realise just how much there is to do in the next 6-10 weeks.

Im making lists for everything, list for whats coming, lists for whats staying, paperwork, what to do when we get there, car to sell but not to early, schools, trade stuff to still do, families, removals, sell things, luggage to pack/allowance, flights to book, accomadation, and the lists just keep on coming.

This part is much harder then i thought it would be.

Yes it is hard.... we have just under 3 weeks to go now and I felt like you did when I was at that stage, I just felt really overwhelmed by everything and a feeling of panic also, I just started with a spreadsheet and just kept adding to it when I remembered stuff I needed to do otherwise I would be sure to forget it with all the stuff going round in my head!!

Like you say, you think the visa process is the hard part (we did ours too) but that was easy compared to this and also not helped by the fact that my husband is already in Oz and I am here with kids, but it will come together in the end, I am feeling more relaxed about it now as all the big things are done.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Julie

Guest moviemummy

Hi

I feel quite organised but still really worried about forgetting something too.

We said goodbye to close friends of ours this afternoon, they stay in England - we are in Scotland and between one thing and another this was the last free week we could get together. It was so hard. I am now even more concerned about saying goodbye to my parents and wee sister.

I keep holding on to the thoughts of a better life etc.

Sorry for the rant but this is by far the most complicated thing, in every sense that we have done. Just feeling a little anxious. Thanks to all on here, I know I am not alone.

L x

Guest moonraker1959

Just take each step as it comes!Seriously I know it seems like a mountain of stuff to do,but you'll gradually work your way through it all,and before you know it,you'll be heading for the airport!:cute:Its not the destination,its the journey!

Guest shella_n

Totally understand how you feel. I organised EVERYTHING for our move ( hubby just caught the plane lol ) and removed in with my parents the week before we left. I was so stressed out my dad found me in tears one morning - just the slightest thing had gone wrong and I lost it.

My advice is just give yourselves a break - if you forget something it can soon be replaced, you can still deal with things in the uk from here if u have to ( I has to sell my car from here with the help of my parents).

I thought when I got here the majority of hard work would be over, but it wasn't the cast ( for me anyway). So it ended up being a couple of months of severe stress. Try and enjoy your last few weeks in uk and accept ANY help that is offered and don't forget to BREATHE!

Good luck to all about to make the move. We will have been here a year in a week or so- can't believe it !

Michelle

Guest gabriel
Hi

I feel quite organised but still really worried about forgetting something too.

We said goodbye to close friends of ours this afternoon, they stay in England - we are in Scotland and between one thing and another this was the last free week we could get together. It was so hard. I am now even more concerned about saying goodbye to my parents and wee sister.

I keep holding on to the thoughts of a better life etc.

Sorry for the rant but this is by far the most complicated thing, in every sense that we have done. Just feeling a little anxious. Thanks to all on here, I know I am not alone.

L x

I keep holding on to the thoughts of a better life too ...I've been so up & down the last week its been really hard...my labyrinthitus is back (stress related) ...im so close to my younger sister that i'm wondering how we will both cope..had wobbles everyday wondering if i'm doing the right thing..because I've had bad anxiety this week my sis has been saying are you sure you want to do it? !! YES I do...I know its the best move for my kids & for me too I hate the UK winters!

I hate being unorganised too..I want everyhting done tomorrow & I have to learn I can only do a bit at a time. I agree it's the most complicated thing I have ever done in my life!! We will get there!!

T x

Guest hughescl
I keep holding on to the thoughts of a better life too ...I've been so up & down the last week its been really hard...my labyrinthitus is back (stress related) ...im so close to my younger sister that i'm wondering how we will both cope..had wobbles everyday wondering if i'm doing the right thing..because I've had bad anxiety this week my sis has been saying are you sure you want to do it? !! YES I do...I know its the best move for my kids & for me too I hate the UK winters!

I hate being unorganised too..I want everyhting done tomorrow & I have to learn I can only do a bit at a time. I agree it's the most complicated thing I have ever done in my life!! We will get there!!

T x

Reading these posts I feel so much better, I thought I was going mad last week so stressed and had a serious case of the wobbles particulaly as Tuesday was my last day in work. The packers are coming this week and hopefully I will feel less stressed when all our bits have gone, then whatever I have forgotten we will just deal with. I totaly know what you mean about being unorganised this is my biggest downfall, hopefully a new life in a more laid back environment will do us the world of good lol. Good luck everyone Claire x

Hi

Can I just say thanks to you expressing exactly how i'm feeling tonight! Mostly I have been very excited, and all plans coming together, but had a wee spanner in the works tonight and felt like the end of the world! Not helped by OH managing to avoid all organising by being in Japan, or by the wine i have consumed this evening!

