leelee53

Primary Teacher becoming registered Childminder in SA

Hello,

Im thinking about becoming a childminder when we arrive in Oz, and would be interested to find out any info on how I would go about this. Im a Primary teacher of 4yrs, but did not return to work after having my son, just decided to do some supply cover. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful, as Im not too sure how to begin the process. Can I be doing anything now towards it whilst in the UK??

Many thanks,

Lisa ;o)

Guest Nick11

Can't help you on the childminding process...I assume you mean you will minding children in your own home. You will need first aid,child safety training...which you can only do when you are here. The problem will be getting your house approved to childmind....they are very very strict over here. For example the windows in your house will have to be modified and made out of a certain type of glass...you will need to research this. I would start with DECS website..which will point you in the right direction.

I

Guest mlissiman

Hi Lisa - I'm just starting the process of becoming what is known as a Family Day Care provider out here (same as childminder in UK). You have to hold a Cert III in child care services. I've just enrolled on a course that I can study online as I'm currently working full time and need the money coming in and am told it takes a minimum of 6 months to complete the course. I have made an appointment with a Child Care Development Co-ordinator from DECS to come and assess our house (and me!). Drop me a PM if you want so that I can keep you up to date with all the requirements from DECS. Take care, Michelle