Guest Squareman

Do you still have to validate a RSMS ?

Guest Squareman

Hi all

I'm not sure about the rules, given the recent changes and prioritsation of the RSMS visa etc.

Do you still have to validate an onshore 857 RSMS visa by nipping off to NZ or whatever? Anyone know?

I got my onshore RSMS 857 from a 457 a month ago and nothing was mentioned about validation - just "here's the PR visa and goodluck"

My understanding is that onshore (8**) visas are granted when you're already in australia, so they're valid from the day of grant.

It's only the offshore visas that require you to be outside of Australia when they are granted (so if you're in australia on another visa, then you'd need to do the popping over to NZ/Bali?wherever). Validation then happens the next time you set foot on australian soil.

Hi all

I'm not sure about the rules, given the recent changes and prioritsation of the RSMS visa etc.

Do you still have to validate an onshore 857 RSMS visa by nipping off to NZ or whatever? Anyone know?

Hi there

An RSMS 857 is an "onshore visa." This means that the applicant must physically be in Australia both at the time when the application is lodged and when the visa is granted.

With the "offshore" visas such as an RSMS 119, in some situations the applicant can be in Australia at the time when the application is lodged but he MUST be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Because s/he is not physically in Australia at the time of the grant, there is a requirement to validate an offshore visa by making an Initial Entry to Oz on or before dd/mm/yyyy. The date is specified in the grant letter.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Squareman

Great, thanks guys! No need to book tickets to NZ then!