Have six shifts left at work then feel will be able to concentate on the important stuff.

We've all got this far, just have to keep going!

Gill x

Guest leemina
Well i thought getting the visa was going to be the hard bit and we did it ourselves and to be honest it wasnt to bad but now the house is sold (stc) im starting to realise just how much there is to do in the next 6-10 weeks.

Im making lists for everything, list for whats coming, lists for whats staying, paperwork, what to do when we get there, car to sell but not to early, schools, trade stuff to still do, families, removals, sell things, luggage to pack/allowance, flights to book, accomadation, and the lists just keep on coming.

This part is much harder then i thought it would be.

I've been saying the same to hubby for a few weeks, we've got a lot to do but he's of the opinion that it'll all get done ......eventually. I've got lists for everything and keep ticking them off once done, i've got my lists to do and his lists to do and then one that we have to do together. Theres certain things that we cant tick off till we get there, but hey a whole new lot of lists to complete..... bring it on!!!

Guest taunton

Hi All

We have 24 days left in the UK before we fly, got shipper in next week, things getting really stressful, and this is the 2nd time we've done it..

My advise , take a deep breath, when you get stressed stop what you are doing and take time out....everything will get done one way or an other...

We have just sold car through a company that advertising on the TV and radio, we buy any car . com.....they were super, got excellent price, double the price of the car company we bought it from, money in the bank the next day...brillant...our experience has been just great with them..

Have started the goodbyes, got one big one to do on fathers day, heading off up north for the day to see my dad then on the way back calling into see mother-in-law, really not looking forward to that day at all....

We are staying with mother for the wek before we leave, so that is going to be stressful and emotional, but on a positive note she is coming out in January for 3 months so we are looking forward to that already...

To you all....

This is the 2nd time round for us, it is stressful , emotionally and draining, just keep in mind why you are doing it, and lok forward...

Good luck to everyone nearly there and in the middle of getting there..

Wend :cute::notworthy:

• 2 months later...
Guest SusieOR

I have just read through all these posts (I subscribed to the thread ages ago cause i knew I would need it at some point!!!) & just wanted to say thanks... it makes me realise i am not going mad...

I got so paniced the other day I nearly couldnt breathe... But I now have my spreadsheet up on my wall & have put up a list of things to do... I was worrying about all this stuff i have to do with no immediate family living near to help, 2 young kids & a hubby who is at work full time... but then i realise I am luckier than some cause some of you guys dont have ur hubby's around to help at all at the mo...

I am assuming most of you guys have moved already or are very near to moving, so i hope it has all gone well / is going well...

Take care... Susie

Guest jordanfamily

Hi we moved out last October and can still remember the horrible feelings of panic as the day of leaving arrived ! Just take one step at a time and be sure there will be stuff you leave in UK ( I came without my leather jacket , left hanging up in mother in laws hallway lol) . Every so often we ask each other why on earth we didn't ship certain things over but as has been said already , you can always buy what you need.

It is an incredibly brave thing to do but so worth it. Good luck

all best

Jo

The whole process is stressful. We thought getting the visa was stressful...then came the build up to the move, that was even more stressful. We thought that at least when we got here the stress would be over and we could enjoy it. WRONG...thats when the stress relly starts! Im sure at some point we will look at our life and think yessssss it was all worth it. im just waiting for that time now.......

Guest boesman

Glad to let some steam off here too. We still have 4 months left before we leave which seems so faa-aaa-aar away and yet so little time to save more money and pay for things like shippers. Our tickets are bought and flat is still on the market. Also realised that our flat has 80 years ,only, left on the lease which means either another £7000 to top up to 99 years if carry on renting it out or sell now! I want to pack, but too early, keep throwing things out, but then keep buying clothes aaaarrggg. Also have those panicking moments thinking we are mad to do this and going with money to keep us going for three months only should hubby take so long to find work... GOD forbid. I know in a few years we will look back and know that it will was all worth it.

:smile:

Guest pixie7
Glad to let some steam off here too. We still have 4 months left before we leave which seems so faa-aaa-aar away and yet so little time to save more money and pay for things like shippers. Our tickets are bought and flat is still on the market. Also realised that our flat has 80 years ,only, left on the lease which means either another £7000 to top up to 99 years if carry on renting it out or sell now! I want to pack, but too early, keep throwing things out, but then keep buying clothes aaaarrggg. Also have those panicking moments thinking we are mad to do this and going with money to keep us going for three months only should hubby take so long to find work... GOD forbid. I know in a few years we will look back and know that it will was all worth it.

