Guest bobby50

SAPOL - Whats it like?

Guest bobby50

Heard a few mixed reviews, what has your experience been both at work and as a family moving there and working for sapol?

Straight and honest replies would be great

Thanks!

Bobby50 are you coming out in the new batch?

If your coming for the job then maybe have a back up plan, lots of red tape and certainly same same but different.

Out of the numbers who have been employed more than a third have left...

Some of us have stayed, some of us like it and some of us don't, if you have decided to leave the UK then just make sure you are not coming he for the job.

The academy is terrible....

Guest bobby50

Can you expand on that post with more detail please? Also what have others gone on to do? Or are others back in the uk? More detail be great, thanks!

1973 Policing "Life on Mars" can describe SAPOL's Policing. But it's a great opportunity to emigrate to Australia, with SAPOL, for the way of life and not so much the job.

Guest MrsHills

I take it you have read/been reading

http://www.police-forum.com

it has loads on info, views of all who are here and some who have gone/where they have gone and often the reasons why. We came with the first lot in 2005 and have loved it ever since.

1973 Policing "Life on Mars" can describe SAPOL's Policing. But it's a great opportunity to emigrate to Australia, with SAPOL, for the way of life and not so much the job.

HA HA that comment has made me laugh, I used to work in HR in the UK and I describe some of the HR 'policies' and practices I have witnessed in Adelaide as similar to Life on Mars.

Guest Guest5035

Adelaide is "Life on Mars" then Adelaide wonders why its known as the backwater of Australia!!

stevo

Guest bobby50

mmm ok, life on mars - gene hunt?! Just pm me with more detail as still very vague and yes been on the forum but same posters..

Guest bobby50
    You get a gun. Nuff said.

what is that supposed to mean?

all i see cops do here is sit in cars with speed guns or stand in the road pulling people into a booze bus.

i drove in the uk for 20 years with no speeding fines and zero claims and my first year here i get done twice for speeding.

i tried to join the police when i first came here for a change but they wouldn't accept me they said it was due to "integrity issues" maybe i was to honest on my application form, never been in trouble with the law.

Guest Guest5035
    If you PM me what you want to know my hubby will see it and might be able to help :) he didn't come over as a cop but is one now :)

OMG, what ever i said in the past please forget officer!!

Stevo

Guest Guest5035
    all i see cops do here is sit in cars with speed guns or stand in the road pulling people into a booze bus.

i drove in the uk for 20 years with no speeding fines and zero claims and my first year here i get done twice for speeding.

Well don't speed then and the cops can do what they are paid to do.

Stevo

Guest mark&rachel
    Well don't speed then and the cops can do what they are paid to do.

Stevo

SOOOOO True Stevo

Yes just like what they do in the UK, soon call when the sh.t hits the fan..

Too true and if a little kids gets killed by a drunken speeding idoit it will be why did the police not pull him over?? cant win

Guest mark&rachel
    Too true and if a little kids gets killed by a drunken speeding idoit it will be why did the police not pull him over?? cant win

Again sooo true

Heard a few mixed reviews, what has your experience been both at work and as a family moving there and working for sapol?

Straight and honest replies would be great

Thanks!

I joined SAPOL in 1968 as a 17 year old (almost 18) from school at Whyalla. I had no previous police experience in the UK, came here with my family in 1965. I retired from SAPOL as a Senior Sergeant after 40 years sworn. I'm not fussed about discipline being retired but then I wasn't that fussed about being forthright when I was in the job and that probably cost me career-wise but I made me choices and I took what was coming.

Since I have never served in the UK I can't give a direct comparison but the Life on Mars comments leave a lot to be desired. Policing in Australia and in SA is very different from what I've seen (only on leave visiting) in the UK. Someone mentioned guns. Yes, you carry a S&W.40 s/auto and of course you never expect to use it and thankfully not too many in SAPOL need to do so. More likely to use oc spray and sometimes that bloody useless ASP baton but generally speaking the usually old biffage is what you'll find yourself doing - discreetly and within the bounds of the law of course. Legally you will find you have far more authority as a police officer in SA than you do in the UK. There are not "arrestable offences" here, the arrest power is extremely broad which is why it's administratively controlled despite the law being clear on the original authority of constables. Because in SA you can be required to serve anywhere you will find a lot of variety in police work. I served in the outback in my first few years and had a wonderful time there.

Don't expect some sort of automatic promotion. You'll get treated like everyone else and merit is how you get promoted, plus you have to pass the exams and gain the theoretical qualifications. There is no OSPRE in SA, it's all internal. Your experience in the UK will be assessed as part of your suitability for a position for promotion, it won't be ignored but unless you package it properly in your application (if you get in you'll find a lot of helpful info on job applications on the SAPOL Intranet site - should be useful I wrote some of them myself :smile: ). Don't assume that service in the UK will automatically put you in front for a job, as you would know, policing is about context, particularly cultural context and the culture here is very different - generally not in the police I mean - from the UK so bear that in mind. I mean a murder inquiry is a murder inquiry but policing generally is carried out in a particular cultural context.

When I was serving I saw quite a few UK coppers join up by themselves, not part of the sponsored groups I mean and most of them did very well in assimilating and getting on with it. The ones who really settled were those who used their previous policing experience to inform their new job role rather than simply relying on the assumed advantage it would give. Other SAPOL coppers were glad of their experience and competence. Again as you would know, coppers appreciate competence demonstrated not talked about.

As for management - patchy at best. The force is dominated by the will of the current Commissioner. As a bloke he is actually quite a decent type, as a Commissioner it's his way or the highway as the saying goes. He served in Victoria Police for most of his professional life so that explains his approach, Vicpol is highly militaristic and quite rigid in its management approach, historically SAPOL has been a little looser and a bit more casual. When Commissioner Hyde succeeded the late Commissioner Hunt a lot of that changed. To some degree it was necessary as SAPOL was slightly moribund, Hyde shook it up and put accountability where it belonged, with his senior people who up to that point had coasted a bit.

You'll find that you have good industrial relations protection with the Police Association. They are extremely effective, best in Australia I would think but then I might be biased since I also worked for them for a few years. But they do work well in keeping management and government honest and have a pretty good rapport with the community which is absolutely important.

Young general duties coppers in SAPOL now do much more than when i was a young bloke. They do it well, they're very good at their job, well-trained, well-equipped and very professional and the job is in excellent hands with them.

The new Academy building is in place soon and about time, the old one was tired. The training programme is okay but could be better but training hasn't been a priority for many years unfortunately.

It's not Life on Mars nor is it Dixon of Dock Green or Z-Cars, it's a good job in a generally good community and I'd recommend it without bias or prejudice.

Guest Heather2011

Do you have to be a serving police officer in the UK to take advantage of their recruitment opportunities? my OH has been out of the UK police for a while and i wondered whether he could get into SA police because of his history...