IELTS advice

Guest helene73

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest helene73
Hi,

I honetly think you will have passed, Let us know if you have.

Jason

Hi Jason

I hope I have will let you all know, just need some divine intervention here or a computer hacker!! Lol

Guest helene73

Listening 8.0

Reading 7.0

Speaking 9.0

Writing 6.0

Total band score 7.5

Do I need to re-sit and get 7.0 in everything for the extra points? Or do they take the overall band score? HELP

Guest Adelaide_bound
Listening 8.0

Reading 7.0

Speaking 9.0

Writing 6.0

Total band score 7.5

Do I need to re-sit and get 7.0 in everything for the extra points? Or do they take the overall band score? HELP

Oh POO :( They take each band ie - you need at least 7 in each band for the points for getting a 7 :( Not too far off though, and yah! on the waffling, giggling speaky bit :D

If you want to do any practise papers Helene and send them to me I don't mind putting my teacher's hat on and marking them for you btw (Don't feel you have to, just if you want).

Guest helene73
Oh POO :( They take each band ie - you need at least 7 in each band for the points for getting a 7 :( Not too far off though, and yah! on the waffling, giggling speaky bit :D

If you want to do any practise papers Helene and send them to me I don't mind putting my teacher's hat on and marking them for you btw (Don't feel you have to, just if you want).

I am actually proud of myself I never thought I would get through the reading I would have done it! Poo

Poo poo.

I know what screwed me on the writing it sounds silly and makes me out to be a totally thicky but I never write! It's all by phone or pc and the only writing I do is at work and we fill record cards in using capitals so they are easy to read, I just need to break the habit which is easier said than done when it's become second nature now, OH is going to do lots of dictation with me, and I may take you up on your kind offer :)

So guys taking IELTS and your like me and never write except on your phones and computers don't forget to practise your writing skills :)

Guest helene73
Hi,

I think its a 7.5, Hopefully

Jason

Its a 7 in all 4 bands unfortunately :(

So missed out on the writing oh well gonna get the application filled out tomorrow ready to post on Monday, at least I know what to expect now.

Guest Opportunities

Helene,

Sorry to hear it did not go according to plan with the writing! Great going on the rest,though! At least everything will be much more familiar to you the second time around. Good luck!

Karen

x

Guest helene73
Helene,

Sorry to hear it did not go according to plan with the writing! Great going on the rest,though! At least everything will be much more familiar to you the second time around. Good luck!

Karen

x

Thanks Karen, rebooking tomorrow :) x

---

-

Guest ozfish

well done you!! i know you need to resit but at least it was just the writing...and you can just concentrate on thet now rather than going through all the other stuff...i looked on youtube at the writing videos ...simon something..and voxguru... and englishryan...all helped me!!!

you'll be fine next time...do you have a date yet???:eek:

Guest helene73
well done you!! i know you need to resit but at least it was just the writing...and you can just concentrate on thet now rather than going through all the other stuff...i looked on youtube at the writing videos ...simon something..and voxguru... and englishryan...all helped me!!!

you'll be fine next time...do you have a date yet???:eek:

oooohh i shall have a look at you tube then, just trying to book sunderland for the 3rd sept, it will mean staying overnight but i just want it out the way :) x

Guest ozfish

thats good that there is one quite soon, even if it means a night away! def hav a look at you tube it gives some really good pointers in how to structure the essay and what to put in or leave out!! it really helped me i would have put in all the wrong stuff if i hadn't looked at these sites!!.....good luck! you've got enough time to study and not need to worry too much about the other stuff! xx:jiggy:

Guest helene73

Well IELTS round 2 is booked for the 3rd September In Sunderland, means a overnight stay but at least I don't have to wait too long for the next test :)

Is anyone else going to be taking the test that day in Sunderland??

---

-

Guest ozfish

good luck to both Helene and Mark...i'll be thinking of you both!!! i'm sure you'll both be fine this time round~ at least theres no surprises and you know the format!!!:wink:

Guest helene73
good luck to both Helene and Mark...i'll be thinking of you both!!! i'm sure you'll both be fine this time round~ at least theres no surprises and you know the format!!!:wink:

Thanks babe :)

It's not phasing me at all this time round, if fact let's go for a 8 in reading this time lol I will be happy with a 7 writing and the other 2 if I get what I got last time I will be over the moon :) x

---

-

Guest MarK Jowett

Ok, so I'm having a bit of a panic now. My english is very good, so I don't have any concerns regarding the reading or writing, and i'm sure i'll get through the speaking section as long as I don't get tongue tied. Unfortunately, after doing a few sample listening tests online, I'm worried that it could be a complete disaster. I keep finding that i'll get stuck on one question, and before I know it, the audio has moved on and i've missed a few questions.

Can anyone put my mind at ease or recommend any good practice?

Thanks

Mark

Guest helene73

Don't worry about your spelling you have 10 mins after the test to transfer you answers, developed a shorthand system for writing quickly, for the multiple choose I ticked crossed off possible answers during the conversations, dont worry you will be fine just keep calm and block the sounds out around you :)

---

-

Guest helene73

Well I have been practising like mad with the lower case writing think it's cracked now, still practising the other stuff and I am actually well excited about resitting IELTS, I think I have cracked up finally lol

---

-

Guest MarK Jowett

Oh dear Helen, you've worried me now! I thought I'd seen on the website for IELTS that you are allowed to write in uppercase?! Are you telling me that you get marked down for it? I always write in uppercase as my handwriting is poor in general, but even worse in lowercase (i'm a lefty and always smudge too :) )

Guest Adelaide_bound
(i'm a lefty and always smudge too :) )

You write in pencil in the exam, so no worries about smudges. Punctuation is one of the things they test for, and all upper case would not be correct punctuation (as well as being very difficult to read and really p*ssing your examiner off. You really don't want to do that, believe me - I'm an examiner and its amazing how many more marks you give someone you *want* to give them to because they have obviously made an effort with their work). A capital letter after a full stop and for proper nouns would be the correct usage of capitals and if you cannot demonstrate this it would lose a mark or two from the point of view that spelling is marked, and if you do not use a capital for a Proper Noun, technically this is an incorrect spelling of the word, so if you are writing in all capitals there is no distinction for this and you could lose a spelling mark or two. However, handwriting is not marked, so even if it is messy, as long as it can be read there isn't an issue, and read easily makes for a happy marker. Just practise writing - its surprising how little we write nowadays and therefore how tiring it is and how messy it can be.....its just something that can help maximise marks.

Good luck :)

Thought I'd add - all capitals for the reading and listening bits don't matter though, just the writing.