Guest The Standrings

Family Allowance or whatever the equivalant is called!!!

Guest The Standrings

Hi

We are hoping to get our visa after our second baby is born in September and looking to fly out pretty much as soon as possibe. Like most people who are choosing to emigrate due to poor house prices etc, the amount of money we are going to arrive in Oz with has been dwindling by the day! As I will have 2 children, one aged 2 and ther other newborn, I am not looking to go back to work, partly because I don't think we will be able to afford the cost of childcare for two! (any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated !) Does anyone know if we are entitled to family allowance or the equivalent?? We are coming on a 176 visa, my OH is starting to well and truly panic about the financial cost of coming over and settign up. Any advice, would be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks

Emma:err:

We came out on a 475 visa, also have 2 kids and only one salary coming in. We get NO financial assistance what so ever from the gov., knew this when we came out 2 years ago and we make every dollar count. Soon be on PR so can start to claim some child allowances. Not sure about your visa type but well worth finding out.

Yes as soon as you are PR you can claim family assistance and rental assistance. You can also claim Child care allowance depending if you need it etc.

Try not to get too hung up on money as it will just drive you mad... When you first get here there seems to be no end in the spending, cars, rental bond etc.

With the money that you can get from Centrelink it can and does make a big difference depending on how much you partner is earning etc.

There is an online estimator here

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/home/index.htm

Hope that helps

Michelle