SAPOL - Whats it like?

Guest bobby50

Guest mark&rachel

Heather, they are desperate for new recruits so i reckon they would snap him up. I think it depends on how long he has been out of the job as to whether they would take prior service into account.

Well worth a 2 minute phonecall to recruitment though to find out

I wasn't intentionaly speeding! 9kph isn't much over.

It isn't and depending on where you were it may have merited a caution or a word in your ear a few years ago. Jeez I used to give at least 10 kph before even thinking about pulling out the book. But now with speed cameras and radar guns and - yes I dare to say it - expectations of numbers of reports - we don't have a chance. Bloody shame because it really pisses off the public which has a very keen sense of fair play on this. Again, depends on where you were, time, road conditions and all the rest of it. Been pinched 5 kph over by speed cameras myself (that was when I was off duty but still in the job) and it annoyed the bloody hell out of me.

Excellent post Royd...loved it. I have just heard back from my application, and it was refused in 2 days. It is because i have 2 visible tatts on my lower arms, it is a shame as i have a number of years (i am 36) working in social roles (not policing) and i think it would of enhanced me and the offering i could of made to the job. I am now putting in for WAPOL as they do not discriminate (their words not mine) about tatts...thank the lord. I was told by a senior officer the same about the commissioner ie; his way or no way...lol. (and he really does not like hand, neck, face and lower than sleeve tatts...so check before you apply if that is you)

Ridz1975

• 1 month later...
U have to return to the academy after 12 months for training review etc and only a couple of months ago was one proby with a full sleeve??? I don't get why they said no.

Since my last post I have heard from WAPOL and they have now decided that they no longer want people with Tatt's either...oh well!

So now I have a set date for my assessments for QLD POL...as they say 3rd time lucky...for them that is....lol.

QLD POL say that you must minimise the sight of Tatt's by wearing a long sleeved shirt...I though it was hot here in Adelaide...

R175. :policeman: I hope.... ;-)

Slightly off topic but perhaps it will eventually be relevant. The issue of visible tattoos amazes me, it really does. Okay tatts on the face or neck are a bit off for coppers but on the arms?????? Unless it's a naked sheila doing a hula every time you flex then what's the big deal? Funnily enough though I remember when the fear of visible tattoos was used by SAPOL's management to enforce the long sleeves rule winter and summer. Oh and wearing a hat and tie was compulsory day and night and regardless of weather. In the early years of my career I worked in the very far north and because they were in isolated areas we didn't wear ties in summer and we rolled up our long sleeves (khaki uniforms). I was posted to Port Augusta from the north in 1974 and I remember sitting in a patrol car without air conditioning wearing a cap and tie and long sleeves in the middle of a stinking hot Port Augusta summer day. Ridiculous. And they wonder why we used to park the car under a pepper tree at Stirling North for half a day shift in summer????

When the push was on to give coppers in SAPOL short sleeves (but still having to wear a tie) the "visible tattoos" objection was rolled out. Luckily the Police Association eventually won that battle but fair dinkum how bloody ridiculous is it to expect people to wear that sort of uniform in our heat?

So it is with visible tattoos. So bloody what? It's the quality of the person wearing the uniform, not the art gallery on their forearms that is important. I mean look at Popeye :smile:

Anyway best of luck with QPOL. It's a department in a bit of trouble at the moment, it has a history of politicisation even beyond that of most other Australian forces and the mail I get is that quite a number of "retreads" who go there from other forces are disillusioned. But anyway all you can do is give it a try and see how it goes for you.

Guest The Standrings

hi i read this thread and decided to contact sapol regarding full sleeve tattoo as i have one. i was asked to send pictures in to see if it was appropriate which its a koi fish and waves and flowers. i got an e mail back saying management said it was not in there dress code. i really wanted to become a police officer but arghh well

darren