Guest ryanroberts21

Looking to move to SA in the next 12 months

Guest ryanroberts21

Hi All,

Me, my wife and 2 kids are looking to emigrate in the next 12-18 months. I currently work as a retail manager at tesco and my wife is due to qualify as a nurse at the end of december. We have only just started to look at the possibility of migrating but recognice SA would be our first choice as we have some extended family in Adelaide. I am basically looking for some advice on what would be the first steps we would take? Any information would be gratefully received! We would preferbly want to have a job lined up for one of us if not both so we are stable for our children. What sort of funds would we need to save to be able to start the process?

Cheers Guys

If you want to continue in the same line of work, it may be worth contacting the main supermarkets here in Adelaide, which are Coles, Woolworths and Foodland to find out about any vacancies that they may have.

Have you had an initial chat with a migration agent yet? Many offer free initial consultations and I think it is well worth getting some ideas of the different tyypes of visas you may be eligible for, and take it from there.

Amount of money you would need varies widely from one family to another - all you can guarantee is it will be more than you thought!! If you have jobs lined up that will obviously help, but you'll need to sort accommodation, transport and possible childcare, utilities, internet etc out in the first few months, as well as everyday stuff such as petrol, food and drink, and if you're moving into unfurnished accommodation within those first few months, you'll have to restock with all the food and cleaning essentials that you just acquire over years in the UK but can't bring with you here! Obviously this is on top of the costs of getting your visas, selling/renting your property in the UK, shipping your furniture (and any pets you can't leave behind), and your fares over here!

Good luck!

Probably the best thing you can do is start researching by reading threads on boards like this and the DIAC site on visa types. Search for a few key things and begin the learning process! Remember, though, that when it comes to learning from fellow migrants, we each have different experiences and opinions, so take a balanced perspective of what you find out. Don't get too hooked up on things like suburbs as they'll likely look very different to you once you're here to how they're described.

Of course it's possible to go from the start of the process to being here within 12 months, but for most it takes a fair bit longer than that, so I'd suggest cramming in as much info as you can.

Jim

Guest MathewGiffen
    Hi All,

Me, my wife and 2 kids are looking to emigrate in the next 12-18 months. I currently work as a retail manager at tesco and my wife is due to qualify as a nurse at the end of december. We have only just started to look at the possibility of migrating but recognice SA would be our first choice as we have some extended family in Adelaide. I am basically looking for some advice on what would be the first steps we would take? Any information would be gratefully received! We would preferbly want to have a job lined up for one of us if not both so we are stable for our children. What sort of funds would we need to save to be able to start the process?

Cheers Guys

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia is well serviced with a range of publications that provide extensive information about what to do and see and how to settle here.I am pleased to be able to say that the majority of information that has been published is of good quality, particularly government resources.

Here are some links to start you off.

http://www.immi.gov.au

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/home.jsp

Your wife will need post qualifying experience to use her occupation for the visa. Not sure about retail management think that will require employer sponsorship, unless it is on SA State Migration Plan (SMP) which I doubt.

Have a good read through these resources, they are the official sites so all info is accurate and up to date.

The immigration rules only seem to be getting tougher and will change again next July (the Oz tax and admin year runs from 1st July).

Guest Rachael Reeve

God small world, I worked for Tesco in Lincoln( in management). good luck hope it works out for you and your family.