Guest Nolesy

Removals companies

Guest Nolesy

After numerous quotes and questions with 6 shipping companies, we have finally come down to a choice between PSS and Crown to ship our 40ft container (including car). Very difficult decision as both quotes are about the same and both companies have been very informative and helpful so far. In addition a big plus with PSS is the loading of everything (including car) in the container at our residence, with the main advantage of Crown, is them having their own office / warehouse / movers in Adelaide rather than using a 3rd party agent as PSS do.

Has anyone used either of these companies and had good or bad exeprience that may help us in coming to a final a decision.

Thanks

Guest Pauly

We just moved here from Leicester (arrived 15th July). We shipped with Crown as my wifes new work had a contract with them. On moving day they were meant to arrive at my wifes Leicester office at 0900 to pack that. They finally arrived at our house (yes house not office) at 1130. I had to provide info to the moving crew to get to the office where my wife waited (Crown office had failed to give the movers the info on how to get there). They packed the office then made it to our 2 bedroom apartment about 1pm. We had prepacked everything (except kitchen) into a bedroom so that it was all in one place and could just be placed in boxes. Only the big furniture remained in the other rooms (bedroom drawers, cupboards etc emptied into first bedroom). By 1900 they (3 guys) were still wrapping furniture and packing boxes. We called in 5 friends and moved everything from our second floor apartment to the truck outside (literally we moved the beds, lounge suite, all boxes etc). The movers went down to the truck and took the inventory of the stuff and loaded the truck. At the conclusion of our (our friends and us) moving everything downstairs we had to make and pack a box with all the stuff the movers had missed/left when they went to load the truck. The move was finally completed at 2130.

Crown advised us that the quote was to be increased by Aus$600 on account of there being more than they had realised (they came and viewed our apartment to give the quote but not my wifes office so they blamed that as being more than anticipated). We challenged the quote as we had down so much of the move ourselves (us and 5 friends from 1930 till 2130) so were in effect paying for a service we didn't receive.

On arrival in Adelaide 1 month later (went travelling) we kept asking Crown Australia about the quote and if our stuff had shipped. Crown informed us that they needed a report from the UK. So we waited and asked repeatedly. They kept saying they needed a report and they were getting managers to look into it, and someone would call etc etc. Finally we called the UK ourselves and got an instant answer (it had, and all it took was one phone call so why was that so hard for Crown Aus to do?). My wife checked with accounts and Crown had invoiced 5 days after we had first questioned the quote (and been paid). So despite our constant asking and Crowns promises of it being invesigated, they just went behind our back and then lied to our face.

Sorry this is all a bit hard to explain as it dragged on for 6 weeks. Our stuff is due to arrive late Sept so we will see how efficient Crown is about getting it to us.

In short I would never use Crown for any moves again, either national or international (as New Zealanders we have already moved internationally twice, UK then Aus so probably at least one more to go) and recommend that you use anybody but Crown if possible.

Should also have mentioned that although we personally were not paying the bill, we did haggle the costs down by around 15%.

Guest bishop3912
    After numerous quotes and questions with 6 shipping companies, we have finally come down to a choice between PSS and Crown to ship our 40ft container (including car). Very difficult decision as both quotes are about the same and both companies have been very informative and helpful so far. In addition a big plus with PSS is the loading of everything (including car) in the container at our residence, with the main advantage of Crown, is them having their own office / warehouse / movers in Adelaide rather than using a 3rd party agent as PSS do.

Has anyone used either of these companies and had good or bad exeprience that may help us in coming to a final a decision.

Thanks

Hi I have had experience of using both of these companies in moves to Oz (moved around loads lol) PSS was used first from Essex to Hobart, Tasmania, service was ok, albeit the packers were quite rough looking and stank of stale beer, they were so eager to get back to the pub that they packed in record time!!! the consequence being that we had aload of stuff damaged on arrival. Luckily had took out full insurance, and albeit had a bit of a fight back and forth with the insurance company managed to get our money back to replace the broken goods. Unfortunately some of it was sentimental so couldnt be replaced. In my experience this is one company I wouldnt use again.

We used Crown from Essex to Adelaide, the service that we were provided was excellent, the packers were polite and nothing was too much trouble for them, they even entertained the kids lol. Upon arrival we had excellent service this end from Crown and our stuff was packed so well, we had not one bit of damage. In my experience I would use this company again.

Suppose everyones experiences are gonna be different, at the end of the day alot depends on the packers that you have but personally I would recommend Crown. Our stuff arrived out here and was cleared by AQUIS straight away too so had our stuff on week 8. We also haggled on the price and got them down quite a lot, we played one quote off against the other.

Good luck with your move.

Guest Nolesy

Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose a lot of it is in the lap of the gods and the type of packers that arrive on the day. We are likely to give Crown the nod and just hope we get an experience like Corinne & Mark and not Pauly !

I will update this site on our experience after our move is completed.

Guest bishop3912
    Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose a lot of it is in the lap of the gods and the type of packers that arrive on the day. We are likely to give Crown the nod and just hope we get an experience like Corinne & Mark and not Pauly !

I will update this site on our experience after our move is completed.

Forgot to mention last time, a friend of mine also used Crown a year ago this month and had only a good experience with them also. Like you say all down to packers on the say I suppose. Good luck lol

We had to go through the packing twice as we were held up. The first time we used anglo pacific and they packed everything ok but when we were held up and had to put our stuff into storage the problems started. In the end we had to get all our stuff back as the storage charges were so high. When we were ready to go the second time we called them for a quote and the cost had gone through the roof!! We had spent so much of our hard earned money on them there was no reduced fee or anything. POOR services and would not recommend them. On the other hand we opted for Pickfords who were first class. A great price and everything handled superbly. Take a look at them! Good luck to you and enjoy the ride!!

I've read a few of these 'shipping' threads and have come o the conclusion that what I'd really like to happen is to link the comments to the UK companies. I remember a while ago there was a comment that one of the schools here is Adelaide saw and acted (detrimentally is I recall) on a posting. How good it would be to see Pickfords etc to acknowledge our comments - good or bad.

Guest colette

We have just returned to the UK and I have to say I was very pleased with ITS removalists and storage. They were professional, helpful and reliable. They used John Mason at the UK and I cannot recommend highly enough the UK crew. They couldn't do enough for us. Peter at ITS was so helpful in getting us the best quote and worked hard at the logistics of our shipment which was too big for a 20ft and too small for a 40ft container. I have used many different shippers as we have lived in many different countries but ITS was among the best.