Sign in to follow this  
Guest lisa1973

IELTS Test

Guest lisa1973

Hi, with the new points system coming in, an agent has said my partner (plasterer) needs to get 8 score on the test !! He is british and all he speaks is english, however I have been looking up on it and some people are saying its near enough impossible to be an 8 score !! He is willing to go on a IELTS preparation evening lessons to brush up his skills. So really just want to know if anybody else has any experience of the test. Thanks for any help you can give us, Lisa

Guest Becster19

I have done the test and as long as you prep you will do fine. You can various books and apps to help you along. If you go to the IELTS website they also outline what you need to reach each of the bands. I got 9's and 8's in mine ending with a 8.5 overall and it wasn't bad at all, just a long day! Also your OH needs to check if he needs to do the Academic or the General test, I would assume its the General for trades as thats all I had to do. the general is a lot easier.

Hope this helps a little :-)

Guest helene73

Practise, practise, practise trust me I am sitting it end of July I was dreading the reading bit at first I was lucky to get a few questions right now I understand the test format and getting used to the writing style of the exam I am doing a lot better, I did a practise test yesterday and scored 80% woo hoo if I can just do that in the day I will be very happy.

I bought 2 IELTS books from waterstones with practise exams in it also gives tips and the answers so if you get things wrong you can see why you got them wrong and it explains the answers to you, I have also got the Cambridge iPhone app that is great has practise test and also explains in the word section whether it's a noun, pronoun etc and in what context words should be used and it was only 59p.

Good luck :)

Guest lisa1973

Thanks very much for the replies, very helpfull to us. We are lucky that we are only 5 mins away from the university that does the testing, so If he doesnt do it the first time we wont have the travel costs on top of the test fee. Do you know how long into the visa application you have to take the test? Thanks, Lisa

Guest Becster19

There is no set time but it needs to be done and passed before you can lodge really, it depends on your situation. I don't have enough points without it, so i couldn't lodge my application until I had passed it. I would get it done as soon as you can, then you can tick that box. Once you have sat the test you have the results in a couple of weeks but places book up fast so you can be waiting a while until you can sit the test.