jodipodi

Reccie spending money??

Hi everyone, me and the family are coming to Adelaide for a month in April next year but I'm not quite sure of how much spending money we'll need to bring?? There are 5 of us altogether when we arrive - Me, Hubs, 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 3 months..... We will be renting a house so will be mainly self catering but dont want to have to 'watch our pennies' all the time either iykwim? So, anyone have any roundabout figures what we would need for spending money, including our food, days out, ice creams when the kids whine on for them, meals out etc etc? I know this will vary person to person but any ideas would be great. Thanks people xx

TBH I'd make a list of your known expenses. Things like hire car, fuel, food (take you'll do an average weekly shop with a few meals out etc), spending money and so on. For the food shop have a look online at the supermarket prices in Adelaide/Aus to get an idea nearer the time you leave.

Have a list of places you'd like to visit for either trips out or to reccie. Then check the websites for the trips out, see their admission costs etc and work out all that before you leave. Then you can just add however much on top for ice creams, food etc.

We were over for almost month last year and stayed with family. We bought our own food mostly, fuel in the car, trips out etc and for 3 of us (2 adults, one child) we spent around $1000, probably a bit more. We were there for a wedding also and there were a fair few trips out with family and so on. We went to Victor Harbor for a few days, cinema, couple of nature parks, Adelaide hills and Mount Lofty, trips to beaches, Glenelg, into the city, Central market, Tusmore park for a family day out and BBQ and loads more smaller things like fairs and stuff.

We did loads of packed lunches but also had meals out, lunchtime and evening. Plus we had hen and stag nights (the Aussie equivalent) to go on :wideeyed::smile:

It costs nothing to visit the beach or botanical gardens. And a day out in the city to wander the shops, get a feel for it etc. Foodhalls offer plenty of choices if you want to eat out for lunch. Loved Tusmore Park for a day out with a picnic and so on (has a great big paddling pool for kids, play area etc). Adelaide has plenty of parks like this where you can easily spend time with kids at no real expense. Research them and plan a couple of days out to one or two to get a feel for them. They have varying facilities but are usually really family based.

We could have probably spent less, but we wanted to just enjoy ourselves and not watch the pennies too much. It was a big holiday for us and our son's first visit to Aus, so wanted him to see a koala and feed a kangaroo and all that :cute:

Thanks alot that's great advice. To be honest I never thought about going on websites to price our trips out, makes sense really! We were thinking around the £2000-2500 mark so with the exchange rate thats probably looking like more than enough for us to have a great holiday. Any other good ideas for places to take the kids/things to see and do would be really appreciated too! We know we want to visist the waterpark and the wildlife park(cleland I think?) and maybe the zoo..., also read theres a great kids playpark or a fort?? xx

I think Snifter has said all the things I was going to say!........Our girls were 10 & 7 when we arrived and their favourite day out by far was a day boogie boarding at the beach....and its free!

Good thing about our beaches is that there isnt loads of shops enticing you to buy buckets and spades and stuff that you'll end up car-booting in a couple of years!

Just need to take your sun cream, towel and an esky (icebag) with drinks and nibbles !

There are always lots of free things going on down here... also, Warrawong Wildlife park is free entry and its a good place to go to feed the kangaroos - have a nice cafe there too.

http://www.adelaidezoo.com.au/warrawong

Sarahx

Does anything actually live at the Warrawong Conservation Park? I've been there twice and apart from seeing some turtles in the murky water and loads of ants, it was completely barren of wildlife. Even for free I felt robbed! Clelland Park just down the road is very good esp if you want to see / feed roos

Does anything actually live at the Warrawong Conservation Park? I've been there twice and apart from seeing some turtles in the murky water and loads of ants, it was completely barren of wildlife. Even for free I felt robbed! Clelland Park just down the road is very good esp if you want to see / feed roos

We saw koalas (at the end of the circuit) up trees, the turtles you mention, kangaroos (and fed them), various birds and also lots of skinks and a couple of other things. I just enjoyed the walk through past all the ponds/lakes anyways. It was a nice way to spend an a couple of hours without being someplace we might have gotten lost in. As somewhere to stop on the way back from Mount Lofty it was great.