Short term rentals for arrival

Guest sleepysunday

Guest sleepysunday

Hi

We are arriving in early October and wanted to find out what or where most people rented when they first arrived? I've looked at so many "short term rental' websites and they all seem so expensive despite some of them saying they are cheaper the longer you rent. We are aiming to try and find somewhere of our own to rent (Semaphore, Henley, Grange etc ) and are giving ourselves up to 3 weeks so the less we can spend throwing money at some short term place the better.

Did anyone else have much luck finding somewhere in 3 weeks? And are places generally available immediately or do you have to wait for them to become available? We need to visit family in Sydney and can either fly in to Adelaide and search for three weeks then go to Sydney while we wait for our chosen place to be available, or we can fly to Sydney first and then on to Adelaide if places are generally free straight away.

Any thoughts?

Guest Guest75
Hi

We are arriving in early October and wanted to find out what or where most people rented when they first arrived? I've looked at so many "short term rental' websites and they all seem so expensive despite some of them saying they are cheaper the longer you rent. We are aiming to try and find somewhere of our own to rent (Semaphore, Henley, Grange etc ) and are giving ourselves up to 3 weeks so the less we can spend throwing money at some short term place the better.

Did anyone else have much luck finding somewhere in 3 weeks? And are places generally available immediately or do you have to wait for them to become available? We need to visit family in Sydney and can either fly in to Adelaide and search for three weeks then go to Sydney while we wait for our chosen place to be available, or we can fly to Sydney first and then on to Adelaide if places are generally free straight away.

Any thoughts?

I know I have furnished rentals but hopefully speak for all who have them in general.

I feel the need to comment upon your remark that short term furnished rentals are expensive........

I would never ever imagine taking a long term rental here while I am in the UK, a lot are absolute dog boxes to say the least.

I often see long term rentals advertised upon this forum for $400 to $550 per week.

Unless you know suburbs very well I'd not be taking one,it could be a terrible mistake to sign up for 12 months in a completely unsuitable area for various reasons.

Short term rentals are on the whole a great introduction to this country. Mainly run by people such as myself who have made the move and know what stress the first few weeks here bring.

As well as the usual you will find included a heck of a lot more with furnished rentals.

ALL services including internet.

Excellent and very clean to outstanding properties with nothing to worry about on your behalf.

I personally go into each of our houses clean and change linen weekly.

You have access to someone who can help 24/7 - I have helped out from those who arrived and picnicked,rescued from motor accidents,helped find long term rentals,done first aid(including a Scorpion bite) and ad infinitum.

After taxes and a lot of wear and tear and tear it does not make a massive living.

Not being awkard but thought I'd rise in defence of my industry sector.

Guest sleepysunday

I do apologise as I really wasn't meaning to offend anyone. Perhaps my choice of words wasn't so great!

I can assure you I have nothing against short term rentals and have stayed in plenty of great ones myself. I appreciate it must be a rewarding yet tiring all at once. The reason we do not want short term is because we do not need anywhere furnished and because we are fairly certain of the areas we are looking in being suitable for us.

I'm sure your properties are great (if you have a website and they are in the areas I mentioned I'd love to have a look) but I can also say that there are some as equally as bad as the long term rentals you mention and are charging too much for what they are worth.

Sorry again...you had every right to defend your business and industry.

:-)

Guest Guest75

Thanks for your reply.

You will find most of us go way above and beyond what is expected. Some of us don't see it as just a business and really care about our guests.

Good luck :notworthy::notworthy:

IMO you need a Furnished Rental initially when you get here,and for a reasonable time in order to get to know the way it all works here regarding accommodation.You need to speak to people who know answers to your concerns and to give you information on where to go and what to do in order to get on your feet.We rented furnished for 3 weeks on arrival and found so much out(we did'nt have a clue)Luckily we were contacted through this Website from someone who were breaking their lease,and went into their Rental.This website is great,and there are a few members who will assist Newcomers as they have Furnished Rentals,and offer advice for free.What more would anyone want when travelling 10,000 miles to a City they know little about?As has been said,there really are some shocking Shiitholes here,worse than anything i have ever seen prior to arriving here.Why risk ending up in one for the sake of saving a relatively small amount for a few weeks.