Sign in to follow this  
Guest wayney34

looks like our journey has ended already....

Guest wayney34

I have just been looking at the new points test and it looks like our dreams have come to a sudden end all because of the stupid english test. my other half is a roofer aged 43 he has completed an nvq as well just to make it easier to apply he also has 25 years experience. We were looking at state sponsership and have had the skills passed by TRA but they arrived back 2 days to late (typical) to apply for our ss as on the old points test this was all we needed. It seems the only way that we can get the points now is if my hubby scores at least 8 on the test to gain the 20 points we need which is a slight problem as my hubby is dyslexic does anybody know if there is anything we can do. I'm sorry to have a moan but I find it so unfair as we are uk born and speak perfect english, I feel the goverment may have a shortage of people in the building trade this year as I know of a number of people who left school without any qualifications but now have succesful building companies that earn thousands but wouldn't be able to pass a test like this. I am now keeping my fingers crossed that by some miracle something may change.:sad: Can I just say Thankyou to everyone who posts on this site because I find all your Journeys through migrating so interesting and will continue to read even though mine looks like it has ended

Guest Fran x

Hello, I had this rant the other day with my hubby as I have to sit the ielts at the end of this month and for all I do not have problems so to speak with my English skills(however i am practicing just in case) I do think it is unfair for any one who does struggle with their English,as you say there are many successful people out there who are not great academically, he then told me that when he booked the test for me he noticed on the form it mentioned people with dyslexia and don't quote me cos il have to check with him,that there were arrangements that could be made for people With it,they may have a different marking technique or something, so I would check with the college before you totally give up hope, I totally agree with you on this one good luck with everything.

Fran x

Guest Becster19

My OH half is also dyslexic but having sat the test you may be OK. I found that the time given for the reading and writing was really long (I had the reading done in 20mins and we were given an hour!). This would mean that your OH would have plenty of time to study and read the questions. I would definitely enquire about a reader/writer though as this is standard in normal education exams for students with dyslexia. I would imagine they would have to put some provision in place. Maybe try the IELTS website?

Guest helene73

You haven't reached the end your just having a slight hitch!!

I am 5 points short thanks to SA filling there quota's for hairdressers so I too am going in on the new points system :(

Never give up everyone gets their in the end think positive.

Can you not coach hubby you can do practice papers on line I am sure with a little help you can get him through it :) also ring a test centre I am sure your hubby is not the only person who is dyslexic to have taken the test. My step dad is dyslexic and could not read but we all but he had to learn for his job to get tickets for it ( he works on ships)

There is always a way round things and like I said never give up this whole process is a rollercoaster of emotions but hang tight.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Helene :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Its not completely ridiculous really - the number of students I have who are British Born, have British passports, come to a British School, yet cannot speak English, nor can their parents, would amaze you.

Don't stress about the being Dyslexic - I am, and got a 9 overall in the IELTS (academic version) and did very little practise (don't have the time!), also if you want it, you can get extra time and any other special requirements you need (although you will need an official diagnosis for this, you can't just say 'I'm dyslexic' - not saying you would, but a lot of people are aware they have a disability but don't have anything official to 'prove' it as it were).

Also, you can take the tests as many times as you want to get the score, so bear that in mind too - it can help take the pressure off.

There are lots of resources out there to help - I used these two free websites and found them really good as they mark the reading and listening tests for you to get a really good honest idea of what your score is:

http://www.ielts-exam.net/

http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/free-practice-tests.html

Good luck, chin up - where there is a will there is a way - if you really want it, you will get there, you won't let a silly test hold you back! :)

Guest RobJ1978

I think you get special circumstances as adelaide bound says...so don't give up. I would also practice...using the websites given above and of course the good old you tube.

Good Luck.x.

Guest ebstar

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my hubby had to do the ielts test and is also dyslexic.He had to sit the test twice but i think this was due to a mistake in marking on their part. It was quicker to resit than to wait over three months for them to remark.

Have you looked at employer sponsorship? Just a thought. Best wishes xx

Guest chickeni
    Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my hubby had to do the ielts test and is also dyslexic.He had to sit the test twice but i think this was due to a mistake in marking on their part. It was quicker to resit than to wait over three months for them to remark.

Have you looked at employer sponsorship? Just a thought. Best wishes xx

Just to confirm what others have already said .... You can get extra time for some of the elements if you have an official diagnosis of dyslexia. The college need to see proof but can/will arrange for special circumstances upon receipt of backup paperwork. Speaking element is certainly no problem as we all do that all day every day and my hubby scored maximum marks for that. There are test/practice books available for approx £10 and that really helped. Knowing what to expect and the format of the questions took a large part of the stress away.

Dont give up too easily. Practically everyone on here has faced what feels like a brick wall but with a positive attitude and a lot of determination you WILL get there.

Don't give up!!! Good luck.

Sarah

X