House Hunting Now.

sueoc

Hiya,

Anyone on here House hunting now?If so,how are you finding it all?We are,and it certainly is an experience!Never before have i come across so much conniving from Real Estate Agents as goes on here.Of course their job is to get the best possible price for those they represent,and they do this admirably,however some of the tricks they try are laughable.It really becomes a game of cat and mouse.They request your PH no as soon as you walk up the path,and once they have it the phone never stops ringing,even though you hate the crap house they are trying to sell,giving misleading information to entice you to their opens in the first place!As the Housing Market is somewhat less than bouyant at present the whole situation has intensified.We have viewed two we were intersted in, where we asked for a private inspection,but were told that our offer MUST be circa full asking price as the property is about to be sold within a day or less,and the agent will not entertain a viewing unless we bid accordingly?Guess what!both are still for sale 2 months later?Lots of Agents are in cahoots with each other,and when you turn up to view a house,the Agent will ask you if you liked one you viewed from a completely different company!WTF is that all about!

The best week has been this one though.We put an offer in on a house which ended up being over the asking price!Convinced it was ours,as the Agent told us it probably was,and how we should explore the area,as we WILL be living here,we get a PH call from him next day saying our offer was beaten!Actually i was not that disappointed,but my OH was.Ill save best for the last though.One house we were very interested in earlier has a nice Agent who thought the house we never did get was ours.She works for a different company.Anyway she phones us up,says"i believe youv'e bought...!She sounded miffed,and said:biglaugh:"You do realise that that house has a history of marital breakups!Every couple who have lived there have split up!"Well,i said"Not us love we been together for Yonks!""She replies;)The last couple were old age pensioners,and they split up"!!!:biglaugh:Another one told us not to buy in a certain street his adversories were selling a house in,as there had been a recent murder there,and people were moving out from there!:goofy:Gotta say though,the guy who posts on here who is in this line of work is a 100% good guy,and if he had a house to sell i wanted,then i would be happy.My advice would be to stick to your guns when buying a house here,and dont listen to the shullbit you get from the Agents.Best Luck.

NEVER give the buggers your real phone number. Most real estate people are a pain in the neck and constantly harrass you

I do agree! LOL

You get 1 call from me for some feedback and thats it, unless you want me to keep you in the loop with new listings that are coming on the market. I do not place any of my new listings on the net for a week as I will try and sell to all my contacts beforehand. This means my vendors do not pay any advertising what so ever.

It does make me laugh that an agent thinks by hounding you that you will give in and buy a home you do not want.......LOL

Guest Mainds Family
I do agree! LOL

You get 1 call from me for some feedback and thats it, unless you want me to keep you in the loop with new listings that are coming on the market. I do not place any of my new listings on the net for a week as I will try and sell to all my contacts beforehand. This means my vendors do not pay any advertising what so ever.

It does make me laugh that an agent thinks by hounding you that you will give in and buy a home you do not want.......LOL

Now that's what I call a "dream" agent......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Tuck

Hi. I am also an agent and hear all these bad stories all the time. Unfortunately this is why estate agents have terrible reputations (in any country).

When I came over here I spent some time choosing which agent I wanted to work for. I work for a company who bases their company on ethics and they put me through an 18 stage interview.

We use a different system compared to a lot of the other agents here, which is similar to the Uk system. we do all of our appointments privately rather than opens, and again if people want help we will, if not let them contact you. Again when selling we dont charge ANYTHING unless we sell it so theres no risk for the seller, unlike most other agents who charge $1000's for adevertising.

The best advice I can give when buying is ask that agent how they deal with offers as each one will vary, as i also hear nightmare stories (especially from English people). that way you know their specific systems and ask them if you have a chance to increase your offer after your first one, and also if they will be calling you back to let you know. I know this sounds simple but as in the example above you can see that a lot of POOR agents are not even ringing back to say offer rejected, or do yuou want to increase.

Anyway, hope your experiences are better in the future. I am based at West laes and cover from Glenelg all the way up to North Haven, so if anyone WANTS any hleo of advice please contact me.

nptuck@hotmail.com

Nick Tuck