Medicals???

Guest Viksta

Guest Viksta

Ok is there anyone that can shed light on what they actually look for in the meds??

I know they take bloods, but what do they check?

I do they do x-rays but what actually for?

Any info would be good!

Thanks guys x

By the sound of it I've missed out. My $300 trip to Adelaide Medibank didn't involve any groping just pissing in a cup, bloods taken, chest x ray and a bit of non specific poking and twisting. For $75 it would have been good value but for $300 it wasn't.

If you have to travel a decent distance or have kids you can ask for the whole thing to be done in one visit as start to finish it only takes 2 hours. NB - Young kids have a different test. My daughter is 7 so didn't need a blood test but did have a urine test whilst me son aged 4 had neither. Both had the non specific twisting and poking.

Guest Viksta

Thanks everyone!! our of interest what is the cost??? My children are 3 years and then the baby is 9 months so i hope they aren't mean to them!!! Thanks for the replies as always!! is diabetes a problem?

Guest Mrs & Mrs T

Hi in the UK for 4 of us 2 adults 2 kids age 2 & 4 it was £760. Bit of a rip for and hour and a half but pretty painless.

Kids just had a quick examination and weight and height that's all.

They check your hips, next and reflexes, lungs, heart, eyes especially if you wear specs.

Don't worry it is fine and the docs will answer all your questions.

Guest Adelaide_bound
is diabetes a problem?

As in, if you know you already have it, or if they find it?

If you already know you have it, hopefully it is being well managed over a period of time and your Doctor should be able to confirm this, in which case, from what other people have been passed with it wouldn't appear to be a problem.

If you didn't know you had it and it shows up, I'm guessing it gets referred (as officially they all are anyway) and they look at it - either they go 'yeah, Diabetes, very manageable' and pass it, or they go 'hmm, lets see how it responds to treatment' and it slows things down a bit, but doesn't get refused.

If people are being passed with Hep B/C and HIV, I can't see why diabetes, which when managed carefully is (imho and experience) far more 'liveable' with and less expensive to treat that Hep B and HIV, and at the end of the day its about how much you might cost Australia if you go and live there.

I speak as someone who has not got diabetes nor has passed her medical yet though, so could be talking pants, but from all my research (and medical knowledge - yada yada yada) I have been led to believe the above. Hopefully someone can come on and give you cast irons though :D

PS, I'm sure they will be ultra careful with the kiddies - crying children/babies are not fun for them :)

Guest Adelaide_bound
I asked about the x-rays ,the doc said they were looking for signs of TBm, something which you don't here about much in the uk.

and yet is a hugely growing problem in some areas, specifically some of our major cities :( (One of the reasons being you don't hear much about it so people don't know the symptoms/how to treat/how very high contagious it is etc).

Guest Viksta
As in, if you know you already have it, or if they find it?

If you already know you have it, hopefully it is being well managed over a period of time and your Doctor should be able to confirm this, in which case, from what other people have been passed with it wouldn't appear to be a problem.

If you didn't know you had it and it shows up, I'm guessing it gets referred (as officially they all are anyway) and they look at it - either they go 'yeah, Diabetes, very manageable' and pass it, or they go 'hmm, lets see how it responds to treatment' and it slows things down a bit, but doesn't get refused.

If people are being passed with Hep B/C and HIV, I can't see why diabetes, which when managed carefully is (imho and experience) far more 'liveable' with and less expensive to treat that Hep B and HIV, and at the end of the day its about how much you might cost Australia if you go and live there.

I speak as someone who has not got diabetes nor has passed her medical yet though, so could be talking pants, but from all my research (and medical knowledge - yada yada yada) I have been led to believe the above. Hopefully someone can come on and give you cast irons though :D

PS, I'm sure they will be ultra careful with the kiddies - crying children/babies are not fun for them :)

no if they find it!!! hadn't really thought of that one!! guess these health checks can show up anything!! Bit of an MOT!!!

Thanks for the opinion tho!!!

Guest Viksta
and yet is a hugely growing problem in some areas, specifically some of our major cities :( (One of the reasons being you don't hear much about it so people don't know the symptoms/how to treat/how very high contagious it is etc).

we are in one of those areas i hate to say!! both my boys had to have the TB jab before they were allowed to leave hospital! Poor Toby 9 months and his still hasn't healed properly!! big old injection that one!! Still at least they are protected!