:smile:

I know exactly wot you mean- were not going until 5th Jan (not booked tickets yet... on list lol!) so seems to far off to start doing things but not enough pay days until then! We have a similar 3/4 months stash and crossing my fingers and toes OH gets job asap (and me). When do you go? what jobs you looking for?

x

We moved out last October too! We were lucky that we did not have time to panic. My husband went for a job April 2010 heard that he had got the job at the end of June and then he arrived in September. That left me to pack the house and fly out with my 3 kids. I was lucky that my mother in law was able to fly out with me. We have loved every minute since being here and are now buying our first house here. Waking up to a beautiful day tells us exactly why we moved!

Guest SusieOR

I just cant wait till this is over...

My hubby just keeps saying to me... what ever happens we are flying on 16th Nov... anything we havent done by then doesnt matter!!! Which is true, but I am worrying about things like, getting the house rented, renewing his passport (which I only remembered needs doing last night, it expires in Dec & we fly in Nov!!!) & getting it back on time (Irish passport system is terrible)!

Anyway, I am going to try & do some things while my daughter is asleep at the mo... Sx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boesman

Hi, pixie7, we are flying out on the 12th of Jan. My hubby a tiler. I don't know if you have a place to stay in ~Adelaide, but if not, I would advise to look for a rental (short let) first before booking flights. It is high season and when I bought our tickets 2 months ago, I could hardly find any accomodation and once I found a place available, I booked the tickets. Keep us posted on how your getting on too!

Guest richardsons

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum a couple of months ago and although I haven't been posting anything I have been reading the site everyday to see all the updates! Just wanted to say am so glad I found this post. We have been going through the visa process for about 2 years now and for one reason or another we have had a few obstacles but now are waiting for the state sponsorship to be granted (2nd time round!) my husband initiated the move but over the last couple of weeks has been analysing whether it is the best thing to do - in general leaving family, what if can't find work etc. which has left me in a complete panic because it is definitely something i want to do! I would be grateful if anyone who has made the move could give me a few words of wisdom that i could show my husband as he just needs reasurrance and an outside opinion of this whole experience. Can't really talk to family as it will be a bit of a biased approach! Thank you so much in advance x

With my best friend, we couldn't bring ourselves to actually go through the horrendous goodbyes, so the last time we saw each other, we just said "See you soon" so it felt like we'd be seeing each other in the next few days, instead of after a couple of years! With true friends, however long you've been apart it seems like just days anyway as soon as you see each other again.

It is so hard, saying goodbye to everyone, but get everyone possible set up on Skype, make sure you have everyone's numbers and email addresses, and try to not look too far ahead into the future... one day at a time, then one week, then one month, and before you know it, you'll be posting your "One Year Anniversary" update!

Guest SusieOR
Hi everyone,

I joined the forum a couple of months ago and although I haven't been posting anything I have been reading the site everyday to see all the updates! Just wanted to say am so glad I found this post. We have been going through the visa process for about 2 years now and for one reason or another we have had a few obstacles but now are waiting for the state sponsorship to be granted (2nd time round!) my husband initiated the move but over the last couple of weeks has been analysing whether it is the best thing to do - in general leaving family, what if can't find work etc. which has left me in a complete panic because it is definitely something i want to do! I would be grateful if anyone who has made the move could give me a few words of wisdom that i could show my husband as he just needs reasurrance and an outside opinion of this whole experience. Can't really talk to family as it will be a bit of a biased approach! Thank you so much in advance x

I think everyone has doubted themselves at some point or another... It is natural, because it is such a big thing... tell him to remember why he wanted to start the process in the first place!

Also, I always think, if you try it & it doesnt work out... you have lost nothing but some money, you have had a life experience, and you can just come back to the UK (or wherever) again!!! but you will have no regrets later when you are too old to go for it!!! & as far as im concerned, life is for living with no regrets!!!

Good Luck guys...

YEP and the last 2 week its murder everyone wants a piece of you parents aunties cousins close friends work mates.

I dont think we have had one day to are selves plus the fact of selling cars and no transport the removal men sorting documents you name its a mad house.

never mind come Sunday we flyout

Good luck with your move.

Guest RobJ1978

Hi guys, i'm wondering if some of you would care to share these lists your making.....i love lists...but don't know where to start!

I am waiting for my Skills assessment, then applying for SS and then for 176...hoping and praying to get out there for May/June 2012. I have just heard this morning that i have a job, so i guess i am lucky as i know we will have an income, but currently me and hubby are working full time and have a 7 and soon to be 3 year old....so need to be organised!

Hope to hear from you soon

Nic.x.