Guest Roger

Darn good curry ?

Guest Roger

Hi All,

Well... finally made the relocation from Sydney to Adelaide. I've been here a couple of months now.

My partner and I love a GOOD curry. In fact, the last one I had was during a visit to the "Curry Mile" in Manchester, UK a few years ago. I would be very grateful for some ideas on exceptional Indian restaurants in Adelaide. Somewhere that cooks their food fresh (not the day before), nice and spicy as an Indian meal should be. Excellence is of utmost importance.

Kind regards,

Roger.

Guest guest3462

There are a few knocking about. Jasmine in the city is very good but you pay for the quality (around $100 a head no drinks!!!) we like the balti house on goodwood road, the owner is an English Indian who cooks English style curries and we highly re ommend him and lastly only recently started is Aldinga bay deli. The curries here are cheap but great!

Enjoy!!

Use the search function and look for 'Indian, curry' and you'll find plenty on the topic

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/search.php

I checked and there are over 20 thread returns on the subject been posted on the forum :)

Hope somewhere in there you'll find something to help you.

FWIW in my experience in Adelaide (and Aus in general I guess) their version of Indian, Chinese and so on is different to our version/idea of it. But that is the same anywhere. Go to the US, Chinese take out is a whole new world. Go to The Netherlands Thai food is different to here. Each country adapts a style of cooking to their own tastes. [url=http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/search.php?searchid=34074][/url]

I went here over easter http://www.aryas.com.au/ had a nice time. Its in north adelaide
    I agree,went there in Feb this year with some friends who live in Adelaide.Really enjoyed.Also remember that the waitress memorised everyones three courses and drinks. Well it impressed me

Guest nickcoumbe

Looking forward to trying all those out.

I have high hopes for the Thai and Chinese food in Oz as well.

Guest guest3462

lol, don't get up your hopes for the chinese!!! Not rated in our house!

lol, don't get up your hopes for the chinese!!! Not rated in our house!

The only place I've found in Adelaide with decent chinese is House of Chow in the city. Like Jasmine, you pay for the priviledge.

A darn good curry is open to your own tastes. I went to jasmine's once and thought it was ok, went again and thought it was just meat in bisto, really tasteless, tried various places snake charmer, chefs of tandor, harvest of India, charminar, and spice kitchen, and again I thought they were all pretty bland. I started to go to the balti on goodwood road, and thought it was great, but recently I've been disappointed there to. I currently like Mr India in Reynella and Zaika in Morphett Vale. Would I recommend them, no, I'm not sure whether my taste has changed in 6 years or maybe these places are genuinely good.

Maybe go to the ones that people recommend and you'll soon find your favorites....

We used to like the Raj on Taj in unley, they did a fantastic butter chicken, but the last couple of times it hasn't been so good, so we're on the lookout for a new indian.

Guest The Hadleys
    We used to like the Raj on Taj in unley, they did a fantastic butter chicken, but the last couple of times it hasn't been so good, so we're on the lookout for a new indian.

HI

Try the Balti House on Goodwood Road, absolutely fabulous. I have just recently been back to the UK for the first time since being in Australia, couldn't wait to have an Indian and I found the Balti House to be much tastier.

Dawn

For all your Real Estate needs - call me on 0425 381 964

Elders Real Estate - Aberfoyle\Flagstaff

Guest guest3462

All this talk of curry and I could just eat one now.....hurry on the weekend then I might treat us to one!

Looking forward to trying all those out.

I have high hopes for the Thai and Chinese food in Oz as well.

Every single person we've had come stay with us from Adelaide recently (and there have been a few) we've had a take out from our local Chinese. And all our guest say its the best Chinese they've eaten. Am much amused they had to travel to the UK to get a decent Chinese :cute:

Must admit, it is a really good Chinese, people do travel a ways to eat there and its reputation is excellent.

Every single person we've had come stay with us from Adelaide recently (and there have been a few) we've had a take out from our local Chinese. And all our guest say its the best Chinese they've eaten. Am much amused they had to travel to the UK to get a decent Chinese :cute:

Must admit, it is a really good Chinese, people do travel a ways to eat there and its reputation is excellent.

Yeah, must say I think I've been spoilt for life by the local chinese take-away my parents use (in the UK).

Haven’t found a GREAT curry yet but all the ones i have tried have been good so far (however none in the style of Bangladeshi/north Indian ones we get in the Uk), Chinese however have been great much better in my opinion than the GLOOP served up in the restaurants back in the UK.

All this talk of curry and I could just eat one now.....hurry on the weekend then I might treat us to one!

Have you tries The Aldinga Bay Cafe...they do some cracking curries we have had a few from there very very good...the chef used to work in the Hyatt in the city...

HG

For chinese we like The Princes Room on Lower North East Road (or might be Payneham Road - not sure where it changes) - they also do crispy duck and pancakes (but without spring onion so we get takeaway and supply our own!)

for the best onion bahjis try the indian in colonnades, dont know what the currys like but the bahjis are the best ive had here :0) and the new indian on beach road, christies is worth a visit..

Im hungry now, is it too early for curry lol

Jo