Yorkshire Meet???

Guest Happychick

Guest Rorrisons

Hi there, this is my first post on PomsinAdelaide, reading posts for a while and just brilliant, everyone seems so nice and helpful so hope I can help others in the future.

Husband is a builder, have a little girl who is 21 month old and a chocolate labrador dog Hugo who is the most gentle sweet boy ever, although he is almost 8 stone and looks like a big bear. We are waiting for 175 visa and going on a reccie 20th April to Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne but the more research I do, the more I feel that Adelaide is where we want to settle.

Would we be able to join you on 5th April, live in Halifax so meet-up only about 20 minutes away. Think it is really important to meet others in the same situation, no-one else can understand how the visa process and research in areas, work, schools in Oz etc takes over your life, really looking forward to meeting others who have the drive and guts to make a better life for themselves and their families.

Many thanks:)

Steve (35), Amanda (37), Maisie (21 months) and Hugo (8 years and 8 stone)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Happychick

Hi Steve , Amanda and Maisie, and of course Hugo

You are more than welcome to join us on the 5th, so far there will be 10 adults and a few Kids.. As you say its great to speak to like minded people who are in the same boat.. There only so much you can talk to your friends and family about..

Bet you cant wait to do your reccie, how long are you going for!! We fly out in may cant wait!!

Looking forward to meeting you on the 5th

Take care

Lisa

Guest Rorrisons

Spending 7 days in Perth, 9 days in Adelaide and 7 days in Melbourne so hopefully enough time to get an idea of the area and if we think we could settle. Research swinging me towards Adelaide for the lifestyle we want for us as a family and for Maisie to grow up, dont want her to be streetwise like kiddies have to be here in towns in the UK.

Anyway, see you all on the 5th May (day before my 38th birthday !!), really looking forward to meeting you all.

Many thanks

Rorrisons xx

Guest markshelley

Evening all.:policeman:

We aint been on for a few days due to been busy and also no connection last night maybe due to the earthquake !!! :unsure:

Steve and Amanda - Me and shelley are in two minds whether or not to do a reccie prior to going out, its just with the amount it would cost for 2 adults and 3 kids would be a fortune (that fortune would come in handy getting settled over there prior to me starting work), so how much did it cost you if you dont mind us asking?

Regards

Mark and Shelley............. :Randy-git: 's ha ha

Guest susanmary38

Hi all

How many are there coming to your meeting, we would love to come along if there is still room, Sue needs to talk to a few people about there views on migration, & what its like over in Adelaide, she has mixed feelings about moving even though we are well into the visa process, we don't live far away, Queensbury between Bradford & Halifax.

Sue n Dave:unsure:

Guest jill wright

Hi Sue n Dave

Think 10 adults +kids but the more the merrier sure the place will hold us. Re Mark and Shelley ,we too were gonna do a reccie (see previous thread) but like you think the money would be put to better use when there. the visa plus meds is a commitment in itself + costs enough too. look forward to us all swapping ideas plus views on the 5th.

the Wrights(Ossett nr Wakefield)

Guest Rorrisons

Hi there, it cost us £740 flight each from Manchester to Perth, via Singapore with Singapore Airlines (apparently the best) and departing from Melbourne back to Manchester, again via Singapore. Internal flights have been really cheap - less than £90 Perth to Adelaide each (4.5 hours) and £25 each from Adelaide to Melbourne (1.45 hours). Staying in 2 bedroom apartment in Scarborough beach for 8 days in Perth which is about £500 altogether and Woodcroft Caravan Park in Adelaide which is about £400 for 9 days. Not sure about Melbourne as yet, may hire a motorhome. Hope this helps, maybe check different airlines for cheaper fares and half price for kiddies. If I can help anymore let me know.

Amanda

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JennyJay

Hi Andi,

were new on this site just looking through and noticed you have children the same age, is your oldest getting their own visa or is there some other way round it . Hope you dont mind me asking. We live in Sheffield only just started long process. Its great you are all meeting love to meet you all one day,

Bye 4 now,

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I dont mind you contacting me as this site is great for finding out information. We are still getting our TRA sorted and will apply for actual visa in a month or so.

No my eldest who is nearly 22 has decided to apply in his own right in a couple of years as his partner is currently obtaining a teaching degree. He is a plasterer so shouldnt have any problems. My 17 year old is now 18 so at present we dont know if we can apply for him as a dependant (still at college part time as a gas engineer) or whether he will have to apply for student visa or temp yearly visa, but these are all options.

