Guest graemepugh

Help needed........

Guest graemepugh

Hi,

We have our 457 visas approved. We also want to ship both cars out with us. On the Vehicle Import approval form it asks if you intent to become an Australian resident, yes or no.

If we tick yes, then would we still be able to claim the LAFHA allowance? Seems we cant win beciuase if I tick no, then they wont approve the importation of the car, will they?

Any advice appreciated.

:arghh::chatterbox:

Guest SA Great

Just buy one over here big fella. Sounds like the easiest option! What cars are you looking at shipping? Make sure spare parts are easy to get.

We shipped our volvo and as far as I am aware, you can only bring one care and you have had to have owned it for 12 months prior. We shipped ours on a 457 and still get LAFHA.

Guest Ian Lindgren
    Hi,

We have our 457 visas approved. We also want to ship both cars out with us. On the Vehicle Import approval form it asks if you intent to become an Australian resident, yes or no.

If we tick yes, then would we still be able to claim the LAFHA allowance? Seems we cant win beciuase if I tick no, then they wont approve the importation of the car, will they?

Any advice appreciated.

:arghh::chatterbox:

Hi Guys,

I know that this reply is a little late for you, but just to provide clear advice to everyone else, shipping your car to Aus has no bearing whatsoever on whether you receive LAFHA. It is not even a consideration when assessing if someone is eligible for LAFHA. The key reference is MT 2030 at:http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=MTR/MT2030/NAT/ATO/00001

I know this is wordy, but do a search for cars, or motor vehicles. There is no mention of it. Unfortunately because it is so hard to find definitive references, this causes many rumours that are incorrect.

Regards,

Ian