Karen_Jon

Window Fabricator work

Hi my husband is a window fabricator in the UK - upvc windows. Does anybody know if there is a big market for sash windows in SA and therefore jobs too?

Thanks Karen

most windows are aluiminum here very rare to see upvc here there is someone on here that does them team w they have a facyory also quite a few people do timber windows.

Guest Team 'W'

Hi Guys

The market here is still tiny but upvc is finally starting to get known. 95% of houses are still single glazed aluminium and will stay that way for a long time BUT the Government here is pushing hard to improve construction standards and double glazing is starting to take off but still has a long way to go before it becomes the norm. Aluminium dominates the market here but upvc is becoming more competitive and is starting to get a much bigger market share as price and product awareness starts to get recognized by builders and consumers.

So my advice would be not to come here expecting or hoping to get a job manufacturing pvc windows but be ready to diversify into other things. It's amazing how many people come out here to do a specific job that they know back to front but end up doing something completely different, for all kinds of reasons. The key to success here in the first year or two for many is simply survival and getting whatever job you can to get on your feet, after that the longer you are here the more specific you can be with your job prospecting and expectations.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help,

Stuart

Thanks for that information, i agree..... Jon can turn his hand to pretty much anything, so that will come in handy when we come over. As you say securing 'A' job is the priority initially. Thanks for the reply.

Karen & Jon