Misplaced

Tents

Hi All - Not been on for a bit as we have just returned from our Summer Hols in France and the weather was fab average of 29 degrees and sunny most days - just like the UK!!

Anyway the point of the post is to ask does anyone know if tents sold in the UK are suitable for the Aussie climate? We are just wondering wether the material used in the tents sold in the UK will be to warm for the Aussie sunshine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update as well on our situation - wife has just to sort out a few things to get signed and I have to put together a letter to say how I will support her in Oz and then her Visa App can go in. We still need to sort out the house but that shouldnt be too difficult (I hope).

I bought a big family tent in the UK just prior to moving over here - it was a good deal. In hindsight I think it may have been better to buy over here. There is a huge range of tents available here but my main observation would be that many are the old canvas type. I took mine to the Flinders Ranges when it was coldish and very heavy rain so it worked as it was like the UK climate. I when I bought mine I made sure the inner tent was cotton and there were loads of vents and bug screens but I fear it will be very hot inside it come summer - I think the heavy canvas type stay much cooler. Also, many of the interesting camping areas are bush camping and so my 5 room tent is way too big.

Had I not bought a new tent in the UK I would now buy a small cheap dome tent for cycling trips and a camper trailer for family stuff. The camper trailers seem particularly Australian and I'd not seen then anywhereelse.

Hope this helps.

Many australian dome tents are not built to withstand much rain or wind. I brought my well ventilated British dome tent over, and have been very glad that I did, as it's been fine in cold, wet windy conditions as well as the heat of summer. I can't say as much about the australian dome tents that I've borrowed at times or seen other people use.

Bear in mind that you'll be out and about during the day, so they just have to be cool enough at night.

Can't comment on the larger family size tents since haven't used one of those since I was 5.

Guest tinkham_lee

I brought a Vango 5 man dome tent over with me and its great in all weather, gets a little warm in the summer but after half an hour of having the doors open and a breeze going through it soon cools down. Got some strange looks from aussie friends when I put up the outside of the tent before the inner tent.

As said earlier, make sure it has plenty of vents, doors have bug screens and a built in groundsheet in the sleeping area. Also try to get one with an international warranty.

I highly recommend Vangos, they are slightly more expensive but very well built and come with an international lifetime warranty.

Thanks all for the responses - very helpful. We have a Sunncamp 360 plus 6 man and have only used it about 3 times ( bought a caravan a yaer after getting the tent - don't ask!!) Anyway, i think we have decided to take the tent and see how we get on with it - can i ask RockDr/tinkham_lee did the tents get through customs OK? How well did you clean them and what with?

Guest guest3462

I packed my tent and got t through ok. In fact we didn't do a very good job at cleaning it and it still had a bit of Glastonbury mud on the inside!!! Customs never said anything! :)

I've never had any issues with customs with any of my outdoor gear. I generally just use water to clean things. As long as you've got the mud off, you're fine. And most mud comes off if you wipe with a wet cloth.

Guest tinkham_lee

I washed the mud off the groundsheet's, although they were stained, and cleaned the pegs with jayes fluid, had no problems at all with customs