Importing food items

apart8

Guest Adelaide_bound

yeah in your suitcase or hand luggage, doesn't matter, as above, just remember to declare it on the form given out on the plane, or you will get a $220 fine!

Guest loopylisa

Hi

This site makes it really clear http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

It also outlines what foodstuffs you can take and the ones you've mention should be fine. Many other foodstuffs are prohibited or restricted subject to import permits.

Also it is a customs/quarantine not an immigration issue so its not really their department

my handluggage coming back last time was like a small shop, just as well it wasn't weighed :biglaugh: I came through Sydney and when they saw I had ticked the food box they asked me why. When i listed what I had they didn't even want to look at it and waved me through. I had chocolate, biscuits, sweets, tea etc etc. However I entered Aus through Sydney at 6am a busy time in Sydney with many international flights landing. In Adelaide they always seem to want to have a look but not always.

We brought in sweets, chocolates and some crisps - declared on the forum and told the customs officers at Adelaide that's what we had (used the word "lollies" rather than sweets to show we were locals!) and they just let their lovely beagle have a little sniff all round our cases, but didn't ask us to open them. Dunno how they train a dog to sniff for drugs and meat and not get excited at the smell of chocolate - I don't think our border collie would pass the entrance exams!

We brought in sweets, chocolates and some crisps - declared on the forum and told the customs officers at Adelaide that's what we had (used the word "lollies" rather than sweets to show we were locals!) and they just let their lovely beagle have a little sniff all round our cases, but didn't ask us to open them. Dunno how they train a dog to sniff for drugs and meat and not get excited at the smell of chocolate - I don't think our border collie would pass the entrance exams!

LOL Whoops I meant of course, declared on the form - don't think saying "but officer, I told everyone on PIA what I was bringing" would stand up in court!!!

As you were..... :wink: