JimandBarbinAus

to heat or not to heat that is the question??

Having recently returned from perth from our validation trip one thing I am concerned about is the heating systems out there. Being winter in perth it was cold at nights. Now our apartment had no heating just a reverse cycle air conditioning unit which was crap, it didn't make a blind bit of difference at all. We were so cold we had to revert to putting the gas rings on in the kitchen to try to let the heat spread through the apartment. Can anyone recommend what is the best heating system to opt for in adelaide, being as someone who feels the cold bad, do they have central heating, what are the options available?? thanks laura x

Guest Mitchell

Central heating? I don't think Aussies know what that is lol. I have ducted, zoned, reverse cycle and it's great. Even when it's been 4 degrees outside it gets up to a decent temp in 5 mins. Apparently it's one of the cheaper forms of heating here. Just remember the Aussies don't believe in double glazing or insulation so you end up keeping the heating on longer than with radiators as it will get cold again quickly.

It does exist here, but extremely rare. I've just produced the drawings for a house with underfloor heating throughout, zoned and linked to a manifold just like in the uk.

Guest aussiexperience

Probably best if possible to stick with Mitchells recommendation of ducted, zoned, reverse cycle, although nothing quite like good old central heating.Definately invest in some electric blankets too......they are worth their weight in gold and it does get so cold inside !! My friend told me before I came across that they add more layers of clothing indoors than they do outside and now I am here I totally agree !!!!!

On the bright side summer,autumn and spring are GORGEOUS !!!!!!

Good Luck

Having recently returned from perth from our validation trip one thing I am concerned about is the heating systems out there. Being winter in perth it was cold at nights. Now our apartment had no heating just a reverse cycle air conditioning unit which was crap, it didn't make a blind bit of difference at all. We were so cold we had to revert to putting the gas rings on in the kitchen to try to let the heat spread through the apartment. Can anyone recommend what is the best heating system to opt for in adelaide, being as someone who feels the cold bad, do they have central heating, what are the options available?? thanks laura x

Guest Squareman

We're not finding it that cold at all, but I think this is because we have spent so long in Africa where houses aren't insulated either. We don't use any form of heating and we only a duvet on our bed.

One of the things I don't enjoy when going to the UK is the fact that everyone's house is heated to furnace temperatures in the winter. It's like walking into an oven going from outside to inside.

Guest Aussie pat

We bought a portable convection heater (it has no fan) for our second living area and it's great (from Good Guys). It cost about $400 and is worth it's weight in gold. It's also cheaper to run with out a fan. You can also take it with you if you move house and it can be moved from room to room. They can also be wall mounted. We used to live in the French alps and heated the whole house with heaters like this. It would not be cost effective to have central heating installed in SA and you wouldn't use it enough to justify the outlay.

I would avoid oil column heaters as they take too long to warm up a room.

I'm freezing all the time. It's colder inside than outside. My heating is a single gas wall heater, a snuggy and big jumpers.

My place is double brick and warm most of the time. We have reverse ducted heating/cooling and sometimes put it on in the evenings although only when it's very cold.

Guest Mitchell

Clearly I'm a big girl about the cold reading posts on here. I put the heating on as soon as I get up and as soon as I get in from work lol