Guest Ryan T. Lion

Diesel cars in Oz - worth taking one? Or is it petrol everywhere?

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all

We fly on 1st Aug - can't wait.

We're struggling to sell our family car here in the UK, I'm almost giving it away now.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201129403298816/postcode/HG4%202TQ

Anyway - looking at Oz used car websites, I reckon our car could be worth up to $15k, maybe $16k.

However, my buddy tells me that diesel pumps/mechanics/parts etc are practically unheard of in Oz, it's 90% petrol. Other sites say that diesels are sought after in Oz, hence worth more.

We'll lose a fortune selling it here (for next to nothing) then buying a pice of cr@p in Oz (for a fortune) the doing it all again in reverse if we return to the UK in 2013 (the current plan ish)

Any thoughts? Anyone running a diesel down under with no problems?

Also - I've heard that because the car will be an import, it will be expensive to insure. True?

Thanks all

SEE YOU SOON :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ryan & Co

Bring it if you want, there are diesel pumps at all servos. Although Volvos aren't all that common and you'll pay a premium for parts and servicing even though the parts don't cost much more here.

I wouldn't say you're giving it away though, cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay, and I'd not pay more than £2k for it. And I used to buy a LOT of cars in the UK.

Have you looked into how much tax you'll have to pay on it? I know cars are more expensive compared to the UK here, but you'll get most of that money back when you sell it again, so it's pretty irrelevant. It's just a shock initially paying five times as much than you would in UK. But they hold their value here.

current volvo for sale

I found the above on a car website, you may have already looked at this, or it may be of some use.

Your car has done a lot of miles I see, so maybe not worth as much as some of these on here. I have no idea of costs etc to bring in, but yes look at it. I run a diesel. There seems to be a few more pumps appearing at the petrol station, when we got ours, there was one pump at each petrol station, still not much better, and it can be frustrating. Had no probs with servicing. Diesel is always more expensive than petrol here though, sittting around 145 per litre at the moment. it doesn't fluctuate like petrol though.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Bring it if you want, there are diesel pumps at all servos. Although Volvos aren't all that common and you'll pay a premium for parts and servicing even though the parts don't cost much more here.

I wouldn't say you're giving it away though, cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay, and I'd not pay more than £2k for it. And I used to buy a LOT of cars in the UK.

Have you looked into how much tax you'll have to pay on it? I know cars are more expensive compared to the UK here, but you'll get most of that money back when you sell it again, so it's pretty irrelevant. It's just a shock initially paying five times as much than you would in UK. But they hold their value here.

Hi - yep, some people would only go to £2k for it - sure. All the more reason to ship it though?

We're on a 457, and potentially only in Oz for 2 years. So finance is out and we don't fancy having cash locked in to a depreciating car in the meantime.

Bring the Volvo - run it, seel it when we leave - probably even stevens and in the meantime we're got a car we know and trust...

Cheers

PS Yes got a company to email a comprehensive breakdown of the taxes required, gonna run the maths.

Guest Guest75

Plenty of Deisel pumps mate!

Very plentiful supply in the country as well.

Petrol can be scare in the outback - the govt is trying to curb petrol sniffing in outlying regions.

Looks to be a bit of a costly minefield bringing a car over.

You will have to do your sums.

Guest Guest5035

Mate check this link out

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-valuations/?N=593+4294962907+4294962906+4294961422+4294940016&search=1#ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboMake=4294962907&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboModel=4294962906&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboYearMade=4294961422&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboDescription=4294940016

The equivalent kms to your miles will be 250,000kms, which is a bit steep. The link is saying 80/140kms for that year, yes its worth a fair bit here, but whats it woirth with those kms? Remember you said you will sell it when you leave here. The diesel price is around $1.52 a litre today, might be wrong on that.

Stevo

Don't forget you have to apply to bring a vehicle over, it's not a given, I was refused for a motorbike, no reason given, but think it was probably because we were on a temporary visa, bike was 1 year old same model as is sold here, like I said no reason given just 10 days to sell.:arghh:

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Mate check this link out

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-valuations/?N=593+4294962907+4294962906+4294961422+4294940016&search=1#ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboMake=4294962907&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboModel=4294962906&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboYearMade=4294961422&ctl07_p_d_ctl08_cboDescription=4294940016

The equivalent kms to your miles will be 250,000kms, which is a bit steep. The link is saying 80/140kms for that year, yes its worth a fair bit here, but whats it woirth with those kms? Remember you said you will sell it when you leave here. The diesel price is around $1.52 a litre today, might be wrong on that.

