Guest guest7008

CONTRACT MOBILE PHONES - do they work in Oz??

Guest guest7008

Hi, prob a silly question - but I have a mobile phone on contract to 02 - will I still be able to use the mobile and the contract stuff over in Adelaide?? Don't wanna be paying a monthly contract if it won't work over there -I know the mobile will work but will i be able to still text/call using my monthly plan?? Many thanks all for what is prob a daft question :confused:

It will work but will cost you more as unless i am mistaken your fone will be routed thru an australia carrier...even tho your fone is calling someone in the UK it will cost you more..it may have changed but thats what i think eill happen.

How long do you have on your current contract.

HG

Guest guest7008

Thanks for that - got another 18 months and will cost a small fortune to get myself out of it!! Not sure what to do - coming over Feb time so will have another year on it - was thinking to tell them I was going on hols to Oz and try get better calling/texting rates for a while!!

Guest Cadas

It will but the cost will be very high. If it's a smartphone with any sort of data it will be horrific...800gbp for me using company phone over two weeks. (I wasn't paying luckily). Remember, international calls and text are usually outside of your contract calls and text allowance.

If u have a contract phone I'm assuming it's locked hence why may not be possible to just get local sim which would be a lot lot cheaper.

There is absolutely no point in trying to use your UK contract over here for another 12 months. Unless you rarely (and I mean VERY RARELY) use your phone, the costs will be astronomical!!!!

Phone O2, and tell them to drop your contract to the lowest tariff you possibly can, and then once that's done, ask them to cancel it. It will save you a bit of money. ie If you're currently paying £30 a month and you have 10 months left, that's £300 to cancel, but if you can drop it to their £15 a month tariff, that's a £150 saving.

Guest Cadas

One thing to check, when I lived in France and until recently in Spain, when you are on a contract, if you leave the country permanently, you are legally entitled to cancel a contract. You may have to hand the phone back. I walked away from vodafone twice doing this. You simply inform them you are leaving, pay the contract to the leaving date plus call charges and that's it.

I don't know if this a europe 'rule' maybe It also applies in the UK. May need to read your fine print.

Guest loopylisa

Hi

I am in exactly the same position as you. I took out a contract for a BB Bold 9700 on Orange in November last year( an 18 month contract). The only option is to buy out your contract, it will cost u silly money trying to use in oz as other people have said. When I went over on hols I used an aussie sim as my phone was unlocked and this was no problem, except that as I was using a BB it meant I could not get all the features that come with the BB, like email, fbook apps etc because it was a pay as you go tariff. So depending as your phone you may be able to keep it and get an aussie pay as you go SIM. But as you said its going to cost you a small fortune to buy it out, so do try and drop your tariff if you can. Orange would only drop my tariff from 30 to 20 after alot of complaining ie going to customer services and stressing I had been a customer for 10 years and I did not find not being able to drop my tariff acceptable. This was a saving and then Im going to sell my handset on ebay to offset the costs. I dont see any other options. Pay as you go for me now

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Same situation here. Wife signed a 2 year contract on a HTC Desire, 12mths ago - when coming to Oz was just "something we talked about...."

T-Mobile would only unlock her mobile to different SIMs if she paid of the rest of her contract (£200!)

No way round it. It's cr@p, but hey - it's a contract.

Heres what I did with O2. It worked but its doggy. I had 2 x O2 iphone contracts. I'd been with O2 for years and years and years. When I renewed the contracts Australia was not on my radar and so another 18 month contract was fine. 6 Months in and my wife was offered a job over here. Negotiations to drop the contract level with O2 failed and they wanted full outstanding contract settlement for both contracts. No way was I going to do that. A week before coming over here I had the phones unlocked through iphoneunlock.com and after repeatedly calling O2 to drop their offer I then told them to stick it, I was off to Aus and they could chance me if they really thought it worth while. The unlocking company told me the phone would work fine but may not work if I returned to the UK. O2 tried chasing me for 4 months but my mail was redirected to my sister who returned to sender to O2. The phones have been back to the UK and other countries worldwide over the last year and work as per normal phone.

As I mentioned its a bit doggy and I was more than willing to settle with O2 but not at the ridiculous price they wanted. Maybe if I returned to the Uk to live I'd have problems getting a new phone but I live here so thats not an issue. The phone works worldwide and I didn't have to pay the £ 1600 O2 wanted.

You should have got O2 to unlock your iPhones before you mentioned leaving them as they do it for free.

Out of interest, have you updated your iPhones software through iTunes since having them unlocked?

No. I could do all the updates via the unlocking company but I firmly stick to 'let sleeping dogs lie' when it comes to electronics. The unlock fee of around £50 covers all future updates.

I wouldn't update the software just incase as I know of a few people that after updating, the phone has been locked again. As it loads complete new software on.