Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarK Jowett

Skills Assessment from ACS - Systems Administrator - Advice needed

Guest MarK Jowett

Hello, me again!

I'm now looking for assistance with regards the information gathering for my skills assessment from the Australian Computer Society.

I'm applying as a Systems Administrator, and whilst my work over the last 8 years (with just two different companies) has involved systems administration, it certainly hasn't been limited to it, but I want to make sure my references etc show me in the best possible light in that regards.

Due to the wonderful work i've done, both my current, and former employers have basically said 'you write it and i'll sign it' so I want to know what sort of level of detail to go into with the references.

If anyones done this or a similar skills assesment and can help me out here i'll be very appreciative.

Thanks

Mark

Guest rami.helmy

Hello Mark,

I've had a positive skills assessment from ACS from about 1 year but as a software engineer.

Your job reference should follow the specification required by ACS as much as possible which includes:

1- The reference letter should be on the company letter head

2- It should mention your start/end date, position name, permanent or temporary including the number of hours worked per week, and that it was a paid position

3- It should mention at least 5 of your duties/responsibilities

Guest MarK Jowett

Thanks Rami. That's a great help. Can you tell me if you got the reference from HR or from a manager - it would be easier for me to get one from my present and former manager.

Guest MarK Jowett

I should also mention that i'll be looking at applying as GROUP A - since my degree is a BSc(Hons) in Business Information Systems.

Would this mean I need less by the way of employer references?

Guest rami.helmy

Your are welcome :)

I've worked at 3 different companies, so I got 2 reference letters from the HR (backed up by college's references + contracts + pay slips), and one reference letter from my manager on the company letter head that satisfies all the conditions required by ACS.

If you can get reference letters from your former, and present managers including all the above points it will be excellent, but make sure that it is on the company letter head and it is signed by the manager stating his position and contact details.

Guest rami.helmy

Hi Mark,

According to the ACS web site, since you're applying as Group A you only need to provide references for 2 years experience.

But in my opinion since you can get reference letters covering 8 years, then it is better to get them to support your application.