Stevo

Ok - cheers.

Here's the maths:

Car worth in UK, in 2 years time with 200,000 miles, or 321,800km : £1,350 (at a stretch)

*Total* cost to import : £5,500 (from handing it to the shipper in UK to having it on the road in Adelaide)

Cost of car rental while it ships/arrives/clears : £1,730 (early August to late October using Europcar economy 5 dr)

So, to break even (albeit driving an otherwise unattainable family cruiser in the meantime) I would need to sell the Volvo in 2 years time, having used it to tour Oz, for..................... £8,580 - or around AU$12,900

So the question is......

Would any of you guys pay $13k for a 10 year old 2.4 D5 Diesel with 320,000km on the clock?

Guest Guest5035

Did you add on all the bits and bobs in your on road costs,to get it through Regency Park? My answer to your question, sorry no........i could get a merc or beemer or other european cars with alot less kms, abit less $$, around the same year. Have alook on carsales.com.au and search the equivalent cars

stevo

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Did you add on all the bits and bobs in your on road costs,to get it through Regency Park? My answer to your question, sorry no........i could get a merc or beemer or other european cars with alot less kms, abit less $$, around the same year. Have alook on carsales.com.au and search the equivalent carsstevo
    All costs factored in. Shipping is about £1600 the rest is Oz charges. I can't find a diesel V70 for sale anywhere in Australia! :-(

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    foxychic #3 has some on the link.

Stevo

She found 12.

10 unleaded - 2 premium unleaded.

I haven't managed to find any diesels............

....am I looking wrong?

Cheers

Here's the maths:

Car worth in UK, in 2 years time with 200,000 miles, or 321,800km : £1,350 (at a stretch)

*Total* cost to import : £5,500 (from handing it to the shipper in UK to having it on the road in Adelaide)

Cost of car rental while it ships/arrives/clears : £1,730 (early August to late October using Europcar economy 5 dr)

So, to break even (albeit driving an otherwise unattainable family cruiser in the meantime) I would need to sell the Volvo in 2 years time, having used it to tour Oz, for..................... £8,580 - or around AU$12,900

So the question is......

Would any of you guys pay $13k for a 10 year old 2.4 D5 Diesel with 320,000km on the clock?

Blimey, that sounds like so much money :err: I know we've ruled out importing our car due to the huge costs. Mind you, we probably won't be returning after 2 years so investing in a car once we are there makes sense for us.

Good luck with it all, whatever you do. A relative is returning to Adelaide this week after 2 years in the UK and he has sold everything he wanted to be shot of except his car. Its in great nick, well looked after, diesel, Ford Mondeo and he can't shift it, even after dropping the price. So he is leaving it with a friend to sell I think.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Blimey, that sounds like so much money :err: I know we've ruled out importing our car due to the huge costs. Mind you, we probably won't be returning after 2 years so investing in a car once we are there makes sense for us.

Good luck with it all, whatever you do. A relative is returning to Adelaide this week after 2 years in the UK and he has sold everything he wanted to be shot of except his car. Its in great nick, well looked after, diesel, Ford Mondeo and he can't shift it, even after dropping the price. So he is leaving it with a friend to sell I think.

It IS a lot of money - for sure. Problem is - only about £750 of it is tax etc based on the value of the car (you pay tax on roughly 40% of it's "as landed value")

So if you take an old banger worth next to nothing - it ain't worth it. A decent "newer" car and you're laughing.

My mate is going to Melbourne next month - wants to take his Golf GTi - he'd make a KILLING..... But he hasn't owned and used it for 12 mths.

I think I'm just gonna sell and cut my losses...... Fresh start etc....... Wouldn't want to impose upon a relaitve to sell it rear-guard.

Thanks all.

ps Anyone thinking about doing this, could do MUCH worse than talking to Richard Korge at Karman Shipping - he went above and beyond for us, and we were just considering it - there was nothing in it for him, really.