Guest Jane & Tony

Working with the Aussies?

Guest Jane & Tony

Hello All,

My OH was wondering what the 'Aussies' were like to work with/for on the building sites. Are they welcoming? or are they a bit resentful of us Pommes being there?

I'd like to give him some good news!!

Cheers

Jane xx

Guest johnosmad
    Hello All,

My OH was wondering what the 'Aussies' were like to work with/for on the building sites. Are they welcoming? or are they a bit resentful of us Pommes being there?

Cheers

Jane xx

Not sure about building sites but I have had 2 x 6 month contracts in different jobs and also done a few other short jobs such as removals and I have never had any problems with anyone at all in any jobs, also my girlfriends brother worked on sites in most cities when he was travelling and he had no problems! I'm in Brissy at the moment and moving down to Adelaide but I guess it will be the same.

Cheers

Johno

Guest Kiki

My hubby is a plumber and he say he hasnt had any problems at all working with Aussies. I do get the feeling though that if there was an option to hire an Aussie over a Pom they would hire the Aussie. Saying that he has only had 2 jobs since he has been here so he has faired quite well.

All the best and good luck !

Guest johnosmad

No Problems!

I noticed you are heading over in October, that's when we are going as well!! Where and when are you flying?

Guest Jane & Tony
    No Problems!

I noticed you are heading over in October, that's when we are going as well!! Where and when are you flying?

We hopefully fly on the 18th from Heathrow London. We go with malasia air as they seem to be the cheapest.

what kind of work does your hubby do?

i'm a painter and found no difficulty in getting work, 99% of the ausssies i worked with made me feel welcome on site and it's pretty much the same banter and piss taking that he'd be used to on sites in the UK.

Guest Jane & Tony
    what kind of work does your hubby do?

i'm a painter and found no difficulty in getting work, 99% of the ausssies i worked with made me feel welcome on site and it's pretty much the same banter and piss taking that he'd be used to on sites in the UK.

Hi, Tony is a carpenter/joiner but can do plastering/rendering and roofing. Cheers for the update.

Hello All,

Cheers

Jane xx

In over 3 years of working on construction sites had no problems with the ozzies, the only people with attitudes have been poms im afraid!

Guest nic lavidan

There are tens of thousands of Aussies working in London, when I lived there in 2005 as a temp, the office was always full of them, so I think we can safely say we have a trade off and your husband should not really be on the receiving end of any unfriendlyness I don't think. I think we seem to get on OK Brits & Aussies in the main so I think on the whole he should be OK. Aussies know Brits are hard workers as well so that helps.