Crikey!

Guest debbie_foxtrot

Guest guest3462

no schnitzels are thin slices of beef, veal or chicken covered in breadcrumbs and fried. Parmigiana ia a fave topping (tomato sauce and cheese I think)) also gravy or pepper sauce. Good if you want a cheap dinner down the pub, but not my favourite I have to say!

Guest helene73
Schnitzels are horrible yuk yuk yuk

Dairy milk chocolate takes some getting used to as well

I am told you can get hellmans out there and to look out for it saying made with egg, agree the stuff we tried was gross!!

I am also told that the chocolate is made with animal fat (like it used to be the UK) apparently it's stops it melting so fast in the heat. Dont know if that's true but I was told it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

The parmesan cheese tastes funny in oz, we could only buy it in pre grated form in packets and it just tasted like grated cheese not parmesan?!!!!!!!!!!!! the pesto was a bit weird too, think were gonna have to ship pesto over!!! :)

Pesto is really easy to make aswell if you have a blender. I love making my own.

Also there are a couple of stalls in Central market that sell it by the tub, freshly made and its lovely. When I used to stay with hubby he didn't own a blender (or much in the way of kitchen utensils etc) so would nip out to the market and stock up on it there. Really good stuff.

FWIW to the OP I also found things like hummus there aswell. I find the stuff sold in supermarkets in Aus a bit crunchy and not as well blended as I like. Another reason to make my own once there :) So simple to do.

I just purchased my first tub of hummus here! Amazing hey.

Now, I love hummus. I really do but...it tastes funny here. I am deeply upset.

So I would like a warning to what else tastes funny here? No rude jokes please. Ahem. Thanking you.

I remember the hummus shock well!!!!!!

But you will find the Copperpot variety an acceptable substitute. I was almost sad enough to get a friend to type out the ingredients on English hummus because I can't quite work out what's wrong with it. I *THINK* it might be that it has sugar in it here. Or it could be that it has sugar and vinegar in. ANyway, try Copperpot (foodland usually) and their other dips are fantastic too - esp the guacamole and salsa mix. Yum.

Mind you. I did try to make my own hummus once. Slightly overestimated the garlic. Think Coles would have been better, tbh!!!!

no schnitzels are thin slices of beef, veal or chicken covered in breadcrumbs and fried.

That's what they want you to believe....... but truly they are old shoe soles, covered in breadcrumbs and fried! The toppings just make them slightly moister and easier to chew (taking maybe ten minutes to swallow each mouthful, instead of the usual 15)

It's all part of the aussie "recycling" thing!

I've always bought S&W Whole Egg Real Mayonnaise, you get it most places, it's made in the USA. The normal mayo here is horrible, especially what they put on sandwiches in the sandwich bars in the city (and in the coleslaw). Also Arnotts custard cream biscuits are revolting and I've yet to find a bourbon. Ham can be a disappointment too. You just have to try and forget the yummy things that you can't get anymore and concentrate on the things that are good.

Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I can tell you certainly that the Kensington Park (Magill Road) Foodland sell bourbons from time to time. Boy was that at the top of my holiday "going to eat while back in the UK list". But totally forgot. Don't think I had any hummus there either. But our first weekend back I spied and headed straight for the pork pies at a baptism buffet. Yum.

oh they were Crawfords bourbons btw. I think I bought about 4-6 packets at a time. Bit crumbly a few of them but I guess you might expect that, the poor things had to come such a long way. :)

oohhh the thought of a packet of bourbons.... Magill Road is a bit far from here but I might start scanning the local Foodlands now...

Just remembered alot of the cheeses are gopping too and just dont have the choices like they do in blighty, my recommendation is to 'cheese up' before you get to oz :)

Central Market for cheese every time. Vastly cheaper than the supermarkets and much more choice.

Having said that, we're spending a couple of days in Paris on our forthcoming trip - I'm going to fill a suitcase up with camembert and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner - with Chablis to wash it down!!

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

Agree with poster that Copperpot hummus out in front by a short neck if you're looking at the supermarket shelves. Chris's not too bad either. It is a real problem finding a decent one. Maybe time to get the blender out and experiment.

The parmesan cheese tastes funny in oz, we could only buy it in pre grated form in packets and it just tasted like grated cheese not parmesan?!!!!!!!!!!!! the pesto was a bit weird too, think were gonna have to ship pesto over!!! :)

Both hummus and Pesto are easy to make as long as you have a plentiful supply of chickpeas and basil respectively - quick and easy if you have a blender and taste fantastic (and much cheaper too)

Different country - different tastes! Hope I'll learn to like the Aussie versions (apart from the black stuff in glass jars) when I come and not hanker too much after British products which I can't readily buy1

Guest HelenB

Oh no! Say it isn't so! No more double Gloucester, Wensleydale, Cornish Yarg, Brie, Cashel Blue, Stinking Bishop, Manchego and Wookey Hole Cheddar!!! ( I like cheese - a lot,) definitely will have to cheese up first!