Guest Denise 42

shipping

Guest Denise 42

Hi all

any information on the best and cheapest shipping firms in the UK to get my stuff here

thanks Denise

Hi Denise

What you need to do is ring around a few shipping companies and ask them to come and do you a quote as the price that you pay depends on whether you need a full or part container. When they come round to quote they quite literally go through all your cupboards and from that guestimate how many boxes you will need and how much it will roughly cost. You get the final bill when they have packed it. We used Brittania in the UK ( Appleyards in Rotherham - for all you Yorkshire folk) and our worldly goods left our possession and should be delivered to us today (New Years Eve). We had 54 boxes, 2 childrens bikes, our large 3 piece sofa and a tumble dryer and the cost to us in the UK was about £1700 - cant remember the exact figure -we didn't bring any other large items of furniture. It will cost us $300 at this end. It is going to feel like christmas again for us when all our things arrive and cant wait to for the sofa. We didn't use the insurance offered to us by the packers as we found thatwe could get it a lot cheaper elsewhere - I think the company that we used was www.lettonpercival.co.uk - we asked them to quote us for marine insurance. Hope this helps! Will let you know later when our stuff arrives as to whats there, whats broken and whether we need to use the insurance!:jiggy:

Hope this helps

Lindsey

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We had a number of companies out to quote. We eventually chose Whites because their quote also included 10 weeks storage at this end. We thought that might be handy if we were on the brink of buying somewhere. Like Lindsay we didn't bring any furniture, only a unit, and we had a third of a container.

We were given the price and paid. Two lovely men turned up and worked their socks off packing, and listing and there were no charges to be paid for here. We took their insurance, it was easier and there was no damage.

Bishops Move was another company that we would have gone with if they had given the storage.

Libby

Guest philnjulie

hi there,

we used a company called john masons liverpool based and depot in luton i think they shipped two lots for us we brought everything inc kitchen sink, last lot was full 20ft container the lads that packed were brill nothing broken just lots of paper and card to dispose of cost was £3200 door to door this included storage if needed only extra was customs clearance which was $360 i think

regards phil

Guest swampo

We have had 3 quote; Robinson (just around the corner from us so handy), Masons, & PSS. All three companies were within a copuple of hundred pound of each other but it is worth going back to the one you like the best and asking if they will match quotes/insurance etc.. we have. Every penny help as it is expensve to replace everything once you get over there. Must get back to trying to clean my washing machine ready for shipping, any tips??

Guest Lulujim

We didn't use the insurance offered to us by the packers as we found thatwe could get it a lot cheaper elsewhere - I think the company that we used was www.lettonpercival.co.uk - we asked them to quote us for marine insurance. Hope this helps! Will let you know later when our stuff arrives as to whats there, whats broken and whether we need to use the insurance!:jiggy:

Hi Lindsey - Just wanted to say thanks - this has saved us 2% on the premium ;)