We are using an agent as the TRA process was a bit daunting but you should contact a few agents and use their knowledge to find out the best option for your family.

Unfortunately im away for the Yorkshire meet and Leeds expo but hoping to catch up with other Yorkshire people soon.

Good luck

Andi

Guest leemi1

Hi

Just wondering if anybody is going to the Leeds expo my name is Mick and my wife is Toni we will be going for a look around before we go to Adelaide in May for a recce :jiggy:has anybody been to one of there’s before if so what are we likely to see also when is the best time to go

Cheers

Mick,toni

Guest JennyJay

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info, I thought he had to apply for his own (I think it was a little wishful thinking that he could come on ours) but he is qualified chef so I cant see him having any problems. My younger son is 18 in June but still in full time education (brick layer), we have been told that if they are 18 or over but still in full time education they can still come on your visa. How true this is I am not sure. Anyway thanks again Andy,

Bye 4 now

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Yes your older son does have to apply in his own right but like mine his age and job should provide him with no problems. Yes if your 18 year old is in full time education (you can prove he relies on you for money) - dont they all, then he can go on your visa. Thats why we dont know about my son as he has an apprentiship and college but get paid very litte, my agent said its a case of proving he relies on you for money. We are hoping he can come on our visa but will speak with agent when i submit the actual forms. Hope this helps.

Andrea

Guest munsters

Hi, just looking at your message - my family live across the other side of the showcae - BIG roundabout - you know the one.((the one with diggers on it at present)) We are all new to this and are the very first stages - if you have any good advice let me know. Cheers Sam.

(haven't quite found my way around the site yet)

Guest munsters

Hi, we're going to go on the Saturday - prob as early as pos before it gets too busy, that way if we've forgotten to ask anything we could always go back Sunday.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Happychick

Hi ,

Hope everyones ok? Just wanted to check who was still up for the meet on the 5th april at the Brickworks, We havnt been on line for last week or so due to house move and things!

Also is any one going to the expo in leeds the same weekend??

Hope everyone can still make it

Lisa

Guest the o'shea's

Hi We have been living in Adelaide since Nov 23 07 and have settled very well. We are from west yorkshire. If you need any help with any info just let us know. My name is Lori, my husband Steve is a print manager and we have a daughter Caitlin who is nearly 12. We are renting in Aldinga beach and having a house built which should take a year to complete.

Guest markshelley

Hi all,

Just a quick post to say we will be there and we are all looking forward to meeting all that meets up. So fingers crossed for some aussie weather.

See you all soon

Mark, Shelley, Courtney, Harry, Charlie.:jiggy:

Guest jill wright
Hi ,

Hope everyones ok? Just wanted to check who was still up for the meet on the 5th april at the Brickworks, We havnt been on line for last week or so due to house move and things!

Also is any one going to the expo in leeds the same weekend??

Hope everyone can still make it

Lisa

Hi Lisa and everyone :Delse hoping to meet this saturday

Still hoping to be there but may just be myself and Thomas(6) as Phil is golfing and can't rearrange it (you know thse golf societies!!!)

see you there Jillx

Guest Rorrisons
Hi

Just wondering if anybody is going to the Leeds expo my name is Mick and my wife is Toni we will be going for a look around before we go to Adelaide in May for a recce :jiggy:has anybody been to one of there’s before if so what are we likely to see also when is the best time to go

Cheers

Mick,toni

Not been to a expo like this before, hubby went to the one at Australia House recently but I am hoping that the one at the weekend has lots of info on shipping, tax, pets, etc etc to absorb and take away leaflets to study later.

We are also going on a reccie to Adelaide in May too - first to Perth for 9 days and then Adelaide for 9 days before Melbourne for a week. Really excited but nervous at the same time. Where are you staying and areas planning to visit. Maybe you could PM me.:v_SPIN:

Guest susanmary38

Hi all

We will try & get there, looking forward to sharing some stories, pickin your brains.

Just to let you all know, we have just received our state sponsorship back from S.A gov, and can now apply for our visas, YIPPEE.

Actually we are brickin it, really nervous.

see ya soon Dave n Sue [Queensbury]

Guest jill wright

Hi all

Could you just confirm the time you are all hoping to meet Saturday. Phil and I have just had a ride out so I know where I am going cos Thomas and I are going on our own (hope you don't mind). it's quite a big pub so if you could let me know the time and we'll be there (you'll notice us probably only woman and 7 year old on there own). Thanks and really looking forward to meeting you all

Jill