Sign in to follow this  
Guest graemepugh

Sailing and suburbs.

Guest graemepugh

Hi all,

The clock is ticking, we fly at the end of August, house not sold yet!!!

We are looking to learn how to sail as a family, does anyone have any recommendations on sailing clubs near Adelaide? Kids are only 4 and 6 but think it would be fun- except Josh is scared of the Sharks!!!

One final thing, we are frantically looking for suburbs with good primary and secondary schools. Any issues with Flagstaff Hill, Hallet Cove or Blackwood?

Seems there is Soooooo much choice- our heads are spinning.

Cant wait to get out there though!!!!

Any advice greatfully received.

The Pugh Family from Staffordshire.:arghh:

Guest mez10

Hi,

We moved to Adelaide last April and we heard of a rookie program at the Adelaide Sailing club. My two girls (6 & 8) joined and they love it.

We paid $30 each for 4weeks in the Rookie program and then made them junior members which is $115 - the $30 that we already paid.

They start at 9 on Saturday until 12:30 (training) then junior racing in the afternoon. They can also race all day Sunday (when they get in a 'crew') They also have Adult classes, I'm thinking of learning next year. Parents are encouraged to help out in the rescue boats etc.

Adelaide Sailing club is just north of Glenelg (West Beach) The season starts in September until mid April.

Tell Josh that we see lots of Dolphins, never seen a Shark.

We live in Flagstaff Hill and the kids love the school, we'd recommend Flaggy to anyone.

Good Luck

Guest Guest75

Lots of sailing clubs here with many different experience ranges.

You'll love it.

The Shark worry is not a problem,very rare to see.

As Mez10 said,lots of Dolphins to see.

Your 3 mentioned suburbs seem OK.

When we first arrived we looked at sailing clubs as OH and kids were keen dinghy sailors in the UK. Shortly after our arrival though (7 years ago) there were about three news reports of shark attacks off the SA shores, and several sightings, so OH was put off a little (dinghy sailing involving a fair amount of capsizing, so I understand!!)

Anyway, we did find a lovely sailing club on a lake which was ideal for youngsters learning as it never got too deep - this was at Clayton Bay (http://www.claytonbayboatclub.org.au/)

As you'll see from the map on their website it is a little way away from the centre of Adelaide, but if you were living in the suburbs you mentioned, perhaps only a 40 minute drive or something?

Really friendly people, really welcoming, great family club. Much better now there is water in the lake, obviously!! Oh, and did I mention, no sharks?!!

Guest graemepugh
    Hi,

We moved to Adelaide last April and we heard of a rookie program at the Adelaide Sailing club. My two girls (6 & 8) joined and they love it.

We paid $30 each for 4weeks in the Rookie program and then made them junior members which is $115 - the $30 that we already paid.

They start at 9 on Saturday until 12:30 (training) then junior racing in the afternoon. They can also race all day Sunday (when they get in a 'crew') They also have Adult classes, I'm thinking of learning next year. Parents are encouraged to help out in the rescue boats etc.

Adelaide Sailing club is just north of Glenelg (West Beach) The season starts in September until mid April.

Tell Josh that we see lots of Dolphins, never seen a Shark.

We live in Flagstaff Hill and the kids love the school, we'd recommend Flaggy to anyone.

Good Luck

Thanks. Josh is pleased about the shark issue.:o