Fire Wood

Bailey

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me how much you pay for a ton of firewood? we have just bought some for our first time and paid $315 for a ton..... thought that this was expensive! mind you we have left it a bit late - reason for price?........

Thanks

Fiona

Guest Chelseadownunder

Got ours from wood n logs $300 plus delivery $30 delivery is set at $30 so two ton would be $630. Not sure if thats good $230 sounds better.

Guest Chelseadownunder

I would be interested to know if aussies put up price in winter as they seem to do with their petrol at the end of the week

Guest Guest75
Tyke and Nick where is it for that price please?

On the corner of States Rd and Penney's Hill Rd there is a sign advertising firewood for around $220 a ton. I'll try and remember to get their number.

We're currently renting and can't believe how cold it is inside and are seriously considering having a wood burner when we buy and the prices you've mentioned are what I've picked up on too. How long would you expect a ton to last - I appreciate of course this depends on how often/long you've got your wood burner going.

We thought that one ton would last us for the 3 months...... however we do have other heating - but we are finding that we are getting through a lot even though we are using it 3-4 times a week!

If it was your only source of heating I would recommend 2 tons.....

Fiona

Guest Nick11

Completely agree.

Someone must be coming in the middle of the night to get ours..as it keeps disappearing very fast!!!

We are toastie warm though!!!

Completely agree.

Someone must be coming in the middle of the night to get ours..as it keeps disappearing very fast!!!

We are toastie warm though!!!

Lucky you, we're absolutely freezing, miserably so! My OH has been sat inside with his coat on and can still see his breath. I am definately more cold inside here than I ever was in the UK. We've got one reverse cycle heater in the lounge so at least we can get one room warm and we shut all the doors to keep the warmth in but that is it - there is no other heating and as it's all open plan with tiled floor so yes, it's cold. I must admit I really wasn't expecting to be this cold in Australia. It must have been in the small print!

Guest Nick11
Lucky you, we're absolutely freezing, miserably so! My OH has been sat inside with his coat on and can still see his breath. I am definately more cold inside here than I ever was in the UK. We've got one reverse cycle heater in the lounge so at least we can get one room warm and we shut all the doors to keep the warmth in but that is it - there is no other heating and as it's all open plan with tiled floor so yes, it's cold. I must admit I really wasn't expecting to be this cold in Australia. It must have been in the small print!

We learnt our lesson the hard way. We arrived here 4 years ago on Monday. We stayed in Picadilly in the hills. No heating at all. You could see your breath under the duvet...no kidding. First thing we did was buy 4 electric blankets and 4 oil heaters from Bunnings!!!!

Never been so cold in my life!!!!

Guest Nick11

Hubby went yesterday to get wood and it has gone up to $300 a tonne... but supplies are so low customers are only being allowed a certain amount..about $90 worth.

Guest guest569

My mate puts cheap wood on his burner ( not with poisonous fumes though !!) Pallets ect... and he just adds 1 good log a night as he says it burns slower. Does this sound about right ??

Guest Guest5035

i hear with the cheapo type wood it causes alot of soot?? I get all my kindling from work, old broken top frames as we call them , then get my wood, logs etc from my supplier.

Stevo

Guest Guest75

Burning too much pine will creosote the flue and impede the flow. The wood really needs to be nearly all hard wood. Plus you need to burn it hot on a regular basis.

I'd use a bit o pine for kindling but that's it.

• 1 month later...
i hear with the cheapo type wood it causes alot of soot?? I get all my kindling from work, old broken top frames as we call them , then get my wood, logs etc from my supplier.

Stevo

Steve you're not far off us - where do you get your wood (& do you know if they deliver)?

Running out this winter - for the first time in 3 years, can't rely on what has dropped off our own gum trees! Think I need a 1/2 a ton or so to last out the rest of the winter.

Cheers:)

Suzer

Guest Guest5035

at the moment where i get mine from has closed as the old fellas died, his son is deciding what to do. I did have a nosy on gumtree a week or so ago and there was a few on their that included delivery. Up our way theres alway the Golden Grove garden centre around $300 a ton and i think about $20 for delivery.

Stevo