R & H

The Ozzie dollar getting a little too strong?

Hi All

I see the Aussie Dollar is at $1.47 today and that is my business live trading rate, I hope it doesn't get too much stronger. It has to correct itself soon.....doesn't it?

The economy is far too reliant on the commodities, I know from my contacts that other markets in exports from Australia are suffering terribly.

Just how far are they prepared to let it strengthen I wonder?

Russell

1.47 is the interbank rate - for us average "men in the street" you're looking at more like 1.37! Good news for aussies doing internet shopping, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Guest Guest5035

Its actually being blamed on the CPI rising 0.1% more than predicted and there could be a interest rate rise next week. But i also heard thats it is because the AU$$ is a safe haven as the American $$ and the deficit over there, thats actually when the AU $$ rose. So when the americans sort out what they are doing the AU will drop................only slightly though.

stevo

Guest Guest5035
    for us average "men in the street"

Are you dressing up in drag again Diane...got the blue singlet on again:wacko:

stevo

Personally, I think the $ will get stronger for a few more months, then it will start to correct itself when things start to sort themseves out in Europe and the USA. Also, I think that China will start to have real issues with inflation over the next 12 months. Because Australia is so strongly tied to the commodoties markets, the $ will weaken pretty promptly. Look what happened with the Japanese earthquake, it lost 9.6% in a few days. As previously indicated, it appears the Aussie government is prepared to allow the rest of the Australian economy to suffer. Since we started our application the dollar has strengthened 39%, which from a business investor (my visa is a 163 Business Investor) and a personal perspective, it is a real consideration

I'm hoping that by this time next year it will be up around $1.65+ as the rest of the world starts to get back on their feet.

I guess that what happens when UK Plc was run by the Labour bunch of ****holes that sold our country's soul to Europe and had an 'everybody' welcome immigration policy, that has sadly destroyed my country for the last 12 + years. Everyone knows that Europe couldn't 'run a bath' let alone dozens of countries that speak different languages and all have different cultures. I speak from experience having been in business for 25 years dealing with (or at least trying to deal with) numerous countrie in the EC.

That is one of the the main reasons for leaving England, although I have a nice business over here, I see absolutely no future for my children here and I see a lot of opportunity in Australia. The other reason is that having visited Australia three times over the last 6 years (twice to Adelaide), we all fell in love with the country. I also believe that South Australia has an amazing future, one that my family wants to be part off. (There, I needed to get that off my chest!!!):wink:

Guest Guest5035

I guess that what happens when UK Plc was run by the Labour bunch of ****holes that sold our country's soul to Europe and had an 'everybody' welcome immigration policy, that has sadly destroyed my country for the last 12 + years. Everyone knows that Europe couldn't 'run a bath' let alone dozens of countries that speak different languages and all have different cultures. I speak from experience having been in business for 25 years dealing with (or at least trying to deal with) numerous countrie in the EC.

QUOTE]

in the next 12 years here mate it'll be the same, unless they curb how many come here.

stevo

Guest loopylisa

Not for me I have a career development loan in the UK to pay off so the stronger the better( when i get there and get a job offer that is!!!) lol

Guest The Dimmocks

We only changed our money over the beginning of this month as need it to put down on our house. We have got a substaintial deposit and if could turn clock back would have changed it as soon as house in UK sold at 1.75, but we didnt and exchanged over 5 days at 1.47-1.50. Have a few times worked out what "we could have got", but we look at it as we havent lost anything we still in a good position so getting on with it. Just now we have a mortgage and in July last year we would have had hardly any mortgage :eek::realmad:

Guest guest4829
    QUOTE]

in the next 12 years here mate it'll be the same, unless they curb how many come here.

stevo

Is it just me that finds this kind of statement ironic on an emigration website?

Daniel

QUOTE]

stevo

I hope you not referring to me?.....:biggrin:

Good for you Lisa, one man's meat, is another man's poison eh? (for those ladies amongst you, please replace 'man's' with 'woman's'...) Wouldn't want to have any issues with 'sexism' on this site !... me being a newcomer to PIA :biggrin:

Hi

I feel for you, but I guess getting a new life in agreat country with lots of opportunities is the way to look at it. That's what I will be telling myself..... Russell

Guest Guest75

Boy,those were the days when we started coming over to SA in the late 90's. First thing we did was open an Oz bank account to ship brass out. We could not believe how much we were getting on the rate.

Saying that an old mate of mine moved out here perhaps 20 years before me and there was parity twixt the Dollar and the Pound!!:shocked:

Saying that an old mate of mine moved out here perhaps 20 years before me and there was parity twixt the Dollar and the Pound!!:shocked:

Odd because the Australian dollar has never made parity with the British pound.

This graph shows the movement between 1969 and 2009 between the Australian Dollar AUD and the British Pound GBP, expressed as the value of the British Pound that ONE Australian dollar would purchase:

gbp-aud1.jpg GBP - AUD Historic Currency Exchange rate

Guest Guest75
    Odd because the Australian dollar has never made parity with the British pound.

This graph shows the movement between 1969 and 2009 between the Australian Dollar AUD and the British Pound GBP, expressed as the value of the British Pound that ONE Australian dollar would purchase:

gbp-aud1.jpg GBP - AUD Historic Currency Exchange rate

Hmmmm,it's what he said. I'll have to ask him when he actually did arrive. He is 81 now so a wide range

typed a big long reply, then hit the wrong button, but essentially, my reply was that I think we may be living in a bubble that is about to pop, as those in power don't seem to realise that the strong aussie $ is causing rippling problems throughout the economy.

typed a big long reply, then hit the wrong button, but essentially, my reply was that I think we may be living in a bubble that is about to pop, as those in power don't seem to realise that the strong aussie $ is causing rippling problems throughout the economy.

These are my thoughts as well, it's dangerous building an economy based almost totally on commodities as China 'will' be effected by inflation and America 'is' still slowing down. All other exports from Australia are suffering badly and housing is slowing down.

Effectively the markets are only 'sheltering' with the Australian Dollar, when the economies around the world pick up, this money will go back into the US, Japanese & European markets.

This will then correct the Australian dollar quite quickly and sharply.