Respirtory problems

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Went to the docs today, my 2 yr old son has a v bad cough and wheezing. I was told he had bronchospasm, poss asthma, and given a ventolin inhaler.

My 4 yr old daughter had the same symptoms only a couple of weeks ago and given ventolin and a preventor inhaler. Again asthma was queried. Doc told me Australia was an asthma nation. Different pollens and weather being the contributory factors of respiratory problems in children. I was shocked when i was told this. I came to OZ for a better life and now both my children have respiratory problems, possible asthma. I'm hoping it's down to the cold weather. Has anyone else had problems like this with their children, would be interesting to find out.

Went to the docs today, my 2 yr old son has a v bad cough and wheezing. I was told he had bronchospasm, poss asthma, and given a ventolin inhaler.

My 4 yr old daughter had the same symptoms only a couple of weeks ago and given ventolin and a preventor inhaler. Again asthma was queried. Doc told me Australia was an asthma nation. Different pollens and weather being the contributory factors of respiratory problems in children. I was shocked when i was told this. I came to OZ for a better life and now both my children have respiratory problems, possible asthma. I'm hoping it's down to the cold weather. Has anyone else had problems like this with their children, would be interesting to find out.

I have read a few times that Australia has an extremely high proportion of asthmatics. Our youngest two, had respiratory problems in the UK but have definitely been better here. The colder weather still gives some problems, especially if they have a cold. My wife is far more knowledgeable than me, if you would like to speak to her, just pm me.

Cooler

Guest mark&rachel

Thankyou Cooler, Doc did say that some asthmatic children that come to live in Australia find their asthma gets better, whereas those that do not, can develop asthma due to changes in pollens/weather....Interesting that.

As has been said, often when children develop a viral infection (ie a cold) it can cause asthma as a result. Usually in winter with damp/cold weather when colds are prevalent. Does not mean its a given your child has asthma long term or will need an inhaler on a regular basis. Just that this infection has resulted in it and asthmatic symptoms will pass once the infection is cleared up. My son has had a couple of nasty colds with coughs this has happened and we've used an inhaler when needed then but never outside of these rare occasions with viral infections in winter.

Guest domjcw

As the other posters has said - asthma is very common in Australia - affecting 10-15% of children. But it is even more common to have some wheezing associated with a virus - that may or may not respond to ventolin or other inhalers. It is never possible to tell with first episodes whether or not this will turn out to be a recurrent problem - so your GP was right to say that this could possibly reflect asthma. However, even if it is asthma most children with asthma have symptoms only when they have a cold, do not need any ongoing medication, and get substantially better as they get older.

cheers

Dom

Guest mark&rachel

Thanks Dom, yes have been told that a virus can lead to asthma type symptoms, let's see what the doc says 2mo, he still has a chesty cough but wheezing has subsided a fair deal.