Changing Airlines in Transit

scooterdan

Hey Guys,

If i book a flghts at the same time through the same website, that include not only changing planes but also companies do i have to collect luggage and check in again....? Or is it the same as just changing planes??

Hope i explained that correctly....!

Also...anyone heard of Gulf Air??

Dan

Guest Guest5035

I think if they are not in "alliance" with each other you may have to check in each time. Re Gulf Air, why them, is it because they are cheaper than the rest. If you search using bestflights.com.au you will find, for around $200 more total price, you can use 1 airline from adelaide to asia to London. Believe me i'm in the process of searching one ways/ returns for myself and the wife.

Stevo

Stevo

As has been said, unless they flight/code share, you'll have to claim bags and recheck them.

BA & Qantas code share so you don't have to worry about baggage there. I know BA used to codeshare with CP also. Check and see who Air NZ code shares with these days. ALso Japan Airlines were pretty reasonable when hubby flew once with them from Aus. Down side for cheaper price was a night in Tokyo. Most major airlines codeshare to get long haul destinations in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_alliance.

Sometimes depends on how you book (but of course I'm probably saying the same thing as if you book through an airline site they will be code-sharing airlines and it would be considered a 'through' flight). Make sure you get some travel insurance that covers trip interruption/cancellation if they don't code share.

Guest Guest5035
Yeah we just looking for cheap return flights.....!!! Cheapest always seem to change airlines!!

you have to take into account the hours of the total trip, the amount of stops, time waiting at airports, to me you can't beat direct adelaide/asia/luk, no flying via other cities in australia. It might cost $200 per ticket more but its worth it.

Sometimes depends on how you book (but of course I'm probably saying the same thing as if you book through an airline site they will be code-sharing airlines and it would be considered a 'through' flight). Make sure you get some travel insurance that covers trip interruption/cancellation if they don't code share.

If youy book by credit card that should include insurance, we use Mastercard via the comm bank and insurance is included.

stevo

Guest The Standalofts

Also...anyone heard of Gulf Air??

Dan

I flew with Gulf air roughly 20 years ago -we were booked with British Airways to fly to Abu Dhabi. However, there was a war on at the time and BA were unable to enter certain airspaces so we transferred to Gulf Air, when I got off the plane in Abu Dhabi I swore I would never get back on it, and didn’t (my dad stayed their so just stayed until it was ok for BA to fly again) obviously this was a long-time ago and I may have been really unlucky but I doubt I would ever book with them again.

The main reason I didn’t enjoy the flight was that passengers where allowed to take on huge pieces of luggage that didn’t fit property into the overhead luggage and while flying we encountered bad turbulence and some stuff fell out the overheads as they weren’t secure. I know plane food is never good – but theirs was awful. It was long enough ago that you still had smoking seats, and if you were a smoker in a no smoking seat it was ok to basically stand in the aisle and smoke – so if the TVs falling out the overhead luggage compartment didn’t kill you the smoke did!

Good luck!

Lesley

So am i right in saying that if i book with singapore airlines, when i get to singapore i won't have to collect my bags and recheck them i can forget about them til i arrive in adelaide from heathrow.

lisa

If you are flying SA the entire way (they do go to Adelaide iirc) or they codeshare with an airline there then no, you won't have to worry about your bags till you get to Adelaide.

I know BA and Qantas codeshare and its often a BA flight from LHR-Singapore then a Qantas flight from Singapore to Adelaide. Luggage just gets transferred without any hassle at Singapore.

Guest Guest5035
So am i right in saying that if i book with singapore airlines, when i get to singapore i won't have to collect my bags and recheck them i can forget about them til i arrive in adelaide from heathrow.

lisa

correct, unless you stop over for a night or two in a hotel.

stevo

Guest m.jephcott

I would avoid Gulf Air we flew with them 6 years ago and it was very disorganised. People had way to much carry on luggage and passangers were moving it around in overhead lockers, moving seats and it took ages to check in and take-off. Second flight was even worse very loud people pushing, overhead lockers that wouldn't shut in etc... We stopped in Bahrain and I must admit I didn't enjoy that either, luggage left all over the place unattended for hours.

I have flown Singapore to Singapore (star alliance) from Zurich, then changed onto a BA flight Singapore to Perth (One World Alliance) and had my luggage checked straight through, no problem. Both flights were booked separately through the airlines, with airmiles.

Australian airports don't seem to be so good at tagging luggage through to other airlines though. Recently flew qantas Adelaide to Sydney to connect to an international flight and couldn't check luggage through because it was a different alliance and they couldn't see the flights on their system. Friend had same experince in Brisbane. I wonder whether the fact that the first flight was a domestic one affected this, or whether it's maybe just the software in the airport check-in desks that varies from airport to airport/country to country.