sueoc

Cold/Flu.Anyone else got the dreaded lurgy.

Well,i was wondering if anyone else has this bad bug going around besides me.I usually shake these things off after a few days,but this one's a mother!:shocked:10 days in and only a tiny hint of a return to normal!And a Chest infection to boot.Flu jab next year i think!:idea:

Yep, I've just got over it. It's in an absolutely different order of any cold/flu-type thing I've had before - totally knocked me sideways! Went for a run yesterday for the first time in a fortnight and felt like I'd done a half marathon after about ten minutes!

Jim

Guest Guest5035

AHHHHHHH that flu jab works wonders, except the side effects of it.........................my wife started to look pretty!!

stevo

Dunno if you all are aware but apparently it's very very common here to have Vitamin D deficiency, which affects your immune system. If you're getting colds more often that last longer, it's worth getting a blood test to see if you need more sun and/or supplements.

Does the flu jab actually work? Or are there side effects? The OH and I haven't had a single cold/sore throat/virus/bug since we've been here (21 months) and are getting worried that our luck is going to run out soon! The children have only had very minor runny noses and that was last winter!

The flu jab works against flu. It doesn't work against colds, as those are caused by a completely different virus.

Most bugs people complain about are in fact just the common cold. see here for a comparison of cold/flu symptoms http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Flu_influenza?open.

So basically the flu jab won't stop or make your sniffles any less annoying, but it will stop you being bed-ridden for a week with high fever etc.

I had the flu jab this year since it was offered free through work. had a sore arm for a few days.

The flu jab is recommend for people with weak immune systems, or who would be more at risk of serious complications if they caught the flu (elderly, sick etc)

Guest Nick11

4 days in bed!!!! Still feel crap a week later. Body felt like it had been hit by a bus!!!! Not drank alcohol for nearly a fortnight!!! Think it must be a record for me!!!!

Well,i was wondering if anyone else has this bad bug going around besides me.I usually shake these things off after a few days,but this one's a mother!:shocked:10 days in and only a tiny hint of a return to normal!And a Chest infection to boot.Flu jab next year i think!:idea:

Sounds like the cold a lot of people have had this year - always seems to leave people with a cough which they can't shake off for weeks. Have you tried killing the germs with large amounts of alcohol? Always works for me.... I think I started it off in our family, then daughter got it for start of our holiday, and passed it on to my OH and son in time for the end of the holiday! I still have a tickly cough now and it's about two months since I had the rest of the cold.

Hope you feel better soon anyway

4 days in bed!!!! Still feel crap a week later. Body felt like it had been hit by a bus!!!! Not drank alcohol for nearly a fortnight!!! Think it must be a record for me!!!!

I'm sorry Nicola, I cannot bring myself to believe what you've said. Not even a medicinal drop of port? Hmmm????

Anyway, in reply to the OP, yes I have the lurgy as well, in fact I don't think I've really shaken it off for about three weeks now :frown:

Guest Nick11

Not even port hun....felt far too crap and my taste buds and sense of smell went completly!!!!!!

Glad to say that normal service was resumed last night with a bottle of plonk and a trip to the balti house!!!

Guest Guest75

Sorry to hear about the flu.

If it is hanging on try Echinacea,it's just a herb you can get from most pharmacies but with some people it really shifts the bug.

Mrs Tyke was terribly ill for weeks,Echinacea did the trick.