Time To Go: Had Enough (Follow On)..

Guest The_Tartan_Pimpernel

Guest The_Tartan_Pimpernel

Squareman, thanks for the reply and I've already been down that road.

Went to Work SA to check my quals and CV and was advised that it's one of the best they have seen and I did the one minor change they requested (swapped my carear profile so it was above my quals).

I recently recieved this from Work SA.

Dear Skills Recognition Services Client

Skills Recognition Services (SRS) has been approached to support the South Australian Equal Opportunity Commission which is looking into the employment experiences of migrants.

The Commission handles complaints of discrimination and also conducts training and community education. It has been conducting presentations to skilled migrants on their rights and responsibilities in the workplace, and it has received feedback that new migrants are facing some common barriers to finding employment.

As a result the Commission would like to find out more about the job search experiences of new migrants. If you have come to South Australia as a skilled migrant in the past two years, the Commission would love to hear from you through a survey it is conducting. If you would like to take part in the survey you can find it at the following link:

We thank you for your time and appreciate your assistance.

Kind Regards

SKILLS RECOGNITION SERVICES TEAM

Skills Recognition Services, Employment Programs

Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology

So I know this is not just me......

Guest Squareman

Interesting! I guess everyone's experiences are different and I have been luckier than you. I am a Scot with a South African passport, afterall! :-)

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Tartan,

Just wondering what kind of visa you are on. The above survey came about because it has been well documented that many employers don't understand the provisional or temporary visas and are only interested in employing people with permanent residency. If this could be your problem, there is a letter that can be printed out from the Migration SA website explaining the visas so employers don't have to worry about workers leaving.

Good luck, Kazza

My partner and I received the letter as well (we are not plumbers) through the post. I think we only received it because we had been to the Skills Recognition Service to get our UK qualifications checked against Australian equivalents, purely for interest purposes as our qualifications have never been queried, so we were on their mailing list. Although they only want to know your opinions if you have come in the last 2 years (we came in March 2007!!!), so I think they have just sent it out to anyone of their database!!!

Guest guest1255

I was really sad to read your post....took my hubby 10 months to find employment , so we know exactly how you feel.....i had a pretty decent job so the pressure wasn't too bad. we where going to try different states before if something didnt turn up, and they do seem to have a lot more jobs in the other states. it may be worth checking out. good luck with everything. x tess