Stamp Duty on private used car sales?? And rego...

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all

I know that dealers have to add stamp duty to used cars (part of the "on the road" price) but if I were to buy a car privately - does stamp duty need to be paid? Is it somehow added when you transfer the rego?

Also - is there anything I need to transfer rego into my name? I don't have an Aussie license just yet - can I get onto the system?

Thanks

Ryan

Guest MattDC

Ryan - If you buy a car privately, Stamp Duty WILL NOT apply.

To rego a car in your name you need a "client Number" from Service SA. The simplest way to do this is get your SA drivers license and your license number automatically becomes your "client number". Alternatively you can go to any Service SA centre and apply for a client number. You will need ID for both of these routes i.e. passport, proof of current address (utilities bill, house rental agreement) Medicare card if you have one, the more the merrier.

You can find your nearest Service centre by going to www.sa.gov.au scan down the page and click on "Customer Service Centres"

Matt

Guest Ryan T. Lion

To rego a car in your name you need a "client Number" from Service SA. The simplest way to do this is get your SA drivers license and your license number automatically becomes your "client number". Alternatively you can go to any Service SA centre and apply for a client number. You will need ID for both of these routes i.e. passport, proof of current address (utilities bill, house rental agreement) Medicare card if you have one, the more the merrier.

You can find your nearest Service centre by going to www.sa.gov.au scan down the page and click on "Customer Service Centres"

Matt

Cheers Matt

Just what I wanted to know

Ry.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
How did the Gvmt know how much you'd paid for it?[/quote

We wrote on the form what we paid for it. It only cost $5 minimum stamp duty.

Ah, right - that's not too bad. You could fib then, I suppose?

I was looking at a 4x4 at a dealer for $7100 and the stamp duty was $224. I was just wondering whether the same would be payable on a private sale - "yes and no" would seem to be the answer?

;-)

Guest The Dimmocks

Ah, right - that's not too bad. You could fib then, I suppose?

I was looking at a 4x4 at a dealer for $7100 and the stamp duty was $224. I was just wondering whether the same would be payable on a private sale - "yes and no" would seem to be the answer?

;-)

If it was a private sale then suppose you could fib, for us though $5 wasnt really worth fibbing about LOL.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Can I ask what you paid for the trailer ? I was told up to a certain amount, the stamp duty is only $60, after that it's $60 + 4% (or something....)

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Cool - thanks. So if you just buy privately, from say yer buddy down the street - you have to state how much you bought the vehicle for when you transfer the rego?

So you're looking at about $500 to put a car on the road then, assuming it's got no rego at all.

Guest Adelaide_bound

OK, I have come against a MASSIVE headache in this now - as we are travelling around we are trying to find out rego etc costs in each state to see which is best to register it in - you can only find out the fees in SA if you have the intimate details of one specific car etc and know all the little ways they word things in Australia (which I do not understand and cannot work out). I am quite cross now as I am not a mechanic and have *no* idea how many axles of what type a standard campervan has. Grrrr.

I can't find out how much rego is, how much 3rd party insurance is, or if this is just included in rego in SA(as it doesn't appear to be in WA for eg), how much the transfer fee is as they don't have these things in a table anywhere that I can find on the SA website, just something to calculate your specific vehicle (for which you need all the silly details for as above). All I know is the stamp duty (which looks like it might be very little if its self declared lol).

Can anyone assist with Rego, insurance, transfer etc costs in SA at all please? We are looking for costs for a campervan of about 2500kg unladen weight, so if anyone has a camper and could advise, that would be grand :D

Guest Adelaide_bound
Cool - thanks. So if you just buy privately, from say yer buddy down the street - you have to state how much you bought the vehicle for when you transfer the rego?

So you're looking at about $500 to put a car on the road then, assuming it's got no rego at all.

Don't know how much the transfer fee is - I can't seem to find this anywhere (see my very frustrated post above lol).

Guest Mitchell
I gather from reading this thread that you need an Ozzie license to register a car. If so, how do we change our UK ones to Ozzie ones? We are coming over this week on a 457visa and need to buy 2 cars pretty quickly.

Thanks

Paul & Sarah

Hiya

You don't need an SA license to register a car. However if you're not in the system the garage can't do it for you. They deduct this cost and you do it yourself at your nearest Service SA branch. You don't need a license on your temp visa either. But having one will help with the 100 point identity check you have to do for renting and stuff. I got my SA license and registered my car at Service SA in my lunch hour. You just turn up, fill in the forms, show your UK license and pay. Simples!

Are you sure that's true? Have the rules changed recently? I know when OH bought his motorbike (privately) he had to pay stamp duty on the purchase price - and when you buy a car privately the seller should fill in the purchase price on the rego document, which you then send off to the licensing people - so if you were going to bend the truth in any way you would have to persuade the seller to be in on the act.

Not sure if it would be worth risking getting caught lying, especially when you've just arrived....

Probably best to check with an official source.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Are you sure that's true? Have the rules changed recently? I know when OH bought his motorbike (privately) he had to pay stamp duty on the purchase price - and when you buy a car privately the seller should fill in the purchase price on the rego document, which you then send off to the licensing people - so if you were going to bend the truth in any way you would have to persuade the seller to be in on the act.

Not sure if it would be worth risking getting caught lying, especially when you've just arrived....

Probably best to check with an official source.

Yep - I've since checked and you do pay stamp duty on private sales. To fib, you would need the seller to fib too as you quite rightly say.

I wasn't suggesting people lie - I just wasn't aware that the purchase price was part of the rego transfer process. Surely pals etc must lie to help each other out?

Also - what happens with trades/swaps? You see a lot of rev heads doing that on Gumtree.

On a $7k - $8k used car the stamp duty comes to about $225 - $250. Not worth fibbing for IMHO!

So under $10k, for a car with no rego you're looking at about $500 to put it on the road, it's just a good figure to bear in mind.

Guest MattDC
Can I ask what you paid for the trailer ? I was told up to a certain amount, the stamp duty is only $60, after that it's $60 + 4% (or something....)

Ryan - I have to eat my words. You will pay Stamp Duty at 4% to register the vehicle in your name, Private sale or not. The rest about the rego client number is 100% accurate..........sorry

Guest MattDC

Ryan - I need to eat my words, sorry. It seems that you will pay Stamp Duty on a Private sale at 4%. Since being here (13 months) I have bought a car from a dealer, and paid Stamp Duty, and bought 2 trailers privately, and not paid Stamp Duty on them!!, so I assumed Private sales didn't attract Stamp Duty. The info I gave you about the client number is 100%

Matt

Matt,

Yes you do pay stamp duty on private sale, I just bought car and they charge you on the value of what you paid for it, eg I paid 14K for mine and when transfering Rego they charged around the 500 mark for stamp duty when you transfer, plus they charge an admin fee of around 22 for transfering. When you pay the seller for vehicle they sign and date the reg document and fill out how much you have paid for the vehicle so although you dont pay the seller anything extra when transfering the Rego you pay then, but you DO PAY STAMP DUTY.

Julie

Guest Guest5035

just be careful when telling porkies on the"agreement" you and the seller came to on the purchase price. If you underdo the purchase price and its way below "book" price you get stung 200% more on the actual "book" price in added stamp duty.

stevo

^^ What Stevo said. DTEI will check if something is grotesquely underpriced without good reason and there's a good chance of being fined if they think you're trying to do them out of a few dollars in revenue. SA, as well as being the Festival State is also the Fees and Charges State.