Can you take kids out of school term time (not allowed in uk)

Guest beth

Just wondering what the deal is on this as in the uk we are fined....

Thanks, oh and also i keep hearing the phrase kids can be kids longer in oz, what does this mean to you? thanks

no probs at all taking the kids out of school in term time. they are very easy going about it, a boy in my sons class is just off touring australia for the next 8 weeks, so 6 weeks off school, no dramas.

think its a bit different when they get to high school level, work is more intense so you wouldn't want them to miss so much then, but a few days, a week here and there, no problem.

Yes this is true. Most schools just require a letter to the principal. Even at high school level, it is seen as a worthwhile educational family experience and it is recognised that parents can't always take holidays during school holidays. Most primary school teachers would suggest the child keeps a journal of their travels if prolonged.

My kids are a bit older now, but on the "kids being kids longer" thing, I wonder if it's because they do that extra year at primary school so aren't expected to be "mature high school students" till they're about 13 or so? Certainly I've picked my daughter up from friend's 18th birthday parties, expecting to have to search the corners of a dark room (well, it's the sort of party I went to at that age...but don't tell my daughter...!!!) and instead found all the kids out in the back garden, bouncing on a trampoline, or sitting up a tree chatting instead! Can't vouch for all teenagers being the same though, obviously as everyone is different, and it could just mean mine are wierd!

There doesn't seem to be quite the same sort of media pressure on kids to "grow up" too quickly either - most role models seem to be sports people: they are certainly the ones that the papers are full of, rather than your Amy Winehouse types. Couple of sports people that are featured in the media are maybe not so squeaky clean though...