Kids of 4 and 6!

Guest graemepugh

Guest graemepugh

Hello all,

Moving out at the end of August from staffordshire. I am 38' jayne 40 , Joshua 6 and Emily Jayne 4.

looking forward to being out there. Talking about it far too long.

Would love to hear from people with young families, to see how things are different.

Thanks

Pugh family.x

Guest guest3462

Hi, We have girls aged 18 weeks,5yrs and 4yrs. I think the only things that are different is that the kids play outside more and our playground is the beach!! School is pretty much the same though they dont start school until age 5. I think that kids are kids for longer here, you can give them that little bit more free rein to explore and play; and with the weather being better, even in winter, they can play outside without coats most days and have a great time.

Good luck with the move! We moved out here earlier this year. This our second stint in Aus, last time we were in Melbourne. We went back to the UK for a year, but decided that we'd made the wrong decision and thankfully returned. Though Adelaide wasn't our first choice (we wanted to return to Melbourne) we ended up here through my working sponsoring me. I have to say, though much quieter than Melly, it's by far a better place for kids. Our two are 5 and 3 (4 in July). The eldest is in a school that is fantastic (Rose Park) - to get that level of schooling in Melbourne we'd have ended up paying for her education and if we were still in the UK, forget it! It takes me 15 mins (or 20 mins in rush hour) to get from house to desk (living in Norwood).

Certainly Adelaide has it's cons (shopping etc is not anything like Melbourne) but to be honest unless you're going to be stocking up on your Armani suits then who cares. Gorge yourselves on banana's before you come out, that way you wont want any for a while - that is unless you don't mind paying $12/13kg!

I've not felt so at home for a long time. Our journey, since 2006 when we left Muzzy Hiill in Norf London has taken us to, Lanca****e(!), Yorkshire (via Harrogate and Leeds), Melbourne, back to Leeds, and now Adelaide....phew...

I think you'll enjoy it here. Just make sure you give it time to work though - as soon as you arrive you'll start making comparisons to the UK (converting cost of things into £, the fact you can't get this and that), that's certainly a no no. You'll start convincing yourself that the grass in greener in the UK (which to be honest it is during summer when the grass turns yellow here!). Believe me it's not though.

So there you go. Good luck and enjoy the flight.

James

Guest Tina P

Gorge yourselves on banana's before you come out, that way you wont want any for a while - that is unless you don't mind paying $12/13kg!

Funny but so true, I can not remember the last time I had one ;)

Guest mez10

I've got to agree with Churchj1, the kids do stay 'kids' longer here. Our kids are 6 & 9 now and its great to see them playing outside with their friends and not sat in front of the TV or playing computer games inside.

We only have Thursday nights free now, every day the kids have something on - Swimming, Cubs, Joey's, Little Athletics, Sailing.

All in all the way of life here is much more relaxing and sociable obviously the weather helps!

• 4 months later...
Guest The ryders in oz

Hi!

We are also moving out at the end of november. We have a little girl at 6, and our boy is coming up to 4. How are you guys finding it in Adelaide? We have a secured a rental in west beach, hope we have made the right choice! Really looking forward to getting the kids out and about, taking part in activities.

Thanks Danielle, sam, Lola and Jude

Adelaide is perfect for families, theres always something to do.

Our kids joined Joeys and cubs when we arrived. This gets them meeting new friends and also it helps you find friends too.

We have just been on the Flagstaff Hill family scout camp for the weekend, the kids had a great time and we had a great time meeting other familes.

Like whats been mentioned in previous posts, theres so much to do here for the kids, our kids go sailing at the weekends (we would have never done that in the UK)

Try and enrol them in the local little Athletics, again great for to meet new friends but its agreat social meet up after they've finished their sports. Beer and BBQ after while the kids run and play together around the oval.

Good luck

Hello all,

Moving out at the end of August from staffordshire. I am 38' jayne 40 , Joshua 6 and Emily Jayne 4.

looking forward to being out there. Talking about it far too long.

Would love to hear from people with young families, to see how things are different.

Thanks

Pugh family.x

Hey guys, we moved from Staffordshire at the end of August too, also with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. I hope that, like us, you have discovered that this place is amazing for young kids. They already live the life and have the opportunities that would not be open to them in the UK.

Enjoy

Paul