Guest guest8040

Really thick question

Guest guest8040

My agent has said my occupation is no longer on the SA list and we will have to change to the ACT route. I have no idea what this means and ive asked her but don't want to wait til tomorrow morning for the answer. Does this mean an application to another state as in Australian capital territory? If so she didn't mention that and I'll be annoyed and a bit gutted.

No question is a thick question. But yes I believe they mean Australian Capital Territory, Canberra.

Not many beaches there!!

Guest guest8040

Thought so. Theres not a lot in terms of priorities that we want but being near the coast wherever we are! Totally gutted :(

Guest Guest6899

Hi we had to change states, We visited Perth and loved it waited 6 months last year for the new SMP to come out and when it finally did they had changed the experience for professionals to 7yrs. I only have 2.5 so could no longer apply, we were limited as other states have varying stipulations on visas but have to say were all ok and happy to be coming to SA. We will give it 2 yrs and if dont like it, maybe consider Perth before home. I know its hard but if your really set on it look at it as a short term thing to then move on in a few years. (based on a 176 sponsored visa)

Lisa

Guest helene73

Don't give up go where you can it's only 2 years!

I had originally want WA but that was not possible so I had to go SA, ACT, NT or Tasmania

I choose SA funny thing is I have been told my occupation is going to be put back on WA SMP in the next few weeks but SA is now my first choice I have my heart set on it, but if I am not on SA SMP I will have to switch I will do it as 2 years is nothing and I will get to SA eventually, I suppose you just have to look at it as a big adventure :)

Guest HeatherandPip

Im really confused now too - I understood that there was an Skilled Occupation List that was applicable thru-out Australia. (according to DIAC). I get the impression from this thread that different states have different lists?

Is this so? If it is may be good news for me - i came to Adelaide in Feb last yr on a student visa, now I discover that Primary Teacher (which I have been studying for since arrival) has been removed from the SOL -severely limiting my options for visas after I graduate.

It's not a thick question, this is important and relevant to you.The bottom line is you have an opportunity to still get into the country, others have just been told no, as they don't have any other pathways. You have.Do whats best for you and yours.

Guest helene73
    Im really confused now too - I understood that there was an Skilled Occupation List that was applicable thru-out Australia. (according to DIAC). I get the impression from this thread that different states have different lists?

Is this so? If it is may be good news for me - i came to Adelaide in Feb last yr on a student visa, now I discover that Primary Teacher (which I have been studying for since arrival) has been removed from the SOL -severely limiting my options for visas after I graduate.

Right if your occupation is on the sol you can apply for a 175 however if your occupation is not on the sol you have to go the state sponsored route 176 have a look on each states website for there SMP this will tell you what they are sponsoring and if your occupation is on it, all states have different SMP's so do your homework :)

Hope this helps you :)

Guest guest8040

I know I'm grateful to still have a way in and had we been a couple with no rugrats I would not be hesitating. However my concerns are more about unsettling my kids not just once but twice if we hate it. Plus 2 years is a long time if you dont like where you live. Initially reading presents very mixed views about Canberra plus i would worry about a smaller place meaning less work coupled with the fact that forums suggest rent and mortgages are huge! Funny Helene as we had our heart set on Perth initially but are now fully taken with Adelaide for this to happen. Also if I'm honest I'm guessing our agent would have known that a change was looming when we started this process and I'm a little pissed off they didn't let us know and have only told us when I asked as a result of reading threads on here. Back to the area research drawing board and lots of thinking to do!

Guest Adelaide_bound

There are two lists basically - there is the SOL3, which your job has to be on for a 175 visa (the one you can live anywhere in Aus on, but takes a while to get) and the SOL4, which your job has to be on for a 176 (or a 175) - Primary Teacher is on that one - the visa where you get State Sponsorship and promise to live in the state for two years after arrival, but is granted a LOT quicker than the 175 visa. If you are going for a 176 visa, to get State Sponsorship your job has to be on the State Migration Plan (SMP) for the state you want to live in - Primary Teacher is on the SMP for SA, so you could apply for that (although if you are currently in Australia there are some things to look into with regards to off-shore/on shore visas and designations (ie if you are already in Australia or not - most of us being 'not' :) ) and then apply for the 176 visa (depending on where you are and the rules on being in/out of Australia, which I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount about I'm afraid, but the DIAC website is pretty good at telling you whats what if you do the visa wizard :)

Good luck :)

Guest HeatherandPip

Thanks for that. Hadn't looked at 175/176 as I'm already in Australia.

Good luck to you :)

Guest guest8040

Well don't know how true this is but agent has said 176 is a permanent residency visa and you can settle anywhere it is only a moral obligation not a legal one to go the state that has sponsored you. I'm not a rule breaker so although this seems like good news it doesn't sit comfortably with me!

Guest HeatherandPip

Thanks everyone for the advice. I believe that you have to be outside Aus to be eligible for 175 or 176. But I will make further enquiries for sure. As things stand right now I am only eligible to apply for a graduate visa which will only give me 18 months.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    So easy to get teaching position here in the country...noone wants to go in SA... and you get more $$.. go onto the DECS website (SA) and do some research. .

I am going to sound all thick now - I've been on DECS and other websites and seem to be going around in circles with regards to jobs and things - would you be able to send a link of a page with relevant jobs on - There appears to be the DECS website and then the 'Jobs in DECs' website - which do I need?

Also, a run down of how you actually get a job in SA would be really helpful - for eg in the UK, you go onto www.tes.co.uk and go to the jobs section and then apply directly to the school and hope you are shortlisted/interviewed/given the job. You can look via and agency, or if you are an NQT go through an NQT pool for a borough/council, but I don't actually know anyone that has obtained a job that way in real life....So in SA, is the Permanent Teacher Register something I need to be on? And then do you apply for specific jobs after you are on the register? Or is that something that assigns a job to you and separate from applying to specific schools? :S

Its probably v v easy and I'm being thick and just not getting it. But am v happy to go country, especially if they want to give you more money LOL! :D

Gets bloody cold in Canberra too we have friends who used to live there, and thru the winter they say it regularly drops below freezing and heres me thinking that this is cold haha

HG

Guest Adelaide_bound
    Yeah its very different in UK...aware of 9 month teacher training last time I was over there..... easier to get qualified UK due to serious shortage- here its a 4 year double degree course!! Very lucky for you! x

Um, its not really 9 months - I did 6 years at uni - a 5 year undergrad degree, then a 1 year full time PGCE - not really easy street :/

Don't believe the media - there isn't any shortage here (especially in Primary) - a lot of NQTs can't get a job, and a lot of Scottish new teachers can't get a job after their probation year - the shortage was something that they peddled a few years back to get people to go into training, but its the same as Australia - all the training meant loads of teachers now. Plus they keep putting up the retirement age, so the more experienced/older teachers aren't leaving teaching, hence no more jobs there either :(

Combined with the wishy washy touchy feely 'give them a sticker for sitting on the carpet' mentality, I think that's why there is the flood of teachers trying to get to Oz and other countries lol.