Sign in to follow this  
Guest teresa

Where to live ?

Guest teresa

Hi,

we are moving over towards then end of 2011. My hubbie has a job in North Adelaide. I need a nice affordable area to live (doesnt everyone?) - with a good secondary school and within an hour preferably less commute to North Adelaide (king william street). Have been looking at Brighton, but the property prices are out of our reach - does anyone have any suggestions. Are there some areas i should avoid with children ?. I was also looking at Aberfoyle park ?? - any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Guest Opportunities

Teresa,

Any responses re Aberfoyle will be interesting to read as we are also looking at Aberfoyle Park High for our eldest. We have also looked at Reynella East College, which looks great, but both our girls enjoy music as a subject and therefore we will need to opt for a school dedicated to music in some way.

Rentals for Aberfoyle varies from $380-$450 for 3/4 bedrooms. Reynella is a bit cheaper, coming in at $290-$370 for 3/4 bedrooms. Happy Valley area is also in the region of $380 for 3/4 bedroom houses.

Transport looks very accessible when you have a car, not sure how easy accessible the public transport from these areas are.

I'm sure one of the old faithfulls on this forum will shed some light! Looking forward to it!

What kind of work does your OH do?

Good luck!

Karen

Guest teresa

Hi Karen,

My hubbie is a civil engineering draftsman, but when we come to Adelaide he will be a Building information manager. I also looked at Reynella, and later will have a look at the zones etc. Thanks for the info, where are you considering ?. What do you and your oh do ? - will you be working ?

Guest Opportunities
    Hi Karen,

My hubbie is a civil engineering draftsman, but when we come to Adelaide he will be a Building information manager. I also looked at Reynella, and later will have a look at the zones etc. Thanks for the info, where are you considering ?. What do you and your oh do ? - will you be working ?

Hi,

We liked Seaford/Port Noarlunga,but the seconday schools in that area does not have music tuition!As I said before,the school we choose will determine where we stay long term. My OH is a welder.I have been running my own business in promotional wear for the past 7 years,but will be a stay at home month for the first few years until he needs to go to school.

Karen

Guest Adelaidian
    Hi,

we are moving over towards then end of 2011. My hubbie has a job in North Adelaide. I need a nice affordable area to live (doesnt everyone?) - with a good secondary school and within an hour preferably less commute to North Adelaide (king william street). Have been looking at Brighton, but the property prices are out of our reach - does anyone have any suggestions. Are there some areas i should avoid with children ?. I was also looking at Aberfoyle park ?? - any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Hi Teresa,

I have just looked on this site because we are hoping to rent our house fully furnished for 1 year in 2012 and my lovely Pommy friends suggested this site! They moved here 3 years ago and bought in Flagstaff Hill. They love it there and she says a lot of Pommy's live there and Aberfoyle Park. Her daughter is starting highschool next year and she didnt like any of the local highschools and will be sending her daughter to a private college closer to town instead. Most things in Adelaide are close, and I think from that area, most public transport would go either directly into town or to Marion Shopping centre.

The school thing is quite tricky!! A lot of the public schools need you to live within the 'zone' to get in with some exceptions. Your husband will be working in the most expensive area (North ADelaide and Eastern suburbs are most expensive...and the coast obviously). That would be a about a 1/2 hr drive from aberfoyle park.

We live in Belair just in the hills on the fringe of the city...takes me 15-20 minutes drive to King William Rd North Adelaide (I work there too), I can also catch a bus directly outside my house which takes me there! There are also trains 5 minutes away. We are just on the the fringe of the Unley Highschool zone which has a fantastic reputation (I think even our Prime Minister went there!!)

So many options!! Good luck and Ill let you know if we decide to rent our house privately without an agent!!

K

When you say his job is in North Adelaide, do you mean the suburb called North Adelaide, or his job is north of Adelaide? That will make a big difference to commuting times! You might like to look around Golden Grove - the high school there does performing arts and there are good music facilities and properties in that area are very good value and in good areas.

If you can clarify the job location, that will help us suggest areas :-)

Guest Guest5035

theres a great 2 storey 4 bedroomed house around the corner from me at Wynn Vale, which has just come up for $450k....so cheap. The owner wants rid as he's been renting it and now wants to cash in. Its 5 minutes walk from everything - Golden Grove Shops, buses terminus to TTP and the city (40 minutes by o bahn), 5 minute walk to 3 secondary schools , 2 private 1 state, swimming pool , sports centre, cafes, walking trails, child care, doctors, hairdressers, banks, everything is 5 minute walk away. I can PM the link

stevo

Guest teresa
    When you say his job is in North Adelaide, do you mean the suburb called North Adelaide, or his job is north of Adelaide? That will make a big difference to commuting times! You might like to look around Golden Grove - the high school there does performing arts and there are good music facilities and properties in that area are very good value and in good areas.

If you can clarify the job location, that will help us suggest areas :-)

Hi Diane,

His job is in king william street, smack bang in the middle of the cbd - by the looks of it on googlemaps. Thanks for the suggestions so far, i will take a look later