Guest JayandEm

Semaphore/Port Adelaide

Guest JayandEm

We are arriving on 6 July (yaaaaay) and I have narrowed down a few suburbs that we are interested in. North Adelaide is definately of interest but I also like the look of Semaphore and the Port Adelaide area (closer to the beach). We don't have children, I will be working in the city and OH is a plumber. We both enjoy a good night out, (ah hem, even though we are 38 and 41) also really enjoy hiking and cycling.

We are fortunate that we have friends to stay with when we first arrive (albeit in Goolwa) so we can have a good look around before we commit to somewhere, but any first hand information on Semaphore and Port Adelaide would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks loads in advance.

Emma x

We have friends who live in Semaphore and i think its very nice place to live little stroll to the beach....easy route into city...may get a bit congested on the juction of north/west terrace.

Its a nice drive up the coast from Glenelg right upto North Haven....Beach is nice too.

Gets my thumbs up of approval.

HG

Guest gingernuts

We live in between Port Adelaide and Semaphore and really love it. We have a newish townhouse which gives us loads of room. Only 15 minute walk to the beach, close to shops, and if you get the right train only 15 minutes into town. PM if you want further details - we're from Devon too!

Guest angiestaff

Hi

have you considered west lakes? we had never heard of it when we came to view this rental but fell in love with all the lakes nearby and being close to beaches/pubs/ westfield was a bonus too! lol) it's only 2 min down from semaphore and inbetween semaphore and henley beach (we have a choice of several beaches plus on delfin island we also have several lovely lakes too)

we currently rent here and would love to buy but it's a bit out of our price range so we have bought in somewhere called paralowie (15 min drive from semaphore)

we are breaking our lease on the 14th july (look at my profile page for the photos) so this property will be available if you like the look of it (also we have 2 dogs so the landlord will condsider pets for the next tennants too)

ange x

Guest JayandEm
    Hi

have you considered west lakes? we had never heard of it when we came to view this rental but fell in love with all the lakes nearby and being close to beaches/pubs/ westfield was a bonus too! lol) it's only 2 min down from semaphore and inbetween semaphore and henley beach (we have a choice of several beaches plus on delfin island we also have several lovely lakes too)

we currently rent here and would love to buy but it's a bit out of our price range so we have bought in somewhere called paralowie (15 min drive from semaphore)

we are breaking our lease on the 14th july (look at my profile page for the photos) so this property will be available if you like the look of it (also we have 2 dogs so the landlord will condsider pets for the next tennants too)

ange x

Thanks for your reply Ange. I did look at West Lakes but I want to be within walking distance of a train station to get into the city for work.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Emma x

Thanks for your reply Ange. I did look at West Lakes but I want to be within walking distance of a train station to get into the city for work.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Emma x

Trimmer Parade end of West Lakes is just a short stroll to Grange - trains there to and from the CBD and it's a great location.

Jim

Guest JayandEm
    Trimmer Parade end of West Lakes is just a short stroll to Grange - trains there to and from the CBD and it's a great location.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the info, I've had a look on the map and shall be including that area on my reccie now!

Emma

Guest Drumms

Hey there, we live in in Birkenhead (which comes under the Semaphore area), just the other side of the train track. 5 mins walk to the train for the city. I also drive to the entertainment centre and use the park and ride ($2 parking and free tram into the city). Just the 2 of us, we like it a lot here (been here 6 months). Sometimes we just head down to the beach, take a walk. Port Adelaide 10 mins walk from here. Ohh and I've actually seen a dolphin while on the train into work. OH saw one from while on his motorbike going into the Port. For access to the city its great. Semaphore has some lovely shops, cinema and great coffee! Has a nice holiday buzz to it without being in your face too much. The houses tend to be more cottage style, which we really like. Please feel free to PM if you want any furhter info. Good luck!

Guest WhatNow?

Nice to hear folk talking these places up for a change. The benefit of this area is that you have lovely quiet beaches within easy commuting distance from the city. Port Adelaide is an interesting place to visit if you are into Heritage stuff and the West Lakes Mall is good for shopping. If you are into kayaks/dinghies but prefer not to be out on the sea there are some nice quiet waters around Garden Island and the dolphin sanctuary and several sailing clubs to choose from. If you want to see the big boats come in then you can get to Outer Harbor in a few minutes. When the Queen Mary came in earlier in the year it was quite a community event: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/queen-mary-2-to-steam-into-outer-harbor-today/story-e6frea6u-1226008678414.

Oh and you are about 1 hour drive from the Barossa...

Guest Nick Tuck

Hi. anywhere along the western suburbs coast will be a winner for you. Semaphore is a nice area, lots of local amenities, pubs shops etc and its nice to be able to walk to places. If you like a night out then Semaphore will be good for you.

Also walkable to the beach.

The Port is a bit further. Although there are shopping centres etc around there, at present there are a lot of empty shops etc. It is due to go through a transformation over the years!!! the areas of Borkenhead, Glanville, exeter are close to both and may be a little more affordable than the heart of Semaphore.

as mentioned West lakes & Grange are lovely areas too and there is a train at Grange. It will depend how much you want to speand.

Personally moving close to the beach has been the major decision and best decision for us. Its makes me SMILE!!!!

good luck

Hi we live in Ethelton, a two minute walk to the train station, five minutes from the beach at Semaphore, and five minute drive to Port Adelaide too. We absolutely love it....When we arrived here, my youngest enrolled at Westport Primary School, and my oldest attended Le Fevre High, both state schools. They both loved their schools....were made to feel very much at home and the teachers and principals were all very accessible, and very friendly. My oldest now has just finished at Le Fevre, having just passed his SACE finals, and has been accepted at Adelaide Uni. My youngest has just finished his first year (year 8) in Le Fevre having made lots more new friends.