Cost of groceries: Aus vs UK

soo_the_panda

For psychologists a newly qualfied in the UK is a NHS band 7(about £35k), In oz they are paying equiv £48k!!! Its the same for other mental health positions I have come across and I have recently applied for a job which pays £10k more £35 vs £25 than the exact same job of this level in the UK. I guess I should just count myself lucky!

Can you please show your workings. Are you comparing wages on the current exchange rate? As if so, it's not really comparable tbh.

A good figure to work on is 2.2 dollars to the pound. As historically that's about the average, and Australia is about 2.2 times more expensive than the UK.

Wages aren't always higher here. My fiancee does earn quite a bit more here, but I earn a lot less. So much less in fact, I'm considering looking at moving back in a year or two if I can't find more money.

Guest loopylisa

Yes Im using the current exchange rate, I cant really understand why you wouldnt compare it to the current exchange rate and why you would compare it historically. The AUS economy is very different now to what it was when I was a child, as is the UK. I seriously doubt the aussie dollar will be 2.2 against the pound anytime soon!

The other thing to consider is just how much food prices have gone up in the UK in the past couple of years. And wages generally have not. Its a general trend here and with things like gas prices having jumped some insane percentage (£200 a year more for our household) and fuel is average £1.35 a litre for our area, factor in other living costs and its not cheap to live here at all.

Food items are increased in price, not only a few pence but 20 or 30p a time. I know my food bill keeps creeping higher and higher. And the meal deal things like BOGOF don't really help as often they are for junk foods or processed foods and I don't like to use those too much.

A few things I've noticed while shopping of late that have increased

*Bread (named brand) - gone up from 70/80p a loaf to an average of £1.20

*Hummus - Jumped 20p

*Baby wipes - now almost double the price

*Tesco own brand tissues - a few months ago 25p a box, now jumped 20 pence or so

*Digestive biscuits (named brand) 79p now £1.09 (they cunningly snuck the price up after they were on special for a couple of weeks and people forget the price beforehand)

*Ready meals - Another trick they are doing here (hubby eats them sometimes and I do notice this happening as a wider thing) is to keep the price the same but reduce the weight by 25 or 50g or so. This is also being done for tinnned stuff, sauces, ketchups, cereals and so on. So you pay the same but get less weight wise.

*Chocolate - cocoa prices have gone through the roof due to shortages at source. So even a Mars bar costs the other side of 55p these days. A Twirl was recently 57p! Buttons are 55p.

Chicken has jumped a massive amount in price. Even a couple of fillets cost a fiver. You can't buy those mass produced water injected £3 chook deals in Tesco these days, thats for sure (actually glad as this was so bad for the farmers and the birds, never bought one).

Fish - Cod is very expensive. Its been overfished and is now therefore stupidly priced. I can buy salmon more cheaply and yet that is considered a 'luxury' type fish by many.

I know even when I am holidaying in Aus I don't compare prices. I guess my years of living overseas got me well used to not comparing. There isn't any point and even when on holiday, I figure I'm on holiday so I am not going to worry. Its not like we are splurging on fine dining every night we are out or anything. Just the usual stuff and we keep within our limits.

I have checked some of these prices on the Coles website and Australia comes out more expensive than the UK, whether you are using an exchange rate of 1.5:1 or 2:1

*Bread (named brand) - gone up from 70/80p a loaf to an average of £1.20

Coles (named brand bread) - Tip Top $3.29, Wonder White $3.79, Abbotts $4.48

*Tesco own brand tissues - a few months ago 25p a box, now jumped 20 pence or so

Coles Smartbuy $1.24

*Digestive biscuits (named brand) 79p now £1.09

Coles - Arnotts biscuits – varying from $1.95 to $3.55 a pack depending on which type

*Chocolate - a Mars bar costs the other side of 55p these days. A Twirl was recently 57p!

Coles – Mars Bar $1.67 Twirl $1.87

Guest loopylisa

Errr explain this one then http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254924629

Besides its a pointless and fruitless exercise to compare prices of food to whats in the UK. What does it gain you? You learn some stuff is more expensive some is cheaper. So what?... You're in Australia and are bound by the prices there, that is unless you have a secret pledge with tesco.com for international shipping?

Im sorry I just dont get the obsession for nostalgia over grocery prices, its going right over my head

Guest purplerdt77

We are in the Uk now and the prices in the supermarkets seem to be rising weekly luckily I love and shop at lidl, I am looking forward to the challenge of shopping around in Oz for the best prices, I think this is all part of the excitement of moving to a new place, and to be honest I am willing to pay the extra for the privilege of coming to live in a better enviroment for my family.

Guest loopylisa

I was going to add that purple. So what if its more expensive?(which it isnt anyway) its WORTH IT. C'mon let me hear you say...

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE... OI OI OI :biglaugh:

Errr explain this one then http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254924629

B

esides its a pointless and fruitless exercise to compare prices of food to whats in the UK. What does it gain you? You learn some stuff is more expensive some is cheaper. So what?... You're in Australia and are bound by the prices there, that is unless you have a secret pledge with tesco.com for international shipping?

Im sorry I just dont get the obsession for nostalgia over grocery prices, its going right over my head

Err those are chocolate biscuits you've linked to. Never buy those. We buy plain ones and when they were on special I bought the McVities ones as they were cheaper than own brand. And then the price went insane.

Adelaide_bound - butter is something we don't buy anymore. We've gone over to an olive oil spread (supposedly healthier) and it works out cheaper (especially if its on special and I can stock up with a few of them).

You'd have liked this deal I got in Waitrose the other day. These four TV dinners cost me a grand total of 4 pence. Yes 4p. I know, cheap at half the price!

Bought them in the reduced soon out of date fridge. Priced at £1.15 each (full price £3.89 each). They were also part of a buy 2 for £5.50. So at the checkout I paid £4.60 for 4 and then the offer took off £2.28 twice for the deal. Even with my crappy maths that works out a bargin :>

Apparently they do this all the time. I asked about it and they said most people don't realise that even though things are reduced, if they are part of a promotion they still then get the promo reduction on top. They said they have a couple of people come in every day a few times and clear out the reduced section of this sort of stuff. I wish I had the freezer room :| I always check out the reduced sections and do try to stock up on the cheap when I can :cute: Hubby likes his TV dinners now and again but they have had this sort of thing with meat, veggies and pizzas in recent months. For 1p a meal hubby can eat a microwave meal once a week for a month now :biggrin:

cheap.jpg

Guest Adelaide_bound
Adelaide_bound - butter is something we don't buy anymore. We've gone over to an olive oil spread (supposedly healthier) and it works out cheaper (especially if its on special and I can stock up with a few of them).

Rob makes (amazing) cakes and need butter for that though (I know other people say you can use fake butter etc, but we are the natural sort, so butter it must be lol). Although, its his birthday this weekend, and I have to step up the plate. His last cake was for my b'day and was an amazing golden armadillo (the one before, our amazing 3 tier wedding cake, all different flavours and decors) - I have NO idea how I am meant to do anything approaching that....lol

Guest Adelaide_bound

You'd have liked this deal I got in Waitrose the other day. These four TV dinners cost me a grand total of 4 pence. Yes 4p. I know, cheap at half the price!

I LOVE waitrose - I got 5 packets of best angus beef mince (the huge ones) there for 30p each - the only shop imho that still does proper reductions lol

If you read moneysavingexpert website there are threads and threads about 'beating' the supermarkets over here - how to get one over on Tesco etc - some of them are a bit obsessed though - they hunt out so called bargains, but if they didn't buy them in the first place they would have saved soooo much more lol I agree, if they were going to buy them anyway, fab - and things like 4p, that's just OBVIOUS saving money hehe.

Yes Im using the current exchange rate, I cant really understand why you wouldnt compare it to the current exchange rate and why you would compare it historically. The AUS economy is very different now to what it was when I was a child, as is the UK. I seriously doubt the aussie dollar will be 2.2 against the pound anytime soon!

It doesn't represent a true comparison though. Using the current exchange rate I'm only earning slightly less here than I was in the uk, where as using a more appropriate figure means I'm earning far less, which is obvious due to much less disposable income. I've no doubt oz is different to when you were young, the uk is different now than it was when I was young.

The exchange rate is only really any use for exchanging currency. But as it's at an all time low at the moment, it will skew the results.

I have been here just over three weeks and sat last night going through our grocerie receipts.This was more so that i could try and budget how many $'s i need per week for food,cleaning products etc.Since we are until i start work (and probably still then)a lower earning household ($50k)and also a family of 5.Shopping at woolworths we can just about cover the weekly shop for $200.I wanted to post purely to help anyone coming over in a similar situation get a rough idea on budget.I don't think going from spending £500/£600 per month in the UK to $800 per month here is too bad.What you also have to take into account is that what you eat here is likely to be different to the UK.We are drinking far more water and fruit juice and especially as the weather heats up will want lighter meals.I have noticed the "junk food" is more expensive,which is no bad thing.I have been quite dissapointed at the vast number of McDonalds and the like around.

On another note we did'nt ship any furniture at all and have just furnished the entire house including dinner service,towels etc for little more than many pay for shipping.If we looked at the exchange rate there we would have spent about 5x's as much to buy in the UK.

If anyone can tell me where the best markets are near Hallett cove i would love to give them a go.

Hi not getting into the debate but a friend shops over at a fruit barn at O'hallaran hill and swears by it.

HTH

Guest mellymoo

Its because the Australian Dollar is so strong compared to the pound! We both earn alot more here than England. But yes it is more expensive here for food shopping. But very good quality!!!

Guest ebstar

Right i think we are kind of loosing perspective here.If we were all in the Uk we would have the same debate over tesco,morrisons,sainsburys etc.The fact is we all have our "favorite" places,where we feel we get the best deal.No two shopping trollys will be filled the same,as we have different preferences/weaknesses.Prices fluctuate on all kinds of things we need,food,heat or even housing.It is for us to decide where we would like to live and if it's affordable to us.

For us living in the UK we could only just cover our bills.By that i mean the basics of rent,gas,elec,food,fuel etc.We had no credit cards,luxurys or going out with the kids unless to a free park.My oh worked 7 days a week,often not getting home untill i had gone to bed.I worked a 5 day week in NHS,leaving home at 7am and getting back about 7pm.By the time i got the kids to bed and had dinner it was bed for me.On the weekend by the time i helped the kids with homework,done shopping and cleaning the weekend was gone.No enjoyment and no relationship with oh or the kids.Time with friends and family was virtualy non existant.

We are now in OZ and yes some food seems more expensive but also i am buying different things.If we compare all prices the house we are now living in (for within £15 of what i paid in UK)is massive.I could fit our previous rental in just the upstairs of our new place.I don't pay tv licence,council tax or water bills,that's around £200 saving per month without mentioning mot,car tax,insurance etc.I know we have to pay medical stuff over here but honestly what's the obsession with food.

Living here we can just manage on my oh wages, when i start work that will make things easier of course.The main thing is we eat as a family every night and have every weekend together.For me that is priceless! We missed out on so much before and that was a big part of our decision to move. Maybe looking at what you now have rather than a weekly shop that may have saved a few £'s would be better.

Sorry rant over.I know it's not going to be the same for all but i love my new home,life and country.xx

Regarding all of this thread pretty much, isn't it just our nature to grumble about the little things? We can be happy as you like overall with our lives but we still like to have a grumble and a chat over a cuppa/beer/phone/internet don't we? As well as talk about the positives and the good things. I kind of think threads like this are what this is, a bit of a natter about whatever is on your mind. Might not be earth shattering or meant to be down on whatever country we happen to be living in, just conversation. It has to have a starting point, an ebb and flow, different viewpoints, a bit of topic meandering and anything else that comes along.

I know for sure whenever I meet up with my friends here in the UK the subject usually gets around to the cost of certain things. If you have kids its often nappies, wipes, clothes, price of entry fees into places etc, if you are my hubby its the extortionate price of bus fare into the city and the crappy service it provides.

However, that is not to say I don't appreciate some people tire of certain comparisons or grumbles but that doesn't mean its wrong or that the person saying so isn't entitled to or should simply shut up and put up. Moving anywhere, be it overseas or simply to another town can be a challenge and people often find, for reasons they can't fathom they do compare, do price watch, do grumble about services or the difference in certain aspects of living. Its just what we do, we chat about it all. Sometimes we do it in person, face to face with our friends, other times we come here and share.

As I said in an earlier post, I tend not to compare prices when overseas, well trained to that. But you know what, I do compare them now in the shops over here to try to save myself some pennies where I can. And I share my findings with my friends over a cuppa.

:cute:

Guest bishop3912
Regarding all of this thread pretty much, isn't it just our nature to grumble about the little things? We can be happy as you like overall with our lives but we still like to have a grumble and a chat over a cuppa/beer/phone/internet don't we? As well as talk about the positives and the good things. I kind of think threads like this are what this is, a bit of a natter about whatever is on your mind. Might not be earth shattering or meant to be down on whatever country we happen to be living in, just conversation. It has to have a starting point, an ebb and flow, different viewpoints, a bit of topic meandering and anything else that comes along.

I know for sure whenever I meet up with my friends here in the UK the subject usually gets around to the cost of certain things. If you have kids its often nappies, wipes, clothes, price of entry fees into places etc, if you are my hubby its the extortionate price of bus fare into the city and the crappy service it provides.

However, that is not to say I don't appreciate some people tire of certain comparisons or grumbles but that doesn't mean its wrong or that the person saying so isn't entitled to or should simply shut up and put up. Moving anywhere, be it overseas or simply to another town can be a challenge and people often find, for reasons they can't fathom they do compare, do price watch, do grumble about services or the difference in certain aspects of living. Its just what we do, we chat about it all. Sometimes we do it in person, face to face with our friends, other times we come here and share.

As I said in an earlier post, I tend not to compare prices when overseas, well trained to that. But you know what, I do compare them now in the shops over here to try to save myself some pennies where I can. And I share my findings with my friends over a cuppa.

:cute:

Well said Snifter we all love a good natter & banter/groan abt things in life generally, and no its not just the Poms the Aussies love it too lol (well the ones ive met). I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with it and I also don't see it as a dig at either country. As the original poster stated, they just "felt the need to share", I find this forum is great for getting things off your chest. Everyone who does the shopping in either country knows how to save the pennies now, unfortunately is a part of life in these financially hard times. I know that some people who move over to Oz r lucky in that their salary may be higher, but sweeping generalisations of this, on many a thread I hasten to add, are I feel unhelpful. I know that there are a few professions over here in Oz that are on a lower wage than the UK, but moving for the "money" isn't a major thing for many. Although it has been mentioned that on "average" salaries are higher, what jobs are these surveys carried out on and statistics based on, (just MHO):rolleyes:

Its great hearing everyones views but its a shame some see it as Oz bashing :nah:

Anyway I'm off for a cuppa and a good natter with my mate lol, no doubt this weeks shopping bargain comparisons in the supermarkets out here will be made without a doubt lol.:biglaugh:

Guest loopylisa

So people are allowed to share their opinions on groceries but Im not allowed to state my opinion that wages are higher. Yeah that sounds fair. So I am bowing out of this conversation. I was actually going to step away from this debate as clearly people dont like what I have to say on the matter but then you wrote this so I feel that obviously I am going to defend myself. IMHO Im allowed to have an opinion that wages are higher, Ive done a fair bit of reading about this and generally this is my opinion. Sure maybe its not your experience but its mine so please be respectful and try to not criticise me for having an opinion.

When I saw the title of this thread, I had to laugh! We have just returned from a visit to the UK, we haven't been there for a good few years so prices etc came as a bit of a surprise....

I got so excited when I saw chocolate bars in packs of four, for less than we'd pay for one here! Beautiful raspberries for £2 a punnet, bananas (the Holy Grail for us here atm!) for 69p a kilo, boxes of tissues for pennies....it might seem sad but I was on holiday and had such fun buying rubbish we hadn't had - or particularly wanted!- for so long.

IMHO, I think this is a pretty good thread to prepare people who are coming over. Prices might seem high by comparison, you know, paying dollars for something that might have cost pennies in the UK and it's probably not a bad thing to have the reassurance from people who live her that, expensive as it might seem initially, it's ok and works out.

And if nothing else, my visit has finally made me understand why people go on about our price of petrol! We paid £85 for a tank full of diesel!!!! Really, OMG!

;) LC