Car seats again!!

Guest Viksta

Guest Viksta

hi everyone I know there is a big thread on here somewhere in detail about car seats and i know english ones are not legal, however i have a quick question! We have been granted our PR visa and are coming over in a couple of weeks to validate our visa, it is only for a holiday though and i'm wondering if our babies car seat would be ok as we are only there for a holiday, or is it totally not because we are in theory PR residents?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

hi everyone I know there is a big thread on here somewhere in detail about car seats and i know english ones are not legal, however i have a quick question! We have been granted our PR visa and are coming over in a couple of weeks to validate our visa, it is only for a holiday though and i'm wondering if our babies car seat would be ok as we are only there for a holiday, or is it totally not because we are in theory PR residents?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Are you hiring a car? If so check with the hirecar company as to their policy. It might affect the insurance they have you take out, they may say its ok and within the law to use one for a holiday even though on a PR. I don't know the definate answer as no one else seems to know. My understanding is that you need to use an Aussie standards car seat. I shall ask one person over on FB who runs a car seat/baby stuff store and see if they can shed anymore light on this one and get back to you.

You can hire car seats with cars so it shouldn't be a major issue to use an Aussie passed one.

Hi,

Why are one from the Uk not allowed, Not really sure what English ones are, we are up in Glasgow ha ha

Jason

The Oz child seats have a strap that goes over the back of the seat(between head rests) and clips into a point at the bottom of the seat.

This stops the weight of the seat moving forward in a crash and crushing the child against the seat belt.

Does this make sense?

Rob and Mel.

Also if using it on the flight check with the airline(s) you are flying with their car seat sizings etc and ensure you have informed them in advance of using the car seat so they can assign seats etc (be aware if you use one on a flight you often gets seats at the rear that don't recline.

I've asked someone over in Adelaide with car seat industry knowledge if he knows anything but it might be a few days till I hear back as he's a busy guy.

Hi,

Why are one from the Uk not allowed, Not really sure what English ones are, we are up in Glasgow ha ha

Jason

Again :)http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/24721-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

If you have a child in a car seat, please have a read of this thread. I put time and effort into compiling it for parents and hope it is useful. All the answers are there somewhere. It can only be so if people read it though :cute:

Guest Viksta
Are you hiring a car? If so check with the hirecar company as to their policy. It might affect the insurance they have you take out, they may say its ok and within the law to use one for a holiday even though on a PR. I don't know the definate answer as no one else seems to know. My understanding is that you need to use an Aussie standards car seat. I shall ask one person over on FB who runs a car seat/baby stuff store and see if they can shed anymore light on this one and get back to you.

You can hire car seats with cars so it shouldn't be a major issue to use an Aussie passed one.

Thanks for this, i think it will be easier if we just hire one with the car, we will need one for the toddler anyway!

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Thanks for this, i think it will be easier if we just hire one with the car, we will need one for the toddler anyway!

We just hired a car with 2 x child seats for $5 per day extra - they don't seem as robust as the UK ones!

Guest Viksta
We just hired a car with 2 x child seats for $5 per day extra - they don't seem as robust as the UK ones!

Thanks for this, out of interest was it from the aiport and did you have to book the car seats in advance?

Thanks

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Thanks for this, out of interest was it from the aiport and did you have to book the car seats in advance?

Thanks

To be honest we were complete cowboys (just didn't plan ahead enough) and got a taxi from the airport without car seats - we strapped our 5 year old in and held our 2 year old on our lap.

We're usually very stringent on safety etc but just dropped the ball on that one!

In answer to your question - I would recommend going onto http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com (think that's it) and booking with Avis. You'll get it miles cheaper. Once you've booked your car you can ring Avis direct and add car seats - they will ask what age your children are. Your car will then come with them fitted. You deffo want to take GPS too!

That's how we did it (eventually!) - I know for a fact Avis keep cars at the airport.

It is much cheaper to use that site - and it doesn't stop you dealing with Avis directly afterwards.

So say if we went to oz and just used our blighty car seats would we be breaking the law? Is it a necessity to have ozzy kiddy seats?

Yes you would be breaking the law.

I wrote a really in depth bit on car seat laws in Australia (SA) with loads of info, links and more. Have a read :)

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/24721-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

We have got these seats in the UK which have a top tether. I assume they will be legal in Australia. They can be secured by Isofix or seat belts.

http://www.samueljohnston.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81

Assume nothing where car seats are concerned :cute:

Only Australian tested and approved are legal in Australia. They need to have the sticker showing this. Jane don't sell their car seats in Australia that I know of, so I can't imagine they have been approved. Imported untested car seats are illegal.

Also looking at your car seat the top tether can only be used with the Isofix option of fitting and Isofix is not yet legal in Australia. That is still a few years off from being in the standards, its still only in the pipeline stage.

Top tether fittings in Aussie cars tend to be built into the car either in the boot or the rear seat. Very few UK cars have top tether points installed factory fitted.

Have a read of this thread as it does cover pretty much everything to do with car seats in Australia (SA)

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/24721-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

Guest Viksta
To be honest we were complete cowboys (just didn't plan ahead enough) and got a taxi from the airport without car seats - we strapped our 5 year old in and held our 2 year old on our lap.

We're usually very stringent on safety etc but just dropped the ball on that one!

In answer to your question - I would recommend going onto www.vroomvroomvroom.com (think that's it) and booking with Avis. You'll get it miles cheaper. Once you've booked your car you can ring Avis direct and add car seats - they will ask what age your children are. Your car will then come with them fitted. You deffo want to take GPS too!

That's how we did it (eventually!) - I know for a fact Avis keep cars at the airport.

It is much cheaper to use that site - and it doesn't stop you dealing with Avis directly afterwards.

Thanks for this, I will have a look into it, we are in Brisbane for a week first so will get my BIL to give us a hand, but will def check